Lanyard Question

husky1943

Okay, here goes -

I apologize in advance for probably using the wrong nomenclature.  I don't know enough to call everything by it's actual name.

Question:  I was looking at the ratlines, and I noticed that a lot of ya'll use rope-colored (lighter-colored) rope on the deadeyes / blocks at the bottom of the shrouds.  I thought that standing rigging was usually black because it had been tarred to protect it from the elements.  Wouldn't the rope in the deadeyes / blocks be black?  Does it depend on the era? 

Just curious, and thanks for the education.

Rob

Some folks do the lanyard, the line that is used to tighten the two deadeyes to each other, in lighter, non-tarred line as it is not fixed in place but is adjustable hence 'running' rigging.  I personally think it should be 'dirty' at the least from the tar used on the shrouds getting onto the lanyards, and to keep them from looking quite so starkly white.

Rob, would you mind explaining what looming is?  I've looked in two reference manuals and can't find that definition.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hey Derek,

Sorry about that...what I meant is to use a "loom" to make the ratlines.  Someone gave me a Heller model one time, and although it had more lost parts than parts present in the box, the one thing that I did see was a loom, or pattern, that could be used to make the ratlines off the model, and then they would be installed after being pretty much pre-fabricated.  I wanted to do my next model with actual ratlines, and I was thinking about trying to build them off the model and then trying to install them afterwards.  I hope that makes sense...

Ciao for now, Rob

Yes it does, thanks.  Would be very curious to see your looming in progression.  Please post pics if you do.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

There is the Loom-a-Line tool.. which is considered a waste of money.  The biggest problem with looming is getting everything in the right place including deadeyes, etc. I did a Heller Vic with their loom. Ended up tossing it as it was more trouble than it was worth and doing the shrouds and rats on ship.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2017 at 7:34 AM, husky1943 said:

Wow, I thought of another question; do the ratlines actually support the masts or are they simply for access aloft?

Rob, I think this might be a case where the wrong nomenclature is being used as you mentioned above. The (almost) vertical ropes running from the masthead to the deadeyes are the shrouds, and yes, they are used to support the masts. However the shrouds also form the sides of the "rope ladders" for access aloft. The ratlines are the thinner ropes used as the "rungs" . 

Edited by Louie da fly

Further clarification, the smaller diameter line that passes back and forth between the deadeyes  is known as the Lanyard and I believe it's the line the original question was about. Lanyards are not tarred on pourpose but the shrouds above them are tarred repeatedly over their lifespan. Due to the nature of tar, it can, on a hot day, return to a liquid state and it can flow like syrup. As a result the lanyards WILL become quite tarry over time as the tar from the shrouds drips onto them. my advice is to use line that looks dirty or dark as opposed to bright white.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Howdy all,

Many thanks for the information, and I think that I misspoke (misstyped?) when I wrote about looming.  I tried it once, but found it insanely frustrating to use (alignment issues, too tight versus too loose, reattaching it to the boat, etc).  I meant that I was going to do my own lines, vice using the plastic ones. 

Ciao for now

Rob

Rob,

Have a look here.  A nice jig for holding the shrouds in place while tying the ratlines:  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Howdy Mark,

Thanks for the link to that idea.  However, I am certain that mine ARE NOT going to come out looking as perfect as many of these talented folk!  However, I soaking up the ideas, and any thought is a good thought.  As a I used to tell my children, "Even bad examples can be good examples....of what NOT to do."  Now, whether they listened, that's another issue...

Ciao for now

Rob