Sanson by hof00 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1/50 - 19th century tug

• 1 month later...

Thanks Chap,

I'm in the process of re-wiring the LED's

I had issues with the resistor N/W so rebuilt this as well.

Reliability issues.... I had initially stripped the insulation with Side cutters but lost some of the conductors in the process, a couple of wires disconnected themselves, not a good look as the circuit will be sealed in the Hull. (Since bought some "Auto" Strippers, much better!!)

The Mast is going to be interesting to wire, there are three lights on it, one White, two Red, I have a "Plan" I think....

Wiring installed to Deck level, Taper the Mast, slot the Mast to accept "Vero" wire, connect LED's, install....

Also had to remove the last plank that I installed to enable the wire trace.... (Fat fingers/pliers)

Not a problem, it's the first cover.

Nav. Lights are on the wrong side but an easy fix once I get things working again.... 🙂

Tomorrow is another day!! (Gone with the wind)

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00
Edit

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 2 weeks later...

Small update,

Built new Resistor N/W, extended majority of LED Cabling, tested and installed Resistor N/W. (Bicycle Lamp Circuit, so to speak.) 

Tested Mast LED Voltage, 7.2V, enough to satisfactorily run 3 LED's in Parallel.

Nice!! (A good "Positive" for the day!!)

(The only "Downside" is if the LED's "Go Out...." I will have absolutely no access to the Resistor N/W or Cabling.... I'm pretty comfortable with my wiring, the only cable that I'll have access to is the Power Lead that connects to the Transformer which will exit through the Keel.

Anyway, I can now concentrate on getting the first Planking complete.... (3 - 4 Planks per side, Filler, Sand....)

Onwards and upwards.... 🙂

I'll post some photos when this is done.

All in all, it's not too shabby for a complete tear down and rebuild, thus far. 🙂

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

I need some help, if possible....

Thought I had things sorted with LED Illumination,, "Sanson.."

Not quite....

I have wired 15 Hi Intensity LED's for this build, (18 eventually with the Mast Head lights.)

The LED's are connected in Parallel, 12V supply, 570Ohm, 1/4 Watt Resistor for each LED.

LED's power up o.k but he Resistors are getting very, very "Hot" after 30 seconds or so.

My fear is that Sanson will "Combust!!"

Does anyone have some "Fixit Gems?" for what should be done? What would a probable fix be?

The circuit is simple, Positive Rail, 570Ohm Resistor, LED, Common Earth. Rail... (I guess Forward Voltage of the LED is about 2.2 Volts)

Any Ideas?

My thoughts are that the Circuit is "Gobbling" as much Voltage as it can, maybe 1/4 Watt Resistors are not going to "Cut It."

(Not keen on Series Connected LED's, one goes, so do the rest....)

If I can't Fix, I'll just have to do without LED's

(LED's are a bit of a mission, I think in future Fibre Optics)

(I messaged "Tecko" for his take on things also.)

Cheers and Regards,

HOF..

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Here you go....

12 Volt power supply, 570 Ohm Resistor, maybe 2.2 Volts forward Voltage for the LED's

I guess that if I increase the Resistor Wattage, it won't heat as much.

All LED's are in Parallel with the +/- Rails, so in essence mimic the below.

(My last resort, remove lighting and complete the build.)

Any advice, much appreciated.

Cheers....HOF.

image.png.13ca868a514dd10214fc0089b78613e8.png

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

You could just change the resistor, but I wonder if that is the wisest way. You might take a look here:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Choosing-The-Resistor-To-Use-With-LEDs/

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

There are two equations you need to know to work this out.

Ohms law           V=IR

and the power equation            W=VI

In your circuit the voltage across the resistor is the voltage of the power supply minus the voltage across the led 12 - 2 = 10V. Therefore to get a value for this resistor rearrange ohms law and substitute the known values.

R = V / I  = 10 / .03 =333 ohms. The nearest common value you can buy is 330 ohms.

To get its power rating W = IV = 0.03 * 10 = 0.3W. So as long as the resistor you use has at least that rating there will be no problems.

Up to a point using a higher value resistor will just lower the light output from the led. If you used a variable resistor you could adjust the brightness. The safest way to do this is to put a 330 ohm resistor in series with the variable resistor. That way you cannot turn it down too much and overload the led which will shorten its life.

If you used a 560 ohm resistor (570 not readily available) you would only need 1/4 watt.

