I am interested in purchasing a book published by Ancre Publications. The recently published book does not appear to be available from any of my usual US sources (Amazon, Alibris, etc.). I realize that Ancre is a reputable company but I have no experience with buying books from foreign sources and from them in particular.

Can anyone who has purchased books from them offer me any advice? Do they have a US dealer that either stocks their books or who can order from them?

Roger

Order directly from their website - very reputable and reliable company, and no problems with international postage.

I ordered directly from their site. It is both in French and English. The language will not pose any problem. They do not deliver through retailers, just from their site. So not much choice in booksellers ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I have placed two orders directly to them. Takes very long to arrive but other than that not problems whatsoever. My second order was a (rather expensive ) book in Spanish which I had purchased years before in French  It was delivered in an unacceptable condition. I emailed them photos and a complaint. They never answered, but a few days later a brand new, plastic sealed book arrived. No questions asked, no returning of the damaged book asked. Very reliable company.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I just ordered the La Belle Poule monograph from them in Wednesday evening 1/19 and only paid for the slow 5 Euro postage.  The book was shipped Thursday 1/19.  It arrived from France to Colorado a week later on Friday 1/27.  I ordered another book from them a year or so ago and it was shipped the next day and arrived within 10 days or so.

Erik

Are the books all French language? Was looking at the Le Mecure mongoraph, tempted but I do not speak French!

Hi Gemma

They have a button on the page which shows the publications that are available in Anglais (English) - not all I'm afraid but very many and some of the most important..

Cheers Pete

Thanks Pete, didn't spot that before, seems the mongraph I want is French only, but as half of it is plans and a future project will almost certainly require me researching Le Mecure, I guess it's still on the radar  :)  :)

I know how you feel - I don't think I have enough years left in me to finish one of Ed Tosti's Beautiful HMS Naiad - so I'm sorely tempted to go for L'Amarante being built here by Giampie.

The L'Amarante monogram is only available in Italian and French but I've just about convinced myself to buy it anyway as plans are plans and use Giampie's great build log here on site. That of course is after a 1/35 MTB for my brothers and my undertaking to restore my old Billings Norske Loeve.

Cheers Pete

A few years back I researched the Blohm & Voss BV 138 flying boat. Most of the material was in German. It was less of a problem than I thought to be honest as I started to pick up what things were in the text quite quickly, I still remember a Querruder is German for aileron! As you say plans are plans, also illustrations still say a thousand words! Some of the common terms will make themselves clear too.  ;)

Don't tell me you are an ex "Plastic Tragic" too ;-) - Cheers Pete

Thanks Guys!

The book that I am going to order is "The Ship's Longboat 16980- 1790. For a number of years I have been interested in building series models built to the same scale (1:32)'of warship's boats from different periods. I am well on my way to completing the third boat in the series, a Royal Navy Longboat based on a drawing published in May's warship boat book. Detailed information is hard to find so I was excited to find that Ancre has published this new book.

Roger

Hi Roger,

exist a build log of your long boat? I am very interested to see your model.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

No, I don't have a build log. I began the model before I joined the forum and at the moment the model looks pretty rough. I will try to post some material.

Many years ago, the company that I worked for was working on a joint bid with a Spanish company to supply piping assemblies for a power plant in Spain. The drawings were of course easy to understand but the specifications which of course we're in Spanish were not. We hired a translator from a local College to provide a translation but his results were unintelligible because he did not understand the engineering terms. I eventually found out that I could figure out what was going on by relating Spanish terms to the technology that I understood. For example it is easy to make the connection between "vapour" and "steam". I suspect that the same would be true for Ancre's books only available in French. Fortunately, my book is available in English and I was greeted this morning with an email asking which version that I wanted.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

I know how you feel - I don't think I have enough years left in me to finish one of Ed Tosti's Beautiful HMS Naiad - so I'm sorely tempted to go for L'Amarante being built here by Giampie.

The L'Amarante monogram is only available in Italian and French but I've just about convinced myself to buy it anyway as plans are plans and use Giampie's great build log here on site. That of course is after a 1/35 MTB for my brothers and my undertaking to restore my old Billings Norske Loeve.

Cheers Pete

Hello,

The monograph of L'Amarante is not an Ancre production, it can be found here, in its author / publisher web site.

GD

Also remember Abe Books, which pulls together the stock of a zillion smaller booksellers. I bought my copy of Boudriot's French frigates book there at a reasonable price, and they had about 25 listed in several different printings and covers. I got the limited edition leather bound with nice paper because for some reason it wasn't more expensive than the non-special ones, and very happy I did so, paper and printing quality is as good as it gets.

I bought their monographie Le Cerf, which is a nice cutter of the French Navy from the end of 17. century. The package included a small book of the ship and a set of very well drawn and accurate plans with 12 sheets, everything in English. There are some discrebances in the plans, but careful studying helps understanding them and avoiding mistakes. I am very pleased with the package, and the model of Le Cerf is progressing well:

post-17638-0-97368500-1486367917_thumb.jpg

Are the books all French language? Was looking at the Le Mecure mongoraph, tempted but I do not speak French!

