HMS Victory by ca.shipwright - Panart Art 738 - 1:78

On 4/21/2017 at 10:33 AM, ca.shipwright said:

It looks like there will be a cascade of problems associated with that 1 mm. Mantua got the money and I got the replace parts for the framing in 4 days. Great service! Assembled all the framing, counters, bow filler blocks, and cut the rabbet. I have misplaced my ebony stern post. Hopefully it will show up or I will make another out of boxwood.

When I was cutting the bow filler blocks, the top view as taken from AOS was wider than the first bulkhead. This caused me to scratch my head and what the h***. I then copied the entire forward portion of the main deck and lay it across the ship from the bow to mid ship. Surprisingly, it was at least an inch wider than the Mantua hull framing. It looks like Mantua took some liberties the the kit design. The entire ship's beam is at least 1 inch narrower the the AOS drawings. She is still a monster.

Terry- I was following Bob's practicum with my homemade framing parts. This is not an easy build, but, Bob's practicum is so detailed that you almost can't go wrong if you read the section once, and then read it again. If you do purchase the practicum, and I highly recommend it, there are a couple of errata that I can fill in for you. Not having the correct dimensional material and my lack of skills all added to the continuation of the problems. The biggest was that almost all the gun ports had to be cut into the bulkheads. This was not a task I was willing to try. And, it would have seriously degraded the structural integrity of the hull.

Photos will follow soon

Regards

SPlease enlighten me.  What is Bob's practicum? And where can I find it?

On 4/21/2017 at 10:33 AM, ca.shipwright said:

It looks like there will be a cascade of problems associated with that 1 mm. Mantua got the money and I got the replace parts for the framing in 4 days. Great service! Assembled all the framing, counters, bow filler blocks, and cut the rabbet. I have misplaced my ebony stern post. Hopefully it will show up or I will make another out of boxwood.

When I was cutting the bow filler blocks, the top view as taken from AOS was wider than the first bulkhead. This caused me to scratch my head and what the h***. I then copied the entire forward portion of the main deck and lay it across the ship from the bow to mid ship. Surprisingly, it was at least an inch wider than the Mantua hull framing. It looks like Mantua took some liberties the the kit design. The entire ship's beam is at least 1 inch narrower the the AOS drawings. She is still a monster.

Terry- I was following Bob's practicum with my homemade framing parts. This is not an easy build, but, Bob's practicum is so detailed that you almost can't go wrong if you read the section once, and then read it again. If you do purchase the practicum, and I highly recommend it, there are a couple of errata that I can fill in for you. Not having the correct dimensional material and my lack of skills all added to the continuation of the problems. The biggest was that almost all the gun ports had to be cut into the bulkheads. This was not a task I was willing to try. And, it would have seriously degraded the structural integrity of the hull.

Photos will follow soon

Regards

Thanks for that heads up on Mantua's screw up! I'll be sure to avoid that kit when I go to purchase the

is model. That big of an error is inexcusable by such a company.

On 5/8/2017 at 3:04 PM, ca.shipwright said:

Greetings,
Another update. I completed the port side of the main deck gun ports. I thought they came out rather well. Slimming down the interfering bulkheads and cutting one off is a real pain. I can't wait to see how much trouble this is going to be on the quarterdeck and middle and lower gun decks.

I had my first service problem with my Byrnes saw in it's 15 +/_ years service. The switch went out. First, the polarity reversed and I continued to use it even though it wasn't safety smart. Then it died. 30 minutes to buy it and 15 minutes to install the replacement switch. And, away we mill.
I need to get a start milling the .045 in planking. There's a lot to do.

A little wood filler in the gaps and a good sanding should take care of most of the defects.  Most everything will be covered the second planking. The rest of the markings have been added to the upper sills.

It is worth noting; maybe: At first glace the gun ports on the three decks appear to be symmetrical. Not so. I was looking at the Corel template and they had some of them offset. I thought it was poor manufacturing. Not so again. I took a look in AOS and sure enough there are offsets between the decks.

Next up completing the gun decks and quarterdeck gun ports p/s. This is going to take some time. Next

update might be a while.

DSCN7205s.thumb.JPG.975a67ba2002838f28973909f8240ac3.JPGDSCN7206s.JPG.91624f3b9a487f6ca9e102eddf0fc624.JPGDSCN7207s.JPG.9b74b53a240eb7f47102ac4eae497e3b.JPGDSCN7207s.JPG.9b74b53a240eb7f47102ac4eae497e3b.JPGDSCN7208s.JPG.07c7957454f3a9094fbade7bc3900201.JPGDSCN7208s.JPG.07c7957454f3a9094fbade7bc3900201.JPGRegards to all

Where's the photos? 

On 5/25/2017 at 2:57 PM, ca.shipwright said:
Finally, the port side gun ports have all been installed, sanded and filled where needed. All that's left to do is the final sanding and adding the red and black color to the appropriate ports.

I am going to wait for the color until after the starboard gun ports are at the same place. Maybe I will only have to do the color one time this way. Ever the optomist .

Now for some decisions regarding the dummy cannon:
Should I blacken them or leave them brass?
Should I mount them before I close up the lower hull? I want to use epoxy for this.
Looking at the top view of the cannon, note they sit a little proud of the hull. I get this affect by not seating the mounting pin all the way to the rear. I actually like this look.

I know, my ship, my rules. But, some input would be appreciated. Might save me from making a mistake that will show further down the road.

Regards to all

I'm will try to re-post photos 7222--7227 as well as the current group.

DSCN7222.JPG

DSCN7223.JPG

DSCN7225.JPG

DSCN7226.JPG

DSCN7228.JPG

DSCN7224.JPG

Guhnports por side 3.JPG

Gun POrts port 1.JPG

gunoprts port side 5.JPG

Gunports port side 2.JPG

Gunports port side 4.JPG

Historical portrayal of her guns requires them to be blackened.

On 11/28/2017 at 5:45 PM, ca.shipwright said:

11/28/2017

Just a short update on the coppering. This task is definitely the never ending story. I try to get three rows of the plates installed each time I work on the ship. The constant squeezing of the tweezers in one hand and the glue bottle in the other leads to some serious hand aching – like a repetitive motion injury. Three rows is just about all I can handle at one time.

I try to break the work session into several tasks. Planking the upper gun deck is one of the these tasks. Making the hatch comings another. I also mill the wood that I will need in future chapters. Holly for deck planking and Swiss pear fir the hatch comings.

I am using Temaya metallic copper paint to fill in some of the gaps where the plates don't align well. Not a real good fix, but, better than seeing the raw hull, light or black, showing through.

Here are some photos of the coppering.

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

Couldn You have ordered more copper from Mantua?

On 8/27/2020 at 9:09 AM, jazzyrjw@gmail.com said:

Jazzyrjw

Billing Nordkap

Panart Mantua High Spec HMS Victory 1:78

Early on I noticed that you only had the slot for the main mast in the main keel. The other two masts needed a slot depth horizontally and virtically in line with the main mast. It would be very difficult to get the angles entirely right after the decks were completed. I think you are doing a fantastic job. I have read all your posts and am staggered how much you have achieved so far.  I am leaving all the canons brass but painting vermilion on the centre front of the barrel. I will be coppering the hull like you so I am looking forward to doing it later. Currently, I am adding LED lighting to the officers cabins and later, up top of the main mast.

I will be painting the finished ship with the historic restoration teams new colour scheme that was uncovered during gargantuan project of restoring the ship at Portsmouth. I went to see it and was amazed by the inticate paint work done. They have changed the ships colours to reflect the true colours found in the lowest paint levels carbon dated to the battle of Trafalgar Have a look at these pictures taken by the photographer commissioned by the Restoration Team.       https://www.flickr.com/photos/150573193@N04/page7 

Thanks for that Flicker link!  Very impressive photos for reference!