Hope that helps,

Glenn

Edited by glennreader

Current Builds

Scottish Maid, V108 Torpedo boat

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

HMS Shark (Sergal), Sirene (Coral), Armed Pinnace (Panart), Etoile Schooner (Billings)

Glenn,

Thanks for explaining. Got a question, since we're at it. This is for a single led, what happens to an array of leds? Just multiply the voltage by the number of leds?

Carl

Thanks Carl/Glenn,

I'll do some further "Experimentation" before sealing any circuitry in the Hull.

Much appreciated!! 🙂

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

If I understand your question correctly the answer is yes. But I explain why below in case we are at cross purposes.

If you want all of the led's to be on at the same time then wire them in series. Then work out the total voltage across them all. For instance 5 leds is 5*2 = 10V or maybe 11V if it is really 2.2V per junction. With a 12V supply that leaves 1 or 2 volts across the resistor, so the new value will be 33 ohms or 68 ohms. 

That's the problem when the voltage across the resistor is small compared to the voltage across the led's. You can try and look up the actual voltage in the manufacturers data sheet or if you have a multi-meter you could measure it. For safety go with 68 ohms or alternatively go with 33 ohms and include a variable resistor to set the current to below the manufacturers maximum.

The power rating of the required resistor is now much less as the voltage across it is much lower. One advantage in using led's in series, the power is being used in providing light and not heating up a resistor.

You should NOT wire led's in parallel using the same resistor. But there is no problem in having say 2 groups in series each with their own resistor.

Hope that makes sense. I am trying not to get too technical, which is why I have not given an explanation for not wiring led's in parallel.

Glenn

Current Builds

Scottish Maid, V108 Torpedo boat

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

HMS Shark (Sergal), Sirene (Coral), Armed Pinnace (Panart), Etoile Schooner (Billings)

Thanks again Glenn/Carl,

Had a look at the typical Forward Voltage and Current of the LED's I purchased, Quite a range of differing values....

(I think I'll go safe with 1 Watt components.)

(BTW I think this is the very first time I have asked for assistance, and the assistance/advice was very much forthcoming!! 🙂)

I'll keep the Lighting in the Hull, (After testing of course). but will need to redo my Resistor N/W to supply correct Voltage.... 🙁

If things get "Hot" again, I'll remove the Power and go with a build minus lighting. (Don't want a spontaneously combusting model!!)

Hopefully, no discernable heat!!

(Won't be an issue to ascertain what wiring what goes where, I, thankfully, traced/extended the wiring/cabling after the first "Oops.".... 🙂)

Off to Jaycar tomorrow!!

(Need some more "Veroboard" also.)

Cheers and regards to yourself and Carl for the help/advice, much appreciated!!

Harry. (HOF)

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thanks Marc,

We live in hope!!

(Struggles I guess....In the hope of creating something we are happy with.)

2 - 4 Planks per side for the first cover but want to try and get the circuitry reliable and stable first.

3rd attempt, it happens, no problem, I have the luxury of a little time....

(If I can't "Nail" it this time, it will be a boring, "No-light" Tug Boat build. 🙂)

(I think if I attempt lighting in the future, it might be it'll be Fibre, (No Stuff/Sod All)

(In all reality, it's probably got it's own challenges/issues, I guess I'll find out one day.)

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Small update,

Re-Built the Resistor N/W,, (Third time lucky? 🙂)

Anyway, 1W resistors and hopefully matched, (As close as possible with commercially available components.), with the forward Voltage/Current of the different LED's.

(Tested some LED's/Resistor combinations, no issues thus far....)

(Hopefully, no combustion!! 🙂)

I'll solder it all together tomorrow morning.

(I hope that's the end of it....)

I can then complete things. Woodwork/Planking/Miniature Joinery.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thanks Chap,

Still working on the Resistor N/W.

Build/Test/Repair.... a couple of LED's failed, probably due to incorrect Resistance the first time around.

So, new LED's purchased today and hopefully get everything operational tomorrow....

Got to get on to completing the 1st Planking!!

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

I've been watching your build with interest, :) Thought about this kit myself.

As a fellow Kiwi I've found the Jaycar cattledog to be of great use, mainly because in Wangas we only get a very small amount of what Jaycar have available instore. 

This may be useless info but page 104 of this may help you if you have more issues.

Edited by johnothanswift

Hi Chap,

Wanganui is not off the Radar....

Yup, the LED's are are a bit of a Pain in the B..t .. (Too much Cabling....)

I thought that I'd try and improve after the Tear Down.... In fact, I should have just continued with the Base Ki, maybe.

