Cannon Jolle 1802 by achuck49 - FINISHED - Master Korabel - 1/72 scale

Greetings and Salutations,

I have wanted to start a build log and successfully complete a build log for a long time.  I have a true mental block when it comes to building a hull that is not solid out of the box.  Master Korabel has all the parts and pieces precut so I figured ‘how hard can this be?’.

The Cannon Jolle 1801, was up for auction and I won the bid for about 1/3 the original price.  This supports my opinion that this will not be a hard build.  Expensive kits are hard, inexpensive kits should therefore be easy.

post-3838-0-05143100-1486589947_thumb.jpg

The box is about 14"x8" inches and it is full of empty space because inside the parts and pieces are very small.

post-3838-0-16635900-1486590064_thumb.jpg

Please notice the size of the kit when compared to a U.S. dime.  Well this means that I need a smaller work space for this particular kit.

post-3838-0-70741800-1486590167_thumb.jpg

Even though the written instructions are in Russian, the photos of the actual build are clear and concise.

I will finish this log.  It good then great, if bad, then everyone can learn what not to do.

What can possibly go wrong?

Chuck A

Chuck A.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you even tried.

I started working on the Jolle this morning and discovered some startling features of the kit.

First is that the laser cutting of the pieces is exceptionally precise.  I could not get a sharpe blade into the burn line to help loosen the pieces.  I needed to get a small piece of tubing and model hammer and tap them loose enough to break away from the main board.

post-3838-0-00857100-1486657556_thumb.jpg

Another discovery is that the printed page identifying various parts does not match the actual wood containing the pieces.  To add to this list of horrors is the fact that printed material is not to scale with the actual parts.  I had to have the instructions showing the next needed part, next to the paper showing the part number, next to the board that contains the laser cut pieces.  Not an easy way to participate in a 'relaxing hobby'.

There is a plus side, the fit of the laser cut pieces is the best I have ever had the pleasure of working with.  I soon learned that if something does not fit or looks funny, it is either the wrong piece or the wrong location for the piece.  The pieces fit as tightly as do the pieces in a jigsaw puzzle.

post-3838-0-18972900-1486658143.jpg

Chuck A.

The pieces of this kit fit as tightly as a box of Legos.  The ribs can only fit in the appropriate slot, facing the correct direction.  As of this attached photo, I had not needed to use any glue.  The fit is that tight.

post-3838-0-13529300-1486919841_thumb.jpg

Chuck A.

Disaster has hit the Jolle!

I was attempting to remove some deck pieces from the sheet of parts.  As I have mentioned before, this is difficult because of the tight laser cutting of the parts.  I admit that I was frustrated and to speed things along, I used the edge of a single blade razor blade to try cut a piece loose.

Bad idea, it caused the entire sheet of parts to split length wise.  This also went through a number of pieces, cutting them in half.  I tried to repair the damage with glue, but that failed.  The thickness of this sheet of wood is equal to two or three sheets of normal typing paper.  The glued part did not have enough strength to hold it's own and it would flop over or just fall apart.

So I had the idea of taking some scraps and using them, see the hatch cover in the attached pic.  Looks horrible, but I said I would show warts and all of this build and I will.  Then I was not paying attention to the top of the model and pushed my finger through the scraps.

I have another idea, but it will have to wait until I plank the hull.

post-3838-0-09375900-1487094493_thumb.jpg

Chuck A.

I am very interested in your build, Chuck. I did not remember well the name of this brand, but I remember to have seen pictures of what looked like an exquisitely detailed model. It was also a gunboat, I think. As far as this model is concerned, it is funny to notice that there are no less than three kits of a such a strange ship: one is a rather colourful model by Amati, if I remember well, the second one looks more detailed. It is by Sergal, I think, and is an effort to oversimplify the build, and looks quite awful I think. This kit looks rather fine as details are numerous. Master Korabel seems to prefer unpainted models, which is ok, but looks a little dull, don't you think so. I look forward to your succesful build.

JP

Hi

The internet is such a wondrous thing.  It is so easy to converse between continents now.

I am not real certain about a successful build, but good bad or otherwise it will be finished.

Korabel does not do paint or even copper bottoms.  I plan on coating it with some Danish Wood Oil to both protect the wood and give it a subtitle finish.

Chuck A  

Chuck A.

I'm sure you will come up with a beautiful model. I suppose your problem of detaching the pieces can be helped by cutting half way on both sides of the sheet, or at least the tab will be weakened so that the piece could then be snapped off without breaking.

Now as far as glueing broken pieces is concerned, there are now PVA glues, CA gels or epoxy glues that are literally stronger than the original, so any accident could be remedied. The only problem is when you want to dye the wood as apparent glue stains won't take the colouring material, of course.

By the way, the model from Master Korabel which had impressed me was not an armed ship: it was the St Gabriel: superb detail.

And the other Swedish gun boats are made by Amati (a small, simple model) and by Mantua (a well detailed model that needs quite a bit of rework to make it look like a wooden model rather than an assembled "laser saw" puzzle.

Have fun with your build.

JP

It has a hull!

Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it is the best I have done so far.

Stained it red oak, because I like the color.  After I finish with the wooden pieces on the deck area, I will stain it the same.  Then poly it because I think it will look nice with a bit of a shine.

The broken hatch covers are still a bit of a challenge.  I have tried some scrap basswood strips, they look OK, but not correct.  I might just take some old sail cloth, soak it in coffee and cut out a canvas piece.

Not much wood work left.  Mount the cannon and then some side pieces for masts and such.  The cannon is brass that has been pre-blackened. 

post-3838-0-56535400-1487206298_thumb.jpg

Chuck A

Chuck A.

• 2 weeks later...

A major problem has raised it's ugly head.  The masts required for the sails, are missing or I am supposed to create them.  With all of the instructions written in Russian, it is impossible to know.  The instructions, parts listing, and diagrams do not show anything to any type of scale.  There are illustrations showing the craft nearly as mine is with the masts stowed and laying in the deck and with full sails.  

It is so fragile that I lean towards a stowed mast.

Chuck A.

Question: how do I mark the title 'finished'?

I wanted to have sails flapping in the wind,as the craft fly's across the Black Sea.

Reality bites again, I fear that any attempt to do anything else will result in damage to the paper thin deck.

2017-03-06 18.08.42.jpg

Chuck A.

Looks great, Chuck.  That's probably a valid fear and I would follow it.

As for changing the title... go back the very first post and find "edit" and click on it.  You should be able to change the title there.  Edit:  I just checked and you can edit it there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 10 months later...