changing the color of non tarnishing silver wire

Doing more tests to come up with the right color for the handrails on the ship restoration I have been looking at whether the Beadalon and Artistic Wire products could be made to look aged by changing the color very slightly.

I did pull the wire through some fine wire wool to see if that would dull it down, before attempting the heat treatment. The silver plating is very thin and the copper wire underneath started to show right away so I stayed with the shiny wire for the tests

The method for this test is heat. Using the hot soldering gun to get some inkling of where the temp needed to be i found that the range between 35 -38 to be adequate to get the slight patina. I have been baking some at varying temps beginning at 350c baking for 15 minutes and then upping the temperature and watching for the subtle color change. 380c looks like a close fit.

post-202-0-97894400-1486315749_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Instead of cooking the books, you are cooking the looks! I admire your patience in experimenting to achieve the result you want.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 2 weeks later...

Would that be "Grey Poupon" or Keens? Sorry I couldn't resist.  Interesting I wonder what the chemical element is causing the patina?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

OK Being a tad OCD. I decided to do a survey of the mustards in our fridge. I recently took upp gourmet cooking so I had quite a few to choose from. Here is my List: Domaine des Vignes Origin France, white wine vinegar and distilled vinegar (Druxey's acetic acid) sugar and citric acid (weak acid propably with some preservative role

Maille Honey Dijon: French, vinegar, citric acid and Potassium meta bisulfite (lumped together as acidifiers)

French's classic yellow: US Awesome hot dog ("tube Steak") mustard, distilled vinegar, Tumeric and paprika and other spices. Interestingly the yellow color come from their spice blend

Publix honey mustard : super market generic US, About the same except they use cider vinegar in addition to distilled.

Conclusions

Nothing obvious. Vinegar is always the second largest ingredient

Nothing extraordinary pops out except the use of acids to maintain a low pH.

Maybe the answer is in the ground mustard seed which is the third highest wt ingredient

You need to conduct some "wet" chemical experiments

Jaxboat

Edited by Jaxboat