Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Perhaps two large shrubs Gaetan? :)  they look  well shaped which means less sanding down the line.

cheers

pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I still say you could fit a cockpit in there and RC all the controls, head sticking out the quarterdeck. Then figure out how to fire the guns somehow and then go full pirate at the local lake, demanding money or you keep shooting your guns and ruin their picnic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-2-13 at 2:24 PM, Gaetan Bordeleau said:

The next build.

Before to begin the construction  with wood, I want to have all the necessary information I need for the complete build.

-I do not want to have to do extensive research

-I do not want to draw plans

-I do not want to begin in 5 years

My prefered activity is to build and I want to concentrate on this particular aspect.

V4.0       for the forth time

74           I will build a 74 guns

1/24      I will use the biggest scale I can manage. For this one 1/24 is 8 feet long. This is

about the maximum I can easily manipulate. I would have love to build even at

a bigger scale like 1/12 but I do not have all the plans I need.

Jean Boudriot offers me everything I need. All the required information  is available in 5 books, not 4 but yes 5. I am a lazy person for this time, I will not draw the frames; JC Lemineur di dit and I will use it.

So, I have all what I need to begin :

-all the paper I need (the fifth book is in the mail)

-all the tools I bought tools for the last 30 years

-all the wood I need, at least for the frames.

I did build  1 version of the 74 with exotic woods. If I add the price of all the exotic woods used, you would not believe how much expensive it can be in these quantities.

Traditionnally, in Europe, they use pear wood  for the frames and boxwood for the carvings.

In my country, here in Quebec, there are no places to buy these woods and anyway it is too expensive for what I want to do.

Here in Quebec, 1 one of the most stable wood we have is cherry wood. In addition the properties ore similar to pear wood except for the grain; cherry has pear has not. For sandind both are identical. As a bonus, at leat for my taste, I love the smell of this wood when cutting or sanding.

post-184-0-61993200-1487013613_thumb.jpg

Ou au Quebec te trouves-tu je suis de l'Outaouais j'aimerais bien et je me sentirais previlegié de pouvoir voir ca de mes propres yeux ! 

I added a new item in the personal protection department. I began with a pair of earmuff, a respirator with cartridges, a head gear to install  on a construction hat,  a 3M full facepiece.

I will begin soon  extensive  hull sanding and I wanted  a lungs protection easier to wear than  the respirator with cartridges.

The next step will be in the protection equipment PAPR (Powered Air Purifying Respirator).   The best equipment I found on Internet is the 3M Versaflo but it is expensive and you need to wear a belt for battery, motor and fan.

Another solution at ¼ the price of that unit is the Trend AirShield Pro.  Wood turner use this gears. This head protection gear can replace all the previous gears I had. It is a hard hat with a face shield made of plastic and cloth. Under the hat are incorporated a fan motor, battery  and filters. Performance is surprisingly good. The head is enclosed in a mask with positive pressure so wood dust does not enter. Even if there is an air cleaning system, alone it does not filter the air fast enough.

_DM39920.jpg

_DM39923.jpg

_DM39927.jpg

_DM39938.jpg

_DM39940.jpg

_DM39948.jpg

I have used the Trend unit in the past, it is very good but can feel heavy on the neck after using it for a while, and the screen scratches easily.

Also uses cheap materials to construct for the price you pay for it. Filters are expensive and need to be replaced regularly particularly in heavy use

Battery is not Li-on so takes a long time to charge, Oh and the fan motor is very noisy

It also does not stop the whole workshop gathering a layer of dust.

One of the better protection devices for personal use agreed, but as they say the best type of dust control is not to create it in the first place.

Two pennies worth over

Finished builds are 

1/35 Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

1/36 scratch built Philadelphia Gunboat from the Smithsonian Plans

Current build is

Scratch build Boudroit's Monograph for La Jacinthe at 1/36

Superman said with great power come great responsibilities.

The modeler says with a large model comes  a lot of dust,  it is part of the game.

Druxey,  you are right, plus the 3 feet  belt sander  can change the color of  floor in few minutes. 

It is a robust tool (no distortion in the sanding angle) built to sand metal , knife maker use it to give edges very rapidly.

It's like sanding a big chest of drawers that started out really rough, it's going to create enough sawdust to require several floor sweepings at least. I like the positive-pressure face mask Gaetan, I might look into that. Looks much more comfortable than a cartridge mask.

It is clear that Noel would not buy another one.

In comparison, it is more difficult to breath with with a full face or cartridge mask.

This I did not knew before I tried the positive pressure which is always bringing air.

The cartridge mask is directly on the face. not the other one.

Hi All,

Everytime I look at this wonderful build log, I can't help but think that the ship is large enough for a Viking funeral.;)

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Before assembling the frames, fore and aft ends are began.

Actually working at the aft.

It is a long work which goes like this: try, sand, fit...

It is a long ladder to climb, the more level, the more precise parts will be adjusted.

The only question to ask is when is it adjusted enough.

Continuation at the aft section will continue to receive some parts.

Only after ''middle frames'' will be assembled

_DM39949.jpg

_DM39970.jpg

_DM39990.jpg

_DM39993.jpg

_DM39995.jpg