Biloxi lugger Captain Roy 1948 by russ - 1/48 scale - POB - Finished

Some more progress. The two pieces of the profile former have been glued together and the reinforcing spline attached to one side. Once the keel, stem, and sternpost have been attached, the other side of the profile former will get a reinforcing piece as well.

The stem has been shaped and glued on, and the deadwood and sternpost have been attached to the keel.

The profile former is nice and straight so I am glad I made it in two pieces.

Russ

post-164-0-06167200-1487487863_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-84719400-1487487890_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-69897600-1487487909_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-53300600-1487487928_thumb.jpg

That's great progress Russ with a nice transition for the rabbet.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Here we have the framing almost complete. The knightheads will go in next. Once the framing is complete, I will spend some time fairing the hull. That process will take several days to make sure I have a good fair surface for planking. Once that is complete, I can begin lining off the hull for planking.

Russ

post-164-0-97764700-1487661638_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-54486500-1487661660_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-27222900-1487661682_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-09326100-1487661701_thumb.jpg

Nice lugger and I especially like the sharp curved lines of the ship. A real wave cutting bow. You can find these shapes back in modern ships today like the new SAR boats of the KNRM and pilotboats.

...and slowly she emerges :) That is really looking like the form of yet another very nice set of lines Russ

cheers

Pat

Kees:

Thanks. I also think she has nice lines. The upright stem is an attractive feature on these boats.

Russ

Pat:

Thanks. I am very pleased with the shape thus far.

Russ

Well, I have done it now. No guts, no glory. The bulkhead frames are glued in. No turning back now.

Russ

frames glued uo bow.JPG

frames glued up stern.JPG

I like the sheer line of this hull, a graceful curve, Looking forward to the planking Russ.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael:

Thanks. The sheer line is an important design feature of these luggers. If it is not correct, it will show. :) 

Russ

Lawrence:

Thanks for the kind words. I also find the lines of these boats very appealing, especially up forward. The planking should be fun. :)

Russ

Whilst waiting for some supplies to arrive, I got to work on the pilot house. The house sits on a raised base and that was the first order of business.

Here is how I made the base. I made it this way to be able to more easily and in the round up of the bulkhead frame tops into the bottom of the base.

Russ 

pilot house base detail.JPG

pilot house base detail 1.JPG

pilot house base frame.JPG

pilot house base floor.JPG

pilot house base small.jpg

very nice Russ.........hull frame is looking very nice too.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks. I have been working with the pilot house a bit the last few days. I will post some progress on that soon.

Russ

Here are some pics of the early work on the pilot house. This is my first pass at the pilot house structure, but I may have another go at it. Not sure at this point.

In the pics, everything is dry fitted. The framing is extra heavy because I am looking for some rigidity. It will be hidden in the finished product.

Russ

pilot house dry fit forward.JPG

pilot house door side.JPG

pilot house on base dry fit.JPG

If hidden, the framing size does not matter as long as it fits the required space :) save yourself some additional work unless it looks hideously over engineered :)

cheers

Pat

Pat:

The challenge here is that the inside of the pilot house will be visible, as opposed to a schooner's trunk cabin interior which is not. In this pilot house, I will need to install the interior paneling, dashboard with wheel, and the bunk. I am working it out, little by little, but it is a challenge to get it to look right.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

I have moved ahead with the subdeck. I wanted to install this prior to finishing the sanding of the outer hull so I could have a little more rigidity while I complete the hull fairing. First I cut and fitted the paper template and then used the template to make and fit the actual subdeck. Once the subdeck is glued in place, I can proceed with hull fairing and then planking. Here are the photos.

Russ

subdeck pattern bow.JPG

subdeck marked stern.JPG

subdeck marked bow.JPG

subdeck port.JPG

framing bow view.JPG

Just one photograph for now. This is a bit out of focus, but you can see the sheer line is shaping up nicely.

Russ

sheer line starboard.JPG

Niiiiiiiiiice.....   she has lovely sheer, Russ.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The bulwark stanchions need to be trimmed down about 1/16" square or nearly square. Here is an instance where a choice that I made early on has worked in my favor. I decided to have the grain of the wood on the bulkhead frames run vertically. On the schooner model, I had it running horizontally and I had several of the bulwark stanchions snap on me. I decided in that case to make the stanchions as separate pieces that were glued to the inside of the bulwark planking. That worked but it was extremely fussy work. On this model, I really wanted to have the stanchions as part of the bulkhead frames so I chose to cut the bulkhead frames with the grain running vertically. The stanchions are much more rigid and they were fairly easy to trim using a small razor saw. This worked so well that I think I will follow this practice on subsequent models.

Here is a photograph showing their appearance after trimming. Not too bad.

Russ

bulwark stanchions trimmed port.JPG

Looks very good Russ; nice trimming work.  Great decision on the wood grain, always pays to have the strength of the wood working for you.

cheers

Pat

Pat:

Thanks. There is a down side to this. I use commercially available pre milled sheets and on a larger scale model this would mean more wood to be used, but the rewards outweigh the costs.

Russ

look'in good since the last time I was in ;)   I used to buy the modeler's plywood sold in craft stores.............now I buy the 3/16 half sheets from Home Depot and rip them down into 12 inch wide slices.    pretty cost effective enough for me :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch