Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluenose2

Jigs for bitts and belaying pin racks etc.

Hello Les here. I am trying to come up with a way to bevel the tops of the posts for belaying pin racks and bitts etc. Some sort of jig that could accommodate four or five pieces at a time. I have tried clamping but when I start to file they dislodge and go bye bye. Any help would be great.  

Sounds like you need a better clamp.. :D

Seriously, if you are going to try to work on several pieces at once, then clamping them in place

while you work on them would be your first challenge..

What kind of clamp were you trying to use?  Do you have a picture?

If I were going to try to work on more than one of these bitts at one time ( I'll tell you later why I wouldn't ),  I would clamp them between a couple of pieces of scrap wood with maybe a c-clamp, so that I could tighten the clamp as much as possible without damaging the parts.

As mentioned to you in the other thread you posted about this, your best bet would be to make

a sanding jig, that would let you set a constant angle, depth and length for your bevels.

Once set up, you should be able to finish several of these, one at a time, in less time than it would take

to try to manipulate multiple parts in some king of clamping jig.

If you are interested, I could try to share some ideas about the sanding jig, or just making them free-hand.

Also,what kind of tools do you have?  Are you limited to files and sanding sticks?

Here are some bitts I made, pretty much free-hand with an emery board, after  cutting a groove

with my small table saw. 

I don't think I spent more than a couple of minutes on each of them.

The saw could be easily replaced with a file, taking care to limit the depth of the cut.

post-3923-0-43370000-1486773550.jpg

mtaylor and bluenose2 like this

Jig would be best, IMO, and do them one at a time.  

bluenose2 likes this

Hello Gregory. Les here. Thnx for the call back. Tools are not an issue. I took an 8 x 12 x 3 mm piece of plywood with 2 x 3 mm glued on the top and down the left side. Picture the inside of a construction square. I marked the top and side in mm's. I put tape on my saw at 2 mms for the depth cuts on the 4 x 4's for the bitts and belaying pin racks. I lined up four and made the cuts on all four sides. Limitation is it that pieces are hand held and tend to move around. Then hand tapered with an exacto knife. I was just wondering if any one has a picture or diagram of something better? Thnx Les.