74 gun ship by Gaetan Bordeleau - 1:24

That last picture really shows the value of good photographic skill. and the model looks pretty good too.... wonderful work Gaetan.

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Today I did some other test in macrophotography with telephoto zoom lenses and 1 spotting scope. The subject is a Canadian 2 dollars photographed at 2,5 meters. The main objective was to see what happens with  two 2X Canon extender behind a lens.

Test are done with : -200, 300, 600mm lens alone, with one 2X and 2  2X

-20- 60X 65mm spotting scope alone and with one 2X

Ratio looks like OK but there is a difference between lens and spotting scope.

Lens 2400mm look like smaller than spotting scope at 1500mm. I do not know how they did the conversion in mm with the spotting scope.

600mm lens is from Sigma, and extender are from Canon. I did not buy a teleconverter from Sigma because it is not clear if it will works; but with a teleconverter from Canon it does work, but nobody wants to tell you this. All the lens have a good autofocus with 1 extender but it is not very good with 2. If autofocus is done when with 1 teleconverter, adding the second one does not disturb the autofocus.

Capture d’écran 2018-03-31 à 17.41.51.jpg

OK, I did corrections with the help of the Naturalist market manager from Swaroski Optics which is actually in Costa Rica.

Ratio from the spotting scope are even higher than previously and photos have been rearranged by lens size.

As we can see, the difference between a Telephoto of 200 mm  and a spotting scope can be quite big!

Capture d’écran 2018-04-03 à 12.53.42.jpg

Hi Gaetan,

That is quite impressive a range. It is hard to see if the extenders degraded the image in comparison to the lens by itself, or compared to a greater telephoto lens. Do you have a recommendation on the best quality?

Mark

Hi Mark,

All the extenders do not perform the same way. Some  will not include all the functions.

I use two Canon extender 2X, one version II and one version III because I can stack both together. At the opposite, I could not stack  two version III together.

As an example Sigma lens 600mm with Sigma extender will lose autofocus.

But Sigma 600mm + Canon extender; autofocus will be working. The only way to know this, is to try it, it is not written anywhere.

The main degradation when you use an extender is that you will loose 2 F stop with each extender, the quality of the photo will still be very good. If you use one extender, no function will be lose, if you use two 2X extender, Auto focus will not be working 100%.

By using  an extender, I can get 1200mm 2 ways : 300mm + 2 extender or 600mm + 1 extender. The main reason to use extender is the cost :

Sigma 600mm + two 2X extender :  $1800

Canon 1200mm : $180000. Of course, glasses will be better quality, but I cannot afford that quality!

Gaetan

My experiences are not finished yet, I pushed the limit by adding two 2X extender in the spotting scope assembly.

Installation of the first molding

The position of the top frames will be final. All the frames are now glued together as a whole,  even if before, many were not glued together by the top spacers. I think I gave the frames enough time to stabilize, with also the stability of the humidity before the spring begins, not really began here, it was minus 15 this morning.

The blade profile exist simply because I did it few years ago. The idea for the holder is that it can be hold by both hand. It runs on the top of the plank as in second picture. In fact, I used my biggest vice on the height table. The vice is a secure method to hold the plank. When the molding is done, then the width is cut on the saw.

Before the installation of the moldings, a batten was installed as a guide as we have in many other modeler, just like Mark. Even if the line was already traced, the beauty of this batten is that it can be adjusted more precisely before simply because the batten is not glued. Also the batten is in one piece only to assure a smoother curve. Another advantage, the curve is easier to follow with the molding because it can  rest on a existing curve well fixed with clamps. The laser line is also very helpfull it helps to see the regularity of the curve, ad ecerything can be corrected before all is glued. It is much more difficult to install the molding with the correct curve without a guide.

_DM32329.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Hi Gaetan,

I see online that the $180,000 for the Canon 1200mm lens is for a used lens. I wonder what kind of a sailboat we could get for $180,000...

I agree on the exceptional value of a batten for aligning planking. I got the idea from Gary shipwright after looking at his successful wales installation. And I can see now from him and from you the value of the batten for important pieces like the mouldings and the channel wales.

Mark

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you for your comments.

Another part of the set up, one light is use only. the last model where I used exotic woods. Bocote was used for the planking, the color was superb, the smell was enchanting, the price was very high.

I remember few years ago when I first tried to use cherry wood, it was quite a challenge.

Today, when I see the results, I am very happy to have tried this road. Color is very hot. This wood has few faces. There is only one which should not be use especially for the planking as shown in one of the last post.

Since that 74 guns, I learned to use this cherry wood and now I only use this wood. We can say there in a simple way that there are 2 ways to represent a model ship : 1 color monochromatic  or more than one. Both methods have their own charms. As many subjects, in model ship fabrication, there is no right or wrong, it is just a matter of personal preference.

_DM32913.jpg

FUJI7579.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_3265.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg

IMG_3270.jpg

IMG_3272.jpg

IMG_3274.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3331.jpg

39 minutes ago, Gaetan Bordeleau said:

As many subjects, in model ship fabrication, there is no right or wrong, it is just a matter of personal preference.

Hear, hear ...

I do, however, have to agree with you on the cherry wood

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

The group photo of all models lined up in one room - really looks like a future museum opening :)

Excellent lighting and photos!

Thank you for the likes.

Be reassured, I will not do a setup every day! 
Today I used a flashlight; 1000 lumens. Power is not the most important factor to take picture. 
Nature of the source is; in this case LED, which will be closer to daylight, meaning more natural color.
Today I chose a model 100% cherry wood to show the color… that I like.

FUJI7597.jpg

FUJI7601.jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

image.png

Gaetan- Both the photography and carving are beautiful.  How did you learn to do the carving and what type of tools do you use?

Best regards,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Thanks for the info Gaetan. I got a good deal a while ago on an Emesco dental engine and a big variety of burs but have not tried using it yet. Your beautiful work gives me insensitive to try it out.

Edited by alde

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

58 minutes ago, Gaetan Bordeleau said:

Alde, you must try it, you will be surprise of what you can do!

Thank you, I will. Maybe this week I'll try something.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Thanks Gaetan,

i alreaady have a Foredom machine (although it is a flex-shaft).  I also have a very nice comfortable quick change hand piece.  I guess all I need is some practice and a few more bits.  Thanks.

best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

MINERVA CONFRONTING SATURN

1785, in a French Arsenal, a navy board ship of 74 guns is just completed at the scale of 1/24. It will be use as a model for the naval instruction for the officers. The model was installed in a room the room with few paintings hanging on the walls. One of the painting is the allegory of Saturn, Conquered by Amor, Venus and Hope, painted by Simon Vouet 140 years earlier.

Of course nothing of that is true, but if I could build a model for Naval Instruction, I probably could do some paintings too, and give a new title to that painting : Minerva confronting Saturn.

_DM32954.jpg