Biloxi lugger Captain Roy 1948 by russ - 1/48 scale - POB - Finished

Thanks to all who have visited, commented, and liked. Both sides of the hull are now planked below the deck. Not as good as I would like, but it came out okay.

Russ

progress planking complete bow view 7-18-2017.JPG

progress planking complete bow quarter 7-18-2017.JPG

16 minutes ago, russ said:

Thanks to all who have visited, commented, and liked. Both sides of the hull are now planked below the deck. Not as good as I would like, but it came out okay.

Russ

Nope.. not "okay"... it came out great. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Kenneth:

Exactly. The model will always keep me humble. That and the camera that sees everything I do not.

Russ

I'd be extremely happy for an outcome like that........really nice looking hull! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sam:

Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate it.

Russ

Elia:

Good to hear from you. Thanks for the kind words. I also like the stem and how it affects the planking. That is one of my favorite aspects of this hull form.

Russ

A little more progress the past few days. I began work on the bulwarks for this lugger. These vessels have a lightly planked bulwark and there is a slot left open at deck level to clear water from the deck. These vessels often come back to the dock with the decks awash because of their heavy load of shrimp or oysters.

My challenge is to make sure that this long open slot is of a uniform width for its complete length. I needed a jig to ensure that uniform spacing. I used scrap material of the same thickness as the opening and then glued several pieces of it inboard to a piece of decking material. The jig can be slid in place when and where necessary. It is temporarily nailed to the subdeck to ensure that it follows the sheer of the deck. It does not look pretty, but it got the job done. Once the glue holding the bulwarks planking to the stanchions has dried, the jig can be removed.

Maybe this will help someone with a similar issue.

Russ

bulwarks spacing jig.JPG

bulwarks jig inboard.JPG

bulwarks progress outboard view.JPG

John:

Exactly. I love it when a jig works well. :)

Russ

A simple and very effective jig; a well thought out solution Russ.  Looks good.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat:

Thanks. This will be very useful for me since many of these local vessels have that same scupper slot along the deck.

Russ

Sam:

Thanks. I agree and it works out well for me since my jigs are never that pretty. :) 

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

There is a little progress to report. The starboard bulwark is complete. This was tedious. The result are not all that I hoped, but this model will be painted so it will probably not be that noticeable. I learned a few good lessons that can be applied to the next model. That is never a bad thing. :)

Russ

progress 8-10-2017 starboard bulwark sheer line.JPG

progress 8-10-2017 starboard bulwark complete.JPG

progress 8-10-2017 starboard bulwark inboard.JPG

A tad of filler and a lick of paint will fix it but I don't see too much amiss there Russ.  Did you have the lens cranked to max zoom when looking?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)