Nuestra Señora del Pilar by Anja & Sjors - FINISHED - OcCre - Scale 1:46

:piratebo5: all,

My Halve Maen build was already on hold, but during our move to a new house in November 2015, she got lost because one of our friends put her box on the pavement instead of in our car.

After that the enthusiasm to build was completely gone. I spent last year enjoying my other hobbies.

But, as a Dutch saying goes: 'Blood is thicker than water' and the urge to build another ship came back.

So, May I present to you the Spanish Galleon Nuestra Señora del Pilar De Zaragoza (Our lady of the pillar of Zaragoza), a Spanish Treasure Galleon.

post-45-0-78515700-1485712725.jpg

Measurements

Length: 1110 mm

Height: 970 mm

Width: 520 mm

History

During the 17th and 18th centuries Spanish galleons served the Spanish crown as merchantmen and warships. Many of them sailed between Acapulco and Manila, transporting South American silver to the Philippines and exotic goods from Asia to Mexico, from where the treasures were sent back to Spain.

Commisioned in 1731 and launched in 1733, Nuestra Señora del Pilar de Zaragoza (Our Lady of the Pillar of Zaragoza) was one of these Manila Galleons built of the finest Philippine wood, she was 112 feet on deck and displaced 1,000 tons. A 4th rate of the Cavogonda class, she was fitted with 50 cannon, two stern chasers and six swivel guns. She carried a crew of 385 men.

For twenty years she sailed the route from Mexico to Manila and in 1750 underwent a complete refit in the Port of Cavite. In 1750, on her last voyage, she set sail from Manila bound for Acapulco. Despite being overloaded, and contrary to the opinion of both pilots and Master, her Captain insisted on weighing anchor at the beginning of September. En route for the Mariana Islands, in the Pacific, they began to have difficulties after sailing into a heavy storm, and she sank taking all of her crew down with her.

post-45-0-82615700-1485711282_thumb.jpg

Frames dry fit.

post-45-0-00737800-1485711293_thumb.jpg

Frames glued in place. Reinforcing pieces not glued yet.

post-45-0-42683300-1485711306_thumb.jpg

Frames glued in place.

post-45-0-83805400-1485711316_thumb.jpg

Last three frames fitted and glued. Reinforcing pieces glued.

post-45-0-28996800-1485711327_thumb.jpg

Close-up bow section

post-45-0-38746000-1485711341_thumb.jpg

Close-up stern section

Enjoy and thank you for watching.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

I'm in to watch and learn

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hi Anja,

Good to see you back... I'm following also now that Sjors has the popcorn machine.  post-76-0-59450000-1485734199.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

hi Anja.......good to see you've started another build log.   I look forward in following along  :)                                                                                                                                                      

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello all,

It is good to welcome old friends. Thank you all for stopping by,

@ John,

Thanks for being so observant. I just removed the part about the naval battle.

And to answer your question, she is an OcCre model.

@ Mark,

Will you be starting your buildlog soon?

Regards,

Anja

Edited by Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

So Anja, someone stole the Halve Maen, or you just left her on the pavement when your friend drove off? That must have been a real disappointment. All that work for nothing. I have a nice word in Dutch for that, but I will hold my tongue.

Good luck on this galleon.

Marcus

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Marcus, just to expand on your choices, and not to imply anything of the sort could have happened to Anja, a friend of mine was transporting a fairly large model of a small rowing boat and set the model down while he opened the back of the car to load it.  He got distracted  and failed to load the model before he backed out of the driveway.  It took him a few years to get over the trauma.

Hi Anja,

Great that you started a new build(ingblog).

Poor Sjors, now his netting will never come to an end :D :D :D

Many years ago I also build a Spanish Gallion (1607). Just a plastic one, but oke...

I took a picture of it, but with the Agamemnon in the background, it looks a bit poor....

post-3817-0-37326100-1486041204_thumb.jpg

Hello Anja:

What a beautiful ship. I have put my eyes over her several times, specially because her history is somewhat related to México.

I will keep an eye on your build and my hands on Sjors' popcorn machine :)

Oh, and welcome back!!!

