Glad Tidings by Dee Dee & Glacial Boat Works - Model Shipways - 1:25

After numerous small builds, I've started a larger build, Glad Tidings.  When I first saw the Glad Tidings kit in the Model Expo catalog, I couldn't get past the paint scheme.  But then I saw the video Jamie Peghiny posted of the launch of the pinky schooner Ardelle in MSW 1.0.  I fell in love with the design of the Pinky and purchased the Glad Tidings kit.  

What is unusual for this build for me, is this is the first build where there are build logs on MSW I can refer to!  These MSW build logs will provide invaluable information!  While I'm not one to build per instructions, since there's so much to learn on this build, I'll stay close, but if I see something I like, I'll make some changes.  (Expect changes, starting with the planking.......)  

Before cutting out the bulkheads, they were color coded.  I nearly lost it when #18 ended up backwards.  Then I realized this bulkhead was sideways on the sheet.

I found out that CA glue doesn't like the ink in Sharpie markers.  

The top of green #11 is about 1/2mm low, so a thin strip will be added.  #5 on the starboard side and #3 & #4 on the port side, each have a small bump that needs to be sanded out.  

post-206-0-66955800-1487125890_thumb.jpg

And a few more photos

post-206-0-33870400-1487125924_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-79423200-1487125925_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-03751800-1487125927_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-92468600-1487125927_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dee_Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Don't be fooled by the MS paint scheme - of course this is one of the easiest things to change about the kit. But the MS Glad Tidings is certainly one fun model to build - enjoy!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 2 weeks later...

Same.

Have looked at the MS offerings in the past.

(Have seen, don't know where, a "Diorama" of this model on a Slipway, any Ideas?)

Will be interesting to follow regardless.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 9 months later...

It's been a while................ 

Part 2 - Planking Glad Tidings 

The kit comes with instructions and drawings on how to shape each plank.  It's a nice feature and a great way to learn how to plank.  However, the planks at the stern post range in width from 3.5" for the top twelve strakes in belt A and B,  6" for the three planks in belt C and 9" - 10" - 10" for the three bottom plank, broad, garboard and stealer.  These bottom three strakes are a bit out of scale.   

5a2de5a56acd6_SternStemPlanking.jpg.8e4d00b10b8d28160e09b2d9729002ab.jpg

Instead, I'll plank the hull using a technique similar to the 'Fan' method.  Instead of 'tic' marks on the bulkheads, I divided each bulkhead measurement strip by the number of strakes per side.  The chart below shows the width (in mm) of each strake at each bulkhead.  The Glad Tidings bulkheads are space ~1", making this process a bit tedious / nervous.  After the first strake, I decided to smooth it out a bit and only use the measurements for bulkheads #'s 1, 5, 7, 13, 15.  Changed my mind again, I'm measuring every plank at every bulkhead. 

After adding the seven strakes on the starboard side, I measured the total distance covered and I'm off less than 1mm at each bulkhead. 

5a2de6808c5e4_GladTidingsPlankingMeasusrements.jpg.949f9c4845141e7b8ba1e5ce658c9208.jpg

I've finished planking belt A on the starboard side.  It took a few strakes to figure out how to do the butt joints.  When I plank a hull, after adding each strake, I remove the excess corner sticking up.  These seven + one planks are sanded to about 90%.  To keep the basswood from 'eroding' away or getting dinged while working on the model, I did a light coating of wipe on poly, then covered it with blue painters tape.     

5a2de6a5a91aa_2StarboardSide2G7A4065.thumb.jpg.d1cee4060a1be48b551fbed60e14565f.jpg

Close up of the bow. 

5a2de6c85b7a9_2BowStarboard2G7A4082.thumb.jpg.7be4d0e0b6947394f809d6c439bbd0b7.jpg

Close up of the stern.  The iron was a bit warm when edge bending this planks.  ooops!  But it gives me an idea for the deck planking..........

5a2de6e44f743_2SternStarboard2G7A4083.thumb.jpg.a2fc935f2424041dc0a0450cc12d3b7c.jpg

Next up is planking the A belt on the port side.  But first I need to remove / replace the sheer strake and do a better job.  Hopefully my next post will not take as long........

Thanks for stopping by.

Dee Dee

Edited by Dee_Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Excellent start to your planking Dee Dee

Dee Dee, 

I am so happy to see your update and get to see your planking progress... it certainly looks great to me!  I am interested in your comment (back in February), "I found out that CA glue doesn't like the ink in Sharpie markers."  So, did you use PVA glue instead?  What glue are you using on the planks, both on the plank-to-bulkhead and the plank edge-to-plank edge?  See what a total newbie I am?  

Rob

Glad to see your post, Dee Dee.  I've got a Glad Tidings under my bed, awaiting its holiday wrapping and eventual berth under the tree. I'm looking forward to following your lead.   

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

Don, Al, Steve, thank you for your vote of confidence and thanks to all who hit the like button.  Estoy, hope my build log adds to the info already provided in prior build logs! 

Rob,  Thanks for your interest in my build log.  I used a red sharpie to mark the right side bulkheads.  When I was gluing the bulkhead spacers, the first one was at the top of the bulkhead where there's red ink.  For some reason, the CA glue would not cure, the glue turned into a red, runny blob! 

On the planking, I use CA to glue on the bulkheads and edge to edge.  When gluing, I glue one bulkhead at a time, if the plank is straight, sometimes I'll plank two bulkheads at a time. 

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

Finished planking the A belt on the port side . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

The first sheer strake was a bit wonky, so I gave it another try and this one turned out much better, especially at the stern post

Made some adjustments to the location of butt joints (yes, they should be offset by at least three strakes, but the hull will be painted).  I didn't do any edge bending on the starboard bow planks, but I did on the port bow planks, I think this side turned out a bit better.            

5a387d2328d6e_3PlankingPortSide2G7A4100.thumb.jpg.85a3eb78f5c10e7af0964712afb37f38.jpg

I paid a lot of attention to the edge bending, where it starts / finishes and getting the bend just right.  The planking was taking a wonky curve (between the two orange lines) and I thought did something wrong.  I took a couple of bulkhead measurements and they're still good for the next belt.  So I'm thinking it's just the shape of the hull. 

Again, I sand as I go to about 90% done, this helps to ID any high spots.  For example, there's a slight bump on the bulkhead #17 on the third and fourth plank.  When I do the final sanding, I'll know not to go crazy trying to sand out that bump.   Also, to keep the soft basswood from eroding, I added a coat of poly wipe on. 

5a387d30146e7_3PortSternPlanking2G7A4101_edited-1.thumb.jpg.bce63808be09201f5c524ee5c3cc2267.jpg

Next up, I'll check all the bulkhead measurements, make any adjustments, then start planking the C Belt, seven blanks starting at the garboard and going up. 

Thanks for stopping by

Edited by Dee_Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

Re-measured all the bulkheads (in millimeters).  I was a bit off on #2 and #3 on the starboard side, but the others look OK.      

After I complete planking the C belt, I'll check all the measurements again before starting the middle belt.

Now, it's add some blue painters tape to keep the basswood from eroding and start planking!

5a3894381e91c_RemeasuredBulkheadsforBeltC.jpg.741aef49ffc96e67a5c09b1739069428.jpg

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

• 2 weeks later...

Glad Tidings planking continues!

Belt C on the port side is done.  Each strake had three planks, that were sanded to size using the chart in prior post.  Previously, I was using a razor blade to knock off the edge and small files shape the plank.  I purchased a set of mini scrapers and I'm hooked on using them!  They're faster and produce less air borne saw dust.  I learned real quick to be careful with the sharp corners of the scrapers.     

5a442fc5dfc93_CBeltPortSideFullView2G7A4162.thumb.jpg.ac55844b38bdd523f6e15e90f04fa4df.jpg

The garboard strake had a bit of a gap in the rabbit, so after adding the first strake, I filled the gap in with a sliver of wood.  Once it's painted, no one will see it.  The first strake hit the third bulkhead and the measurement I was using was on target.    

5a442fd18ebc1_BeltCPortSideBow2G7A4149.thumb.jpg.121c274b125eb79e36b6747ee71a5c81.jpg

To help get a good fit, the bow planks needed edge bending.  I'm using basswood which is easy to edge bend;  I marked the start / end of the bending, soak the plank in a glass of water for a couple of minutes, then used a hot iron on a piece of thick cardboard to bend.  At the bow, the bending was close to the end of the plank, so I didn't cut the plank to length until after the plank was bent.  I do a little bit of edge bending on almost all of the planks.  It's not a lot but makes fitting each plank a lot easier. 

5a442fdc04a2e_BeltCBowPortSideEdgeBending2G7A4152.thumb.jpg.1b0b594b722f7c5f39a18817b98c948d.jpg

Stern planking. 

5a442fed3139e_BeltCSternPortSide2G7A4163.thumb.jpg.21ff5d82aecc360262063d847d71f811.jpg

For the second and third bulkheads I had to measure them using a line I drew on the keel.  The measurement is good on the third bulkhead, but after the fourth strake, it's off on the second bulkhead, I mean really off - argh!!!!!!!!!!!. 

Deep breath!  

I'll make adjustments on the starboard side for the C belt. 

On the port side B belt, I have two options:  Seven strakes that are narrow at the bow or 6 strakes at the bow and add the seventh half way down the hull.  I'll think about it.      

I'll give this section a coat of poly, then when dry, cover it with more blue painters tape (to protect it and prevent erosion) then start on the starboard side.

Thanks for stopping by!

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

Steve,

Thanks for stopping by and hitting the like button.  The scrapers are 'Lynx Mini Scraper Set', they're small, ranging in length from 1.75" to 2" and not too expensive. 

Here's a link to Woodcraft: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/lynx-mini-scraper-set-4pc?via=573621f469702d06760016cd%2C57641b8969702d65930008c9

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

• 2 weeks later...

Another section of planking is done!  

The plank measurements for the second and third bulkhead were reduced to adjust for the too wide planks in Belt A.  I drew the seams on each side to show that with the thinner planks, each plank needed more edge bending.  By the fourth bulkhead, both sides are the same.   

5a540eb07a752_BowPlankingCompareWITHLINESDRAWN2G7A4166.thumb.jpg.947f6cd273dbe0d9cf632031d39762d5.jpg

It's been a while since I last planked.  The top section was the first section I planked, I really want to redo this section, but paint will cover it.  My planking has improved and I learned how to do the butt joints.

5a540ebcb65ff_SternSection2G7A4169.thumb.jpg.330742a7ea970ab26fa8190a37ceeb4d.jpg

Some planks need to be beveled.  But I've been over beveling every plank resulting in more than a few thin spots.  I'm shinning a light through these planks to show how thin it got.  On the top two planks, I reduced the beveling by 95% and there's no light shinning through these seams.  Since this hull is single planked, I'll be adding some epoxy on the inside to give it some strength. 

5a540ec39750a_ThinSpots-Solved2G7A4173.thumb.jpg.17cae277caa842a8198a9f1c28e167d6.jpg

The Plan

I re-measured both sides, starboard side with eight planks to go and port side with seven planks to go. 

The chart below shows the plan for the Middle B Belt.    

With the exception of #2 and #3 and #17, the measurements for the 'Middle B Belt' on the port and starboard side are within 0.15mm, about the thickness of two sheets of paper (highlighted in yellow).

I'll spot check the measurements after every plank, then check all of the measurements with three to go.   

But first, cover the planking with some blue painters tape and mix some epoxy....... 

5a540ecaed4ca_BulkheadMeasurements-BBeltComparison.jpg.55f1eae2aa9587f0b0fd0b47d538b787.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

• 2 weeks later...

The starboard planking is done!  Yeah! 

5a5fbc422bd05_StarboardPlankingDone2G7A4185.thumb.jpg.f8962d56c599aef84e2542556c14bbc4.jpg

My thumbs were sore, but my planking fingers were working.  I minimized the beveling and that solved the 'thin spots', but there are a few paper thin 'gaps' that were filled by the glue. 

The starboard Middle B belt was 8 planks.  After the first four planks were added, I measured again.  To avoid a 'skinny whiskey plank', I slightly undersized the these planks by 0.05 - 0.1mm. 

I added a couple of black lines to denote the individual belts and shows the difference in planking skills.  Now I need to work on aligning the joints.      

I'll cover this side in blue tape again to prevent the basswood from eroding from handling and dinks when I drop something heavy, like a set of calipers, on the hull.  To keep the blue tape from sticking, I wiped on a thin coat of poly. 

Below is the summary of measurements for the starboard side.  With the exception of the 5th, 6th and 7th bulkhead, the measurements for the last four planks varied were within 0.40mm of the first measurement.

Later today I'll start planking the port side per the plan below.  This is the side where the planks for the 2nd and 3rd bulkheads are going to be thin.  So this will be 'interesting........' 

5a5fbc48d6e05_BBeltMeasurementsStarboard.jpg.0d3c536ecf431d8c945aab9080e63280.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

This has been very instructive, Dee_Dee.  Thanks.  Looking forward to watching your progress.   

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

Mark,

Glad my build log is helpful for you.  Thanks for following and please, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. 

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

The planking is done!  Yeah!

After the last plank, I spent a few hours on each side with scrapers, sand paper and vacuuming!  Also, mixing and adding epoxy to a few thin spots for support.  Time well spent. 

When I started planking, I didn't have a planking plan, so belt A is different on each side.  But somewhere I settled on 6 / 8 and 11 / 13.  Thinking I should have had a third set of joints to break it up a bit more.    

5a66b0af15319_PlankingFinished-PortSide2G7A4213.thumb.jpg.cea5a78f536c16dfbd4f232b6ffca3df.jpg

The stern stem planking and the stem itself needs a little bit of filler.

5a66b0e2d1791_PortStern2G7A4219.thumb.jpg.e3d5940273c24d159e83ca48d7ab9ee6.jpg

In the original plan, the planks at the bow stem were 3.24mm on the port side and 3.43 on the starboard side.  Needless to say, I was a bit off.  

By the port side C belt, this measurement was down to 2.62mm.  I contemplated "adding a plank" for about 10 minutes, I stayed with the plan of narrow planks.  In this close up, you can see the difference in size as the planks hit the bow stem.

5a66b0f7a3c24_CloseupofPortBowPlanks2G7A4222.thumb.jpg.c466aba1820f1bae618d7a49f599a371.jpg

When I did the original planking plan, I thought I was measuring correctly.  To figure out where I went wrong, I 'charted' the planking plan.  In the chart below, the blue line is the original planking plan - the plan flat lined for the bowstem and second bulkhead.  Going back to basics, I 'smoothed' the numbers to follow the general line of the hull, the bow stem to 2.90 mm and 3.00 mm for bulkhead #2.  These measurements would have been a better start until I was able to get a 'solid' measurement.  OK, now I now better.   

5a66b13797a3e_PlankingPlanChart.jpg.456cbe7da422fccfb0cd4b43d70b5e7e.jpg

THE FINAL THREE PLANKS!!!!  

I wanted to make sure the last plank would be easy to shape and get a tight fit.  I remeasured and came up with a plan for the final plank, then worked backwards to get the measurements for the 2nd and 3rd to last planks.  These measurements are highlighted in gray in the spread sheet below. 

In the chart, the blue line shows the smooth shape / plan of the final plank and the green line shows the wonky shape of the other two planks.  It took time to get the 2nd and 3rd wonky planks shaped, but the last plank was really easy to make and fit.       

5a66b14af2849_PlankingPlanforPortMiddleBBelt.jpg.9e0376372c44689aa143f4461d1148f3.jpg

Chart Plank Width for Last Three Planks.jpg

And THAT's the last of the charts and graphs!

Need to do a bit more work on each side, then some sanding sealer and some covering to protect the hull from me adding unwanted nicks and dings in the hull.  I still need to decide on paint colors  

Thanks for stopping by!

Dee Dee

Edited by Dee_Dee
Delete excess photos

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

To finish planking a hull is always a good feeling.:)

I am so impressed with this build log, but I can't begin to tell you how all the charts have completely intimidated me.  I love the Glad Tidings, and was strongly considering it if I EVER get around to getting [re]started in this glorious hobby... now, I'm not so sure. :(

On 1/23/2018 at 5:07 PM, donrobinson said:

To finish planking a hull is always a good feeling.:)

Don

I like planking, but yes, it's always good to complete it.  Now, I have to 'get back on the paper' and start reading the instructions and drawings............ 

On 1/23/2018 at 5:27 PM, RFP said:

I am so impressed with this build log, but I can't begin to tell you how all the charts have completely intimidated me.  I love the Glad Tidings, and was strongly considering it if I EVER get around to getting [re]started in this glorious hobby... now, I'm not so sure. :(

Rob,

I'm one of 'those'  crazy analytical type personalities, where numbers need to make sense to me to confirm I'm staying on track. 

If I So if I go over the top, just tell me:  "There you goes again!  Getting all crazy and analytical again!"   

When it came time to actual planking, I keep it simple:  What's the width of each plank at each bulkhead, then I wrote those numbers down on a note pad.  The photo below answers that question for the eight planks of the starboard B Belt.  After four planks, I redid the measurements and again wrote those numbers down.  This hull was fun to plank and I hope you will still consider building Glad Tidings. 

Dee Dee

5a6fb08922177_PlankMeasurements-Simpleformat2G7A4224.thumb.jpg.28b845f0f015239b538f8353e5ccd64e.jpg

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

• 3 weeks later...

Hey There D .. How did I miss this one ! .. Love following your small craft builds, and this one is lining up to be another beauty .. Oh and am digging all the 'Charts n' Graphs' :rolleyes:

All The Very Best

Eamonn

BTW Can't wait to see what you do with the Emma C. that you have on your shelf .. 

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hey Eamonn!  It's really nice to hear from you!  Hope you are well!    

GT may be a small craft - but it's more than twice as long as my last build, with an overall length of 29.5" / 75cm.   I need to make a big space on the shelf for this one!

Joshua!  Thanks for stopping by. 

Yep!  I'm an anal analytical with lexdysic tendencies.  It's not supposed to be overwhelming, rather, it's meant to be a simple way to sand each plank to size.  When I plank my next build, I'll try a different approach, with less analysis. Your "Prince" is looking great!    

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

Glacial Boat Works is moving along..............slowly......................................

I made a small change with the framing for the cockpit.  I lopped off a small section from bulkhead #17 (shown in yellow), and used one piece of 1/8" x 1/4" for the cockpit framing (shown in green).

For the cockpit walls, I glued the pieces together, then backed each section with a strip of paper to give it some strength while sanding to size.   The final height sanding was done after gluing.  If you zoom in on the photo, you can see the paper backing. 

Silly me!  I forgot to add the drain in the cockpit flooring.  If I can find some thin black tubing, I'll add it. 

5a8b34099265e_CockpitBulkheadperplan2G7A4270.jpg.c1b26f3f8e837cd15ca4f391804cd4cf.jpg  5a8b341d784e2_CockpitBulkheadwithchange2G7A4270.jpg.dd3903fb46f3ca3fc9522b83c44ef3e8.jpg

5a8b34311a0eb_CockpitBulkheadasbuilt2G7A43030.jpg.e79f340c3148323161a49d2a464d2403.jpg

Deck Beams and Carlings

The deck beams and carlings for each cabin (shown in blue) are not really needed.    

But if you're bashing the heck out of this build, you will need these and I suggest adding these as timo4352 did in his build here ....   shown in orange.   This is where I got the idea to do the cockpit as I did.

5a8b3443c7544_CabinFootPrintForBuildingOptions2G7A4271.jpg.efcd77e7a956368c0eacb32241ea7684.jpg  5a8b344d6e023_Timo4352GTCarlings.jpg.9c53336e18e824a4893a04510875aab3.jpg

The waterways are a bit 'delicate' and both broke due to the wood grain, an easy fix.  Both ends needed sanding / shaping to fit the curves of the bow / stern stems and I heard a couple of 'crack's as I was gluing them on, but I don't see any cracks or lines.  Phew!!

Next up is planking the deck, I'll use the 1/16" x 3/32" basswood.  

Thanks for stopping by, questions, comments welcome.

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

• 4 weeks later...

The decking is done! 

To get a level decking, I did a lot of scraping with a razor blade, some light sanding with some sandpaper and a sanding sponge.  Then finished up with vacuuming!  I wiped on a thin coat of shellac to act as a sealer, it's easy to scrape off where needed.  The black lines are reference lines for the cabin placement. I'll glue on a 'cleat' to help align the cabin.    

5aad58bef23f8_DeckingComplete2G7A4503.thumb.jpg.f75fed4533de1df64401d3cf6dd04217.jpg

These are the cabin footprints - Ooops!  The forward cabin should be flipped 180*

5aad58ca7c96c_CabinFootprints2G7A4504.thumb.jpg.77d3c727069254e2108b9603e20fb675.jpg

I'm disappointed with the lumber in the kit - Almost every piece had significant saw blade marks that had to be sanded down to get a tight fit.  I coated the edges with some shellac before sanding and sanded just enough to get a flat edge.  The kit was designed to use 12 planks on each side, covering just under 60mm.  However, since each strip had to be sanded, 12 planks left me with a 2mm gap on both sides. 

I did some creative press fitting to fill the gap. 