If you have to get one of the French monographs, ANCRE also sell a first-rate double-ended French-English dictionary of maritime terms ("A Marine Vocabulary") by David Roberts, who was Jean Boudriot's translator.

post-15507-0-77341000-1486377914_thumb.jpg

John

Past Builds:
Diorama, Washington & Philadelphia - 1776.  1:144 scale scratch build

Sir Edward Hawke - Schooner, 1776.  1:72 scale scratch build from H Hahn plans

Matthew - 1497.  1:25 scale scratch build from Colin Mudie plans

Mediterranean Cog - 1343.  1:40 scale scratch build from Xavier Pastor plans

Nonsuch - 1650.  1:32 scale Aeropiccola kit

Caustic - gunboat, 1776 . 1:36 scale scratch build

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

John,

I haven't seen that.  I use http://southseas.nla.gov.au/refs/falc/contents.html   Falconer's. 

I have 4 of their monographs and all are worth the price.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The dictionary is well worth-while.  I'm used to reading technical reports in French, but the marine terminology is far from intuitive.  For instance, the French for mizzen mast is artemon, which is what we call  the foremast on Roman vessels, while the French for foremast is misaine !

If you didn't know this, it would be easy to have the ship going backwards. :huh:

John

Past Builds:
Diorama, Washington & Philadelphia - 1776.  1:144 scale scratch build

Sir Edward Hawke - Schooner, 1776.  1:72 scale scratch build from H Hahn plans

Matthew - 1497.  1:25 scale scratch build from Colin Mudie plans

Mediterranean Cog - 1343.  1:40 scale scratch build from Xavier Pastor plans

Nonsuch - 1650.  1:32 scale Aeropiccola kit

Caustic - gunboat, 1776 . 1:36 scale scratch build

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...

https://ancre.fr/en/

Not sure about what a Monograph is, tho.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

The monographs give a good history of the ship and depending on the monograph, detailed plans with lots of notes on the ship's construction..   There's some monographs only suitable for solid hull as they don't have any below deck info.  Others, give you everything in the way of plans... including framing.   Note of caution..  these monographs are basically how the full size ship was built and are really not an instruction manual on "do this... do this next, etc."   

Having said all that... the monographs are definitely wonderful books for reading and great reference works.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey howya goin all, just remember if you buy from https://ancre.fr/en/ not all there books are available in English.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

The monograph assume that you already know the way the ships were built at that period, and they only cover specifics and nuances of a particular vessel. Also, it assumes you are already familiar with the terminology. They are very condensed and detailed descriptions of a very specific ship, basically a set of plans with a very detailed comments.

That would be impossible to understand without reading some more fundamental book first.

For a better background, one probably need to start with the 74 gun ship books, that are fairly costly: https://ancre.fr/en/ouvrages-de-base-en/9-vaisseau-de-74-canons-1780-traite-pratique-d-art-naval-1780-en-quatre-volumes-base-de-la-collection.html#/tome-the_74_gun_ship_1_english

Also, they only talk about the construction practice and history, no useful advices or hints for modellers. It simply describes how the real ships were built, and does not cover "how to build it with the tools we have in a small scale". 

For the better "entry" into the historically accurate construction it would be probably better to start with TFFM or Naiad books - they cover it step-by-step, with a lot of tricks and great illustrations. They also cover the nuances of modelling such ships in a great detail.

Of course, there were quite some differences between the way French and British ships were built, so for the first fully framed model it would be better to start with that books and a British ship. Simply because these books are more friendly than the French ones. 

TFFM: vol1: https://www.seawatchbooks.com/ItemDisplay.php?sku=109004 vol2: https://www.seawatchbooks.com/ItemDisplay.php?sku=109001

Naiad: vol1: https://www.seawatchbooks.com/ItemDisplay.php?sku=112002 vol2: https://www.seawatchbooks.com/ItemDisplay.php?sku=113006

So far TFFM is my main point of reference and the first book I open if I have some question. I read that you already ordered one - you will not be disappointed :) 

To illustrate, photos of the random pages in that books:

Ancre monograph of Le Fleuron:

58d78abd278f4_Foto2017-03-26111947.thumb.jpg.921cc8b0d0c1cf2583add6d97cfc8e3f.jpg

Ancre's 74 gun ship. Note that there is nothing about modelling it, it is only about "how it was constructed".

58d78ab51a6a4_Foto2017-03-26111602.thumb.jpg.8bec0cc7460173de3a69615c4da6ddbb.jpg

TFFM, detailed guide on building a model:

58d78ab8b5337_Foto2017-03-26111814.thumb.jpg.b45e6db3249119abc710925383b5d11e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up 3 volumes in English of the 74 gun ship when I was at the maritime museum in Brest. They didn't have all 4 volumes in English so I held off on one. I read all four when I was in university. My school had the two best nautical libraries I've ever seen. There were several monographs and books in the museum gift shop as well. I could have spent a lot more there if it wasn't for the Canadian dollar's value to the euro.

You should always watch Amazon as well. I was able to pick up a used copy of volume one of the 74 gun ship for only $16 a little bit ago .

I've purchased used books through Amazon. My experience has always been very pleasant. Books are usually almost new at 1/10th of the price. I'm about to receive 6 books purchased in this fashion. Will post details later in the What have you received today thread, but can tell you that I paid about 45 USD for all 6.