When is the best time to attach sails?

I'm currently building the Heller HMS Victory and have a set of aftermarket sails I want to use. When I built my Model Shipways Privateer Rattlesnake I added the sails after I had installed and rigged the yardarms and that worked ok - but the rigging on the Victory is more complex and perhaps it's better to attach the sails to the yardarms before they are installed and rigged on the ship. Any thoughts?

post-26602-0-62803000-1485632256_thumb.jpg

post-26602-0-80875500-1485632314_thumb.jpg

post-26602-0-41618800-1485632344_thumb.jpg

Paul

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:

Brigantine Phoenix - Master Korabel 1/72 scale

PREVIOUS BUILDS:

HMS Victory - Heller/Imai 1/100 scale

Privateer Rattlesnake - Model Shipways 1/64 scale 

USS Arizona on Dec 7th 1941 - Trumpeter 1/200 scale

IJN Yamato - Nichimo 1/200 scale 

USS Silversides - Trumpeter 1/72 scale 

USS Missouri - Trumpeter 1/200 scale

English Carronade - Mantua 1/17 scale

English Gun Deck - Panart 1/23 scale

Check out my webiste:   www.bishophobbies.com

• 3 weeks later...

Your vessel is a bit different then my ship...Great Republic(clipper).  However, in the past(I have yet to get to the sail portion yet), I always attached the sail to the yard of ship....so that I could make all the rigging additions such as leach and bunt lines an most importantly the blocks at the jackstays that they run through.  Once finalized it was only a matter of running these lines through their appropriate blocks underneath the cross trees.  Plus you can hang the mast via parrels or truss and sling.

I built a jig to hold the yard from tip to tip and dressed it with sail and rigging..then fixed it to the yard.  No rustling or wrestling fore and back stays.

Good luck....OH..were those sails premade that you got aftermarket..ready to hang?

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

• 1 month later...

I'm far from expert level, but I just finished a set of sails,(my first), and I added as much as possible to the attached sail before securing to the masts. Basically, I put the reefs, bunt-lines, and clew-lines etc on to save fiddling on the model, and I did that after the standing rigging. I found the blocks easier to thread off the model than they were attached. 

All the best, Matt.

Hello.

I usually do all that can be done off the ship, hanging sails included. I usually first dress all the spars,mount them on the mast, hang the sails, and attach all possible lines to the sails. Only then, I put the masts in place.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!