Maybe, the Fibre Optic approach would have been better, one or two light sources.... Live and Learn I guess.

The "Jaycar" Bods do On-Line ordering, I am sure, or, you could try "Element 13", formally Farnell.

Nice to "Bump" into a fellow NZer!! 🙂

Wot are you working on?

Cheers and Regards,

Harry. HOF)

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

After many years of plastic I'm currently building a Billings Roar Ege, very slowly :). 

And my next, or next,next is an Artesania Latina full interior Bounty.

Frankly, after looking at the builds here of this model I'm looking at upskilling my wood skills a lot before even attempting this kit in my stash.

But I'm finding that wood is, in many ways, a far more enjoyable medium to work on than plastic.

Hi Chap,

Yup "Wood" ship models have been described to me, in the past, as the "Pinnacle" of modelling.

Got a Build Log/Photos?

Yup, from what I have seen, the A/L Bounty is a challenge, so is your current build, (I'm scared of Clinker stuff!....)

Many years of Plastic Modelling here also and I have a :1/72 Wolfpack" U-Boat and 1/200 Bismarck waiting in the wings....

I do however prefer the wood stuff.

After "Sanson" I'll be looking at the Flying Cloud, (Mamoli), Maybe.... (I love the Clippers, they are fairly easy to build, (Hull is "Pointy" but complex Rigging.)

Great to make your acquaintance!! (And a fellow NZ Citizen. )

Have a great weekend!! 

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Small update,

Have now completed a "Stable" Resistor N/W, one that will hopefully not Combust the Ship!!

Many Hi Intensity LED's of differing Forward Voltages/Currents and sized Resistors as best I can.

I have "Burnt-In" the N/W over a few hours, over the past couple of days, parts of the N/W get warm but not burning hot!!

All 17 LEDs seem to be o.k. (A bit bright, maybe not 100% scale, but no problem.)

(10 Deck Houses, 2 Wheel House, 2 Navigation, 3 Mast Head)

I'll attempt to take some Photos after the Sun goes down, and after  the (Abyssinians), Cats are fed.

(It's been a bit of a mission....)

I think that the next step will be to complete the Wheel House, Navigation Light "Boxes," install and complete the first Planking before, sealing the Circuit inside....)

As previously stated, once the Planking is done, I cannot access the Resistor N/W, if "Lights go out," there's sod all I can do about it. 🙂

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

1 hour ago, hof00 said:

As previously stated, once the Planking is done, I cannot access the Resistor N/W, if "Lights go out," there's sod all I can do about it

when that happens it is probably time for overhaul, or the scrapyard ...

Carl

Thanks Carl.... 🙂

I think your probably right!!!

O.K. a few photos.... In the dark it looks like a Christmas Tree....

The White/Red/Red LED's on the Bow are for Masthead Lights.

Anyway, a work in progress....

(Keep in mind, this a "Tear-Down/Re-Build")

At least things are reasonably "Stable" and reasonably confident that it won't combust....

Cheers....HOF.

DSC_0773.jpg

DSC_0774.jpg

DSC_0775.jpg

DSC_0776.jpg

DSC_0777.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

hmmm. I don't know how you light your tree, but next year you only have to hang your boat in th tree ;)

You could try a less strong led before you turn it watertight

Carl

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:46 PM, cog said:

when that happens it is probably time for overhaul, or the scrapyard ...

Hi Chap, I have contemplated this, "The Scrapyard," more than once.... 🙂

I think that I just have to carry on for the mo and see where it lands.

Yup the "Christmas" lights are a little bright but should tone down a bit after the Brass Shrouds/Covers go on them.

The other LED's are a little bright also, never mind, I cant do much about it, I'd have to re-engineer the Resistor N/W, (Again), and the LED's under the Deck are pretty firmly affixed with CA, so, to late, too bad.... 

(It is what it is....)

I guess time will tell, I have to "Persevere" for now, and if the lights if it gets too much, well, the afore mentioned "Scrapyard." (Don't want to do that, the last resort....)

(I'd love to do something else but I'm a one Model type of Chap 🙂)

Your humor, (Levity), and constructive criticism, is very well received!! 🙂 Keep it up!!

Cheers and Regards,

Harry. (HOF)

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

As they are LED's and don't get hot why not dull them down with something like Tamiya acrylic paint. I'd suggest experimenting with ones not on the model yet first 😃 to test the theory but that should dull them nicely and let you adjust the colour. 

EDIT: Here you go, from a model train forum. 😉

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/744/t/179811.aspx

Edited by johnothanswift