Need advice for what to do with Dad's beautiful ship models

Sarahbday

Hello,

I am a new member and the daughter of a someone who made ship modeling his life's passion. Dad has now passed away, and after giving part of his collection of ship models to family and friends, we are left with 7 ships that we'd like to give to someone, anyone, who might appreciate them. His favorite is a replica of Flying Cloud. I don't know the names of the other ships, but I can provide photos next week.

We're not looking to sell them. We just can't bear the thought of throwing them in a dumpster, since Dad put so much love and care into each hand-carved hull and put meticulous detail into every single project. Any advice on what we can do with these beautiful models? We are located in northwest Connecticut. Thank you!

Sarah Day

My condolences on your dad's passing; it is a difficult time to work through such decisions. Have you considered contacting various public entities, such as libraries or government offices, who might want to have something attractive on display? Placed in a nice case, a beautiful model can inspire and engage people passing by every day, even if the office isn't directly related to anything nautical. Perhaps even a retirement home or other care facility might have a corner where patients might enjoy the sight of such a visually interesting piece of artwork. In other words, I'd say cast a wide net for public facilities that might be "spruced up" by one of your dad's models. Even a local restaurant, law office, or other business might be willing to include one in their decor somewhere; it can't hurt to ask, especially as you are not looking to sell them.

Best of luck to you. Models are tough, as most of their inherent value is to the builder and their immediate relations. I hope you can find a way to help your dad's work live on and inspire others.

Sarah,

Some time ago there was a discussion of this topic. If you look up "where do models go" on the search function you will find it under General Nautical Discussion.

You will find a post from me suggesting that models be donated to fund raising events in support of organizations that offer youth sailing programs. Of particular interest are "Community Sailing Programs." These programs typically offer,low cost sailing lessons and boat use to everyone. Here in Duluth ours began as part of our city's Parks and Recreation Department. At least this way your dad's models will wind up in the hands of someone with a sailing interest. You live close to a hotbed of sailing so you should be able to find an organization.

Yes! By all means, post some pictures. We would all like to have a chance to appreciate your dad's work.

Roger

You will find in us an eager audience who will be happy to offer ideas about the collection of ships. Also we just love ship models so I'm sure we are all looking forward to seeing photos of the models! Most model builders work in isolation (beyond our family and friends of course) and for the most part our models are never seen by the wider world. Here at Model Ship World you have a platform that allows the entire interested world to see the models.

Niagara USS Constitution 

All of the above. If that fails, talk to a local auction house, you will not get much, but you will know that  the new owner paid hard-earned cash for them. Look out for interior designers, they like exotic items. Bars and restaurants with a sailing or nautical theme are another option.

Sarah you should try your local library they would love to have them for display.

Mark

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Hello Sarah,

My condolences on your father's passing.

You might also consider donating one or more ships to a school.

Kind regards,

Anja

Edited by Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Sarah,

I am so sorry to hear of your dads passing. His passion for his hobby must have brought much joy to the entire family.

I live nearby in lower Fairfield County and would love to have the opportunity to obtain one of his models. I belong to

the Connecticut Marine Modelers Society that gathers each month at the University of New Haven. In our 50 years of

existence we have experienced several of our members "pass over the bar", so to speak, leaving their families with the

same decision. Perhaps we can offer some help as many of our 40 members live in this part of Connecticut. Not sure 

how you can contact me privately but am sure one of the administrators will help.

John Elwood

Stratford, CT

Hi Sarah:

So sorry to hear about your dad. I'm 67 now and have building models for over 40 years. If you visit my post you will see my brief story about my poor eye sight and a little shake in my hands. I walked away from building until one day I was at an estate sale where several models were available. My first thought was the time and pleasure some had building these models. Some were in bad shape but I could not lease them behind. I purchased all of the and each model I restored and brought them back to life. The long and short of this I was saving a piece of history. What ever you do make sure they fall into the hands of people that will appreciate this very important and value piece of history. Your father would be very proud knowing someone else could love these models as much as he did. I live just across the boarder at Houlton Maine and do have many family members in West Port and Wilton. Thank you Sarah and if you don't mind I will follow along with you. Pat at Skiff Lake 

Sarah,

I know what you are going through.  I had a relative pass away who was a bit of a hoarder when it can to plastic models.  I bought a glass display case and put  maybe 25-30 on display in my house.  Problem is I had to rent a storage unit to store the thousands that he had collected over the years.  They are all very nice models just sitting boxed up.  I have given away many over the years.  Some to children, some to veterans.  I know what you mean about not being able to throw them in a dumpster.  Good luck with finding new homes for the ships.  I have enjoyed giving the models away to people that have really enjoyed them.  It may just take a little time.

Duane 

Hi Again Sarah:

I might mention there is a lot of great advice above especially from John in Stanford. I have been restoring old models for the past five year and you can preview just a few on my profile pictures. also make sure you save a few for you and your family. I have a new six month old grandson and my plan is not only to teach him about model building but also the importance of preserving  of saving a piece of history. thank you Sarah. Pat