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hello Anja:

What a beautiful ship. I have put my eyes over her several times, specially because her history is somewhat related to México.

I will keep an eye on your build and my hands on Sjors' popcorn machine :)

Oh, and welcome back!!!

buenas Ulises hoye que barco es este de tu perfil ? parece muy bonito

buenas Ulises hoye que barco es este de tu perfil ? parece muy bonito

Hola Django.

It is the Royal Louis, my present build. Please follow link in my signature for a full build log and more photos! :)

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Hello friends,

Thank you all for the compliments and the likes and welcome to my build log.

@ Django - Santisima Trinidad is a fantastic looking ship when finished. Good choice.

@ Marcus - I think my Halve Mean is sitting on other people's mantelpiece (or maybe even in the mantelpiece :( )

@ Wayne - With popcorn you are allowed to make a little mess, as long as you clean up afterwards. cleaner-smiley-emoticon.gif

@ Hennie - Don't worry about Sjors' netting, it is still a work in progress. Three more to go.  Oh, before I forget, I need netting to. Isn't that convenient.

@ Ulises - Yes, she is indeed a beauty.  And to keep her beautiful, I decided not to use the bright colors OcCre used.  I will use the Admiralty paints yellow ochre, red ochre, dull black and French blue.

And now it is time for an update. Enjoy.

post-45-0-46575800-1486308822_thumb.jpg  The deck came in four parts.  Glued two of the parts together and planked the starboard and port side separately.

post-45-0-10905700-1486308847_thumb.jpg  The lined sections of the deck were glued onto the structure of the ship.

post-45-0-71139700-1486308854_thumb.jpg  Reinforcing parts glued in place on each side of the false keel and on the bow frame.

post-45-0-43894400-1486308865_thumb.jpg  Glued eleven gun ports to each side of the deck and started the lining onto the interior of the frames.

Thank you for watching.

Anja

@ Ulises - Yes, she is indeed a beauty.  And to keep her beautiful, I decided not to use the bright colors OcCre used.  I will use the Admiralty paints yellow ochre, red ochre, dull black and French blue.

Excellent. It has always be my feeling that the easiest and quickest way to ruin this kind of ships, is paint it with shiny colors!!!

very nice progress Anja  :)    sounds like turnaround is fair play with the nets  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hoi Anja, good seeing you back building.  With your permission I'd like to join in on the progress of this marvelous ship.  My goodness, you are moving fast.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Riccardo1966

Hello Anja, she's looking good and very tidy.

I have lost a lot of nice builds also :(  I sympathise deeply.

Best of luck with this build.

Regards Richard

Anja!  I'm late to the party! I didn't realize you started a new build.

I blame Sjors, he Should've told me. :P 

Hello friends,

Thank you all for the compliments and the likes.

And a warm welcome to Ulises, Denis, Piet, Richard and Sean,

It is high time for an update, however small.

Glued the lining onto the interior of the frames.

Made an offset in the lining in the areas coinciding with the support for the crossbeams.

Cut the crossbeams to size.

58b4647cb71d5_11-Gluedtheliningontotheinterioroftheframes.thumb.jpg.7177a5ebdd604cff0630cf01579073eb.jpg

Planked the forecastle deck.  In contrast to the waist deck, I decided to simulate caulking.

For this I used India ink fro Faber-Castell (PITT artist pen, black 199 ***).

It is a bit getting used to, because the planks are so thin. But it looks better with than without the caulking.

58b4673a4cced_12-Forecastledeckplanked.thumb.jpg.58655f1c71aa6aa44f23f6fbfe0fade6.jpg

Dry fitted the forecastle, the sections of the hold deck, the sections of the quarter deck and the crossbeams.

58b469b11ef41_13-Overview-Forecastleholddeckandquarterdecksectionsandcrossbeamsdryfitted.thumb.jpg.0e0893697803b1ba8a8a92d16e743b21.jpg

So far, so good. To be continued..........

Thank you for watching,

Regards,

Anja

Nice work, Anja.  The caulking does look good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I use the same type of archive pen.........looks great Anja :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: