Model Shipways

Worldway

I feel it's appropriate that I mention Model Shipways.  When I received my Bluenose kit, one of the dowels for the mast was warped (quite noticeably).  I sent them an email and within two weeks I received two replacements, no questions asked. Top notch customer service. I doubt if any Chinese knock off company would do the same.  I plan to purchase more Model Shipways models in the future.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Wait for the sale.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Sale, what sale????

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

There goes one now!!!!  Model Expo/Model Shipways regularly has sales.  Get on their mailing list and they will let you know when they are.  Figure out what you want to do for your next project (or maybe the one after that).  When it comes up on sale, go for it.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I bought the Model Shipways "Rattle Snake" at half price during one of their sales a few years ago. Recently I decided to have a go at it. It is the most disappointing kit I have come across so far. The frames are laser cut from a very fragile soft material that breaks easily. I damaged two of them while assembling the keel and frames. Funny thing was that the blocks of wood supplied for carving into fillers for the bow and stern are reasonable hard material. Only soft wood is supplied for everything else, including parts that are traditionally made of hard wood, such as the cover plates and the rubbing strips of the hull, the keel plate and rudder. Included as laser cut prefab parts are the window frames, again in soft wood. These are so thin and fragile that one needs the steady hands of a skilled surgeon to handle them. The most laughable are the Britannica metal cast parts which Model Shipways bought en bulk from their Chinese supplier. They didn't bother to remove the Chinese price tag attached to the plastic beg. Unless one is willing to fabricate and replace a large number of parts with better material, it is going to be a 'cheap and nasty' model. After a frustrating week working on it, I decided to put it aside and start of the AL Endeavor 

No wonder it was offered at half price.