Rikon 70-100 woodworking mini-lathe

I own one and for most of what I do with a lathe, I found it to be much too large. It can be useful for tapering long masts but that's all I use it for and there are certainly other ways to do that. I eventually bought a Sherline lathe and find it much more useful. As well, the Sherline allows you to work with metal. For instance, I can turn small brass sheaves on the Sherline but that would be damn near impossible with the Rikon. If I had it to do over again, I surely would not buy the Rikon lathe. Of course, your needs may differ from mine. It's a fine piece of equipment - just not suitable for my needs.

Cheers -

John

Scott, there is a topic regarding lathes in here under the tool section.

I have tried out the Rikon 70-100 at a WoodCraft store, I wouldn't recommend it for our modelling purpose, to big and to much of vibrations.

As the Sherline was mentioned I would like to recommend another (US made) product. The name is Taig and prices are competitive with Sherline.

Check out there website.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

What I understand the Proxxon lathe is not bad at all for the price.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Hi Scott, I am the Proxxon Dealer and one of the Sponsors on this Forum.  PM me for a special price for members here. Just click on the "Proxxon" ad on the right hand side of the main page here on the Forum to go to my website for full specs on the lathe as well as pictures.  I have used the DB 250 lathe for all my ship and model building and it works flawlessly.  It has a hole running through the motor end so that a long dowel can fit through it and allows for a lot of work on the ends of the spars and masts.  My website talks about not shipping to Canada, but I will for members here.  It only is for the outside world.  Just bear in mind that shipping is around $40-50.  With your full address I can quote it properly.  I offer a combo kit which has the accessories.  If nothing else I would recommend the 3-jaw chuck and the chisel set since they are designed for small lathes and small work pieces.  Hope this helps and let me know if I can help.  I owned the lathe before I became a dealer and have used it for years.

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

One suggestion if you decide on Sherline - get the longer-bed lathe (17" vs 8"). When I bought my 8" lathe, I didn't think I'd have any need for the long-bed model, but I was definitely wrong about that. The initial cost difference between the two is around $100 but to upgrade mine now, is over $300. I'd also suggest you give some thought to whether or not you want metal lathe. It's easy to cut wood with a metal lathe, but pretty hard to machine metal with a wood lathe.

Cheers -

John

Hi Scott, I am the Proxxon Dealer and one of the Sponsors on this Forum.  PM me for a special price for members here. Just click on the "Proxxon" ad on the right hand side of the main page here on the Forum to go to my website for full specs on the lathe as well as pictures.  I have used the DB 250 lathe for all my ship and model building and it works flawlessly.  It has a hole running through the motor end so that a long dowel can fit through it and allows for a lot of work on the ends of the spars and masts.  My website talks about not shipping to Canada, but I will for members here.  It only is for the outside world.  Just bear in mind that shipping is around $40-50.  With your full address I can quote it properly.  I offer a combo kit which has the accessories.  If nothing else I would recommend the 3-jaw chuck and the chisel set since they are designed for small lathes and small work pieces.  Hope this helps and let me know if I can help.  I owned the lathe before I became a dealer and have used it for years.

John

Hi John,

I have to admit I was a little disappointing when I saw on your website that you didn't ship to Canada.  However, reading this gives me a renewed confidence.  I'm not prepared to purchase anytime soon but I plan to in the future.  I'm glad to know that you will accommodate.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Derek and Scott.  Thanks for the response.  I had to put that up on my site as I was receiving 4-6 inquiries a week for items to Canada.  I would put in several hours  working up prices, searching shipping cost to find the best rates only to have 95% of the people raise cain about the shipping, accuse me of ripping them off and resulting in no order.  I'm too old for that.  I  only work on a 4-5% margin, Paypal and credit cards charge me 3%.  I do this mainly as a service for modelers and a little supplement to my Social Security.  My volume is not enough for Proxxon to give me a decent discount.  Anyone from Canada reading this and wanting Proxxon tools should PM me with their desires and I'll work you up a price, just bear in mind that shipping costs are probably double what you think they will be.  Maybe Trump's changes to NAFTA will help remedy this.  There is absolutely no reason for these expensive shipping expenses - either way.  So much for my soap box rant....lol.  Let me know if I can help,

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

As I continue research on lathes I wondered if there are any experiences with the taig mini woodworking lathe on offer from lee valley? Looks like you can add a conversion kit for metal. Nirvana, is that the set-up you have? Scott

Currently building:

HM Yacht Chatham - 1:64 - Caldercraft

Scott,

No but I wish.

I have an old dremel lathe, only good enough for shorter pieces of dovels.

Respectfully

Scott,

No but I wish.

I have an old dremel lathe, only good enough for shorter pieces of dovels.

Are these still available? I've seen a few used ones online but that's it?

Pierre.:10_1_10:

All in all it's pretty relaxing when you just take your time.....

Current build

Santa Maria by MarisStella

Completed

Batelina by MarisStella

Pierre, check the inserted clickable link in one of my earlier posts.

You can buy them directly from manufacturer.

Respectfully

Are these still available? I've seen a few used ones online but that's it?

Pierre, check the inserted clickable link in one of my earlier posts.

You can buy them directly from manufacturer.

I do not see anything for the Dremel Lathe...??

Pierre.:10_1_10:

All in all it's pretty relaxing when you just take your time.....

Current build

Santa Maria by MarisStella

Completed

Batelina by MarisStella

Sorry Pierre,

My mistake.

No the Dremel lathe disappeared in 1990.

I haven't been able to find an official year though, so the year 1990 may not be accurate.

Respectfully

I have the Taig lathe, with both metal and wood working accessories.  With the vertical slide, it can do the work of a small milling machine.  Very rigid, and vibration free.    To make it a bit more easy to use, I've added a digital scale to the carriage travel.  I've also built an saw arbor and table so it doubles as my circular saw http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11441-turning-a-lathe-into-a-table-saw/.  

I also have a large Delta woodworking lathe.  While in theory it could be used for modelling work, you'll need to get a chuck for holding small pieces as it's not possible to work with a spur drive, even a tiny version, for small diameter work-pieces.

Edited by lehmann

Bruce

Stay Sharp - Stay Safe

Judgement comes from experience:  experience comes from poor judgement.

• USS Constitution: Scratch build solid hull 1:96 scale

Thank you Lehman.

If you have further info and personal view of how the quality and more regarding the Taig would be great.

Respectfully

Scott,

I understand your question, but it came out funny.

I need to know how to convert wood to metal too, that would make life so much easier.... :P  :D 

Respectfully

It's practically impossible to convert a wood lathe to metal due to the pieces needed probably would necessitate the bed being replaced.  And there's the motor speeds...

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark, on-line, Lee Valley has a taig miniature lathe which can be bought in either a wood or metal configuration (same price). You can then buy the accessories to change the configuration depending on which one you started with. Based on your note however I wonder if this is a situation where the twig unit doesn't do either wood or metal very well. Scott

Currently building:

HM Yacht Chatham - 1:64 - Caldercraft

The Taig lathe is easy and fast to change from metal to wood and vise versa.    First, just slide off  the tail-stock.  The carriage for metal working and the tool rest mounts for woodworking just slide on/off on the dove-tail base.  

There is a wide range of speeds that can be quickly changed on the stepped pulley from the motor.    The Taig web site lists 520-5200 rpm.

The gibs on the metal working carriage can be set up quite tight without any sticking for the whole range of travel, so the setup is very rigid.  As for the rigidity of the base, I used my circular saw setup to cut some nylon sheet a few weeks ago - a tough cut - but, even when the belt was slipping there was no vibration or chatter. 

Length of the bed is 15 inches, but the distance between centers is 9.75 inches.  

As for the reference to alchemy, the lathe cannot covert  wood into metal, but it does transform base square stock to perfect rounds.

Edited by lehmann

Bruce

Stay Sharp - Stay Safe

Judgement comes from experience:  experience comes from poor judgement.

• USS Constitution: Scratch build solid hull 1:96 scale

I wasn't aware of the Taig being able to do that.  My apologies.   There's a lot of 9 or 50 in one (some such number) types of power tools coming in China that don't do any one job well.   Others, well made, etc.  don't offer that option.   

That's seriously good news about the Taig lathe.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 6 months later...
On 06/02/2017 at 7:46 AM, texxn5 said:

John

I cant find the site could you write it on the page