L’Etoile by glennreader - FINISHED - Billing Boats - Scale 1:50 - Updated to represent her current fitting out

Michael speaks true.......don't second guess it!   you did an admirable job ;)   the paint work came out great...and you did so much to enhance the rigging!  I did a double take to make sure that it was a Billing's kit.  I do the same thing with the life rings......a tip I got from one of the moderators here.   she's a beautiful vessel...I had to show it to the admiral.......you have her approval as well.    do you have your eye on another project?  I've enjoyed following along :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you for sharing this beautiful model and taking the time to write and photograph your build so carefully. I have really enjoyed it.

• 3 weeks later...

It has been some time since my last post. Mainly because of all the troubles I have had making a stand, but also because I have been spending most of my spare time for the last 2+ weeks marking exam papers.

First I would like to thank Michael, Tim, Popeye and Eric for your kind comments, as well as anyone else who has just looked in. Also I would like to thank everyone who has made a comment or just looked in throughout the build. I really appreciated all the encouragement and support throughout.

Popeye has asked, so: For my next project I currently have two options. My first is the Caldercraft Snake, which I started a long time ago, but unfortunately life got in the way and it was shelved. Then, in Feb 2017, just as I was preparing to restart I got given this kit and decided to do it first. So by rights it should be the Snake next. However At Christmas I received the Scottish Maid kit by AL, which is a topsail schooner as was the Etoile, which I have really enjoyed building. So a dilemma. I would really like to get back to the Snake, as I have hardly started it. But it may take years; it is a much bigger job than the Scottish Maid. So I guess it will be the Scottish maid. With this in mind, as a possibility, a few months ago I got in touch with the SS Great Britain trust and have arranged to visit their archives and examine the plans of the Scottish Maid in the McGregor collection. This visit will take place in about 3 weeks’ time, so nothing will happen with the Scottish maid until then.

So that seems like it is decided, the Scottish Maid, but I really do want to get back to the Snake. I feel if I leave it too long that will be it. Maybe I could do some work on the Snake first. Aanother option is to work on both in parallel, Hmmm.

Above I said I had problems with the stand. This was almost a series of disasters, but it worked out alright in the end, after frequent visits to the local hardware shop for some MDF, glue and screws. If only I had worked out everything before I started I may have only needed a single trip instead of 3.

A tip. Never use spray contact adhesive for veneer. The chap in the shop must have seen me coming: “Yes sir, this is just what you need and it’s on special offer we’re almost giving it away” (because it’s useless).

I had also been waiting to make this post until I had some pictures to go with it. Unfortunately I have just downloaded them and they are not good. I think it was lack of light. I will have to try again sometime. However this is about the best one. At least it shows the model on its stand. Looking at this not sure if the colour of the wood is right, but have not thought this when looking at the real thing. I think a brass plaque is needed.

p99a.thumb.JPG.4be0b77f21d5db7c20aa3d885466fe79.JPG

What I enjoyed most with this build was doing the metalwork, which basically meant just giving it a go and seeing how it turned out. I have always enjoyed metalwork though I have not had the opportunity of doing any for years. What was least enjoyable was doing the rope coils. Also it was my first go at coppering and I was not happy with the results, though I learnt a lot in the process.

I will try and take some better pictures and when I post them I will change the title to finished.

Please look out for my next log, still not 100% sure what it will be.

Glenn

Current Builds

Scottish Maid, V108 Torpedo boat

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

HMS Shark (Sergal), Sirene (Coral), Armed Pinnace (Panart), Etoile Schooner (Billings)

I think the stand looks fine........personally,  I like the model better  :):D    you did an outstanding job on this model Glenn,,,the stand compliments it just fine.

whether you do some work to the snake or start the Scottish Maid,  they are sure to benefit from what you learned on the Etoile.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Excellent sail making and rigging Glenn,

Your " Lètoile "under sails and the superb fitting out details are very well observed from the actual ship, well done.... :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Not a lot to say, again thanks for all the kind comments, the likes and to anyone for just dropping in. Here are the final pictures as promised.

There will however be a slight delay before starting on the next model. I am under orders, from the Admiral, to give the hobbies room a thorough scrub. It must shine like guardsmen's buttons before I am finished. At the same time I will also be giving the kitchen a face lift. New lights, fittings, floor, etc. Paint the door etc.

With this delay and my visit to the Brunel institute just over a week away, It is now almost certain that I will be starting the Scottish maid next. so please keep an eye out for that.

Glenn

p99a.thumb.JPG.cf9d0a6309a2113ca9d1d2d585445195.JPG

p99b.thumb.JPG.1f6db9e227a6011217eb10d64d77c2b5.JPG

p99c.thumb.JPG.1a10dc1456cb545bdb3174b8739b2639.JPG

p99d.thumb.JPG.eeb2b3b98c7063946589c043708175ed.JPG

p99e.thumb.JPG.90d4f9d63bc7b8e1841edcb8b821c041.JPG

p99f.thumb.JPG.997867045a2e39ced0a17e409983f3fb.JPG

Current Builds

Scottish Maid, V108 Torpedo boat

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

HMS Shark (Sergal), Sirene (Coral), Armed Pinnace (Panart), Etoile Schooner (Billings)

• 8 months later...

Thank you for posting this log, really can't find words to describe this excellence 

thank you 

• 1 year later...

thank you for the great photos and progress.  My kit is at least 35 years old if not older.  It was  by Marqueettes Gerard Schmitt.  I started it at lease 35 years ago.  Only the full size prints are available, no instructions.  I have my build log going and will post a few more of the progress.  The actual photos of the boat are very helpful.  Thanks for all you have done on the boat. 

Tom

IMG_9312.JPG

IMG_9301.JPG

• 1 year later...
On 5/7/2018 at 8:59 PM, Cathead said:

Thank you for sharing this beautiful model and taking the time to write and photograph your build so carefully. I have really enjoyed it.

With great interest I'm reading your post. You really did a fantastic job on this build. I was able to get a vintage Billings kit from 1985s and will start building it. It will be my 2nd build and I will use your terrific post to follow with my build. 

• The title was changed to L’Etoile by glennreader - FINISHED - Billing Boats - Scale 1:50 - Updated to represent her current fitting out