Chinese junk

osdet7

I have just completed A L Endeavour and am looking for something with less rigging.

The Chinese junk looks interesting but I can only find two companies (Amati and A L) who produce them.

Are there any more models out there and which of the two models above is recommended?

Cheers,

osdet

Dumas makes one but it is very simple.  Both the Amati and AL kits are pretty good.  There are some Chinese made kits but I think they are from makers that are on the banned list.  Can't think of any others.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Chinese junks exist in many different versions. I do not know if there is a kit which is suitable for you. If you intent to build in skratch I can recommend a magnificent book that not only gives a good history of these ships but also a very detailed building description of a cetrtain type.The book cotains 8 drawings of 55 x 37 cm.

It is written in German.

Das Shaohsing chúan

Ein traditionelles Schiff in China

Wolfgang Asbach

1991 by Selbstverlag

Historischer Schiffsbau e.V.

Druckerei Rautenberg, Leer

Succes!

Constant

Constant

Another excellent book is "Junks and Sampans of the Yangzte" by G.R.G. Worcester.  Based on decades of experience it is the best book I have seen on the subject.  There is also the "Junk Blue Book 1962" put out by the US Government during the Vietnam war that has a lot of info about water craft of the region.  Downloadable version is available here http://indigenousboats.blogspot.com/p/junk-blue-book.html

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.