Anyone familiar with Mantua's "Santa Lucia" Sicilian Cargo Boat?

RFP

Found this interesting Mantua kit (https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/1_Model_Boats___Ships/Panart_model_boats/_744_Santa_Lucia_46.html) but search as I may, I can't find out much about it.  I'm wondering if anyone here is familiar with it, or, even better, has built it.  

I'm still digging around for my 'first build' after a 30-year "break" from the hobby, and I'll have to admit a bit of reluctance to purchase a kit from anyone other than Model Expo in view of their widely reported excellent support and customer service.  Clearly, I need counseling!

All the best!

Rob

Hi Rob,

I cannot comment directly on this kit. But there is a very similar kit made by Mamoli (named "Leudo" ). Actually, it is quite common to share the plans, give different names and scales to the identical model across the European companies. One model builder is building this Mamoli thing (unfortunatelly build log is not in English http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=100656)and found the kit quite problematical. Not only the bulkheads does not match the plan, they are not even symmetrical! The supplied timber was of the low quality too. He decided to build it actually a new like from scratch. Is such a kit worthy to be built? If you have some special attraction to this particular vessel type, go for it. If you look for some good starter kit, I would be very cautious here, if not directly look elsewhere. Just my opinion.

While I was living in US I had too very good experience with Model Expo. Ended with them due to the very bad experience regarding overseas orders though. But If I were you, would probably stick with them, possibly try BlueJacket Shipcrafters as other option?

Edited by juhu

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Completed: Smuggler

Rob,

I built the Panart/Mantua armed launch. It was a fairly easy build, you had to be careful with the planking noting 1 layer and could be seen from the inside. In that kit the wood supplied was good, fittings were above average, sail cloth was fair,a little to heavy. Plans were very good. Instructions left a lot to be desired. I would buy from them again.

I built this a long time ago before I was a member hence no log. Grant Dale (Gdale) posted a build long not too long ago look at it

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Glad Tidings is a really nice kit. Not too hard to plank and the instructions are very well done. I built the kit earlier this year and really enjoyed it. I made a number of modifications to the deck layout to make it more like a work boat than a pleasure boat. If you'd like to see pictures of mine, they are on my website - http://modelboatyard.com/pinky.html

I hope you enjoy the build.

Cheers -

John

If it's a Mamoli kit, hang tight.  Daniel Dusek bought Mamoli out after their fire and will be (or is in the process) of reissuing many of their kits.  I believe from what I've heard, he's laser cutting the wood, etc. 

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If it's a Mamoli kit, hang tight.  Daniel Dusek bought Mamoli out after their fire and will be (or is in the process) of reissuing many of their kits.  I believe from what I've heard, he's laser cutting the wood, etc. 

Thank you, Mark, for your response.  Actually, the kit I was asking about is a Mantua (of Italy) kit.  For some reason, I'm fascinated by these little 'working boats' of the Mediterranean.    Here it is: https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/1_Model_Boats___Ships/Panart_model_boats/_744_Santa_Lucia_46.html

Just checked my Santa Lucia   (shed name 'Santa Rosa'). Looks nice next to my bench. In my opinion a nice kit , if a painted hull and workman like finish

appeals. Good scale for 'rugged stitching' on the sails' , hull timbers were hard to work,but thick enough to sand and fill for a painted, not a clear, finish.

Deck camber makes it unusual but pleasing when finished.Well worth a go.   

regards Digby

Just checked my Santa Lucia   (shed name 'Santa Rosa'). Looks nice next to my bench. In my opinion a nice kit , if a painted hull and workman like finish

appeals. Good scale for 'rugged stitching' on the sails' , hull timbers were hard to work,but thick enough to sand and fill for a painted, not a clear, finish.

Deck camber makes it unusual but pleasing when finished.Well worth a go.   

regards Digby

Thanks, Digby... and chance you can post a photo oir two?

Rob

Thanks so much, Digby, that is absolutely gorgeous!  Although, to my mostly-beginner eyes, it looks like a terrifying build... the double planking seems kind of scary.  

So far, my only experience with hull planking was when I actually planked the solid hull of my Bluejacket Constitution (their mid-1980s version).  It took forever, but when completed, I thought it looked great... then I painted the hull (!) and learned than painting over nicely fitted planking pretty much makes the planking disappear... well, if one uses too much paint, I suppose.  Oh well, I'm still proud of my Constitution!  If only I had known about this Forum before I did the copper tape below the waterline...  :huh:

post-27008-0-83772200-1485875483.jpg

Edited by RFP

RFP, nice work on the Constitution, the Lucia should be a breeze but it's construction is single plank not double. Slow and steady is the way to go.

regards Digby

Thanks, Digby...

But, now I'm terribly confused.  Here's a site ( http://www.modellismo.net/forum/navi-e-velieri-work-progress/75397-leudo-siciliano-1-30-santa-lucia-panart-mantua-6.html) that shows a build log of the Mantua kit with double planking.  Even more discouraging is that the log stops abruptly over six years ago... uncompleted at that point.  

Perhaps double planking is an option and not necessary.  Your finished model is spectacular!

Rob