Another rookie has joined

Dan_L

Hi everyone. I've been lurking and reading old threads for a while and thought it was time to register and say hello. My name is Dan, I'm 58 and live in the Dallas, TX area.

I've built several kinds of plastic models at various stages in my life but always wanted to try making a wooden model ship. I recently found out that a coworker is a model ship builder and after talking to him and seeing his work it brought the urge back and I decided to finally give it a shot. My first thought was to dive into the deep end with a complicated build like the Constitution, but common sense prevailed and my first attempt will be the solid hull model Phantom that I got from Model Expo.

I haven't actually started the build yet, I've been reading a lot about the hobby in general and the Phantom in particular. I think I'm about ready to start work now so I've got the model kit, a starter tool kit, a printed copy of Chuck Passaro's practicum and my working area kind of organized so I am going to start on the hull shaping today. I'm not that confident with my carving ability so my dremmel will probably be used a lot and hopefully I won't have to use filler to fix to many mistakes.

I'm sure I'll have some stupid rookie questions so please bare with me and wish me luck.

Dan

Hello Dan and welcome aboard.

It doesn't matter if you're a beginner or an advanced builder, this is a great place to learn and share tips and techniques.

When you're ready, feel free to start a buildlog.

If needed, you'll find plenty of advise, help and encouragement from everyone.

And remember, the only stupid questions are the ones that you don't ask.

I wish you smooth sailing with our gallant crew.

Regards,

Anja

Edited by Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hello Dan. We all started with the first kit. ;)

There are several horror stories about starting with an advanced kit as a first project. ( I have my own) so your change in direction from the Connie to the Phantom is a wise move. It will tell you if you have what it takes to tackle the Constitution or Victory in the future. :)

My best wishes in your project.

Don't be afraid or shy to ask questions.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Welcome to MSW Dan! Great choice to go with the Phantom. That model will give you opportunity to learn many of the basic skills and set you up well to move onto bigger and more complicated builds. Best of luck to you on your first wooden ship build. I look forward to seeing your work!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hi Dan,

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Well, it didn't take long to run into my first snag on my first build. I had read that the supplied templates didn't match the plans for the ship and that is true for my Phantom kit also. I'm just going to get some tracing paper and make another set of templates to the exact size of the plans. Even with the templates being off though I can tell that there is going to be a LOT of carving on my hull. The stern isn't too bad but the bow is way off and I'm not looking forward to that much of a challenge right from the start.

post-28119-0-34389100-1487021061.jpg

Dan,

You really should start up a build log under the model ship kits section here.

It helps to keep all the logs in the same place and you will get better answers to your questions in there. When you get it going we will follow. There is a post at the very top of the page that gives instructions for setting up your log.

While you are here though I will say that that Dremel and a bottle of wood filler will become your friends along with lots of sand paper. The effort is worth the pain though so hang in there and push through.

One of our members, Elijah, is almost done with his Phantom. He had similar problems when he started his too, so you might want to take a look at his log and see what he did or even just ask him as he has recent first hand experience with it. His log is here.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

A Warm :722972270:  to you, Dan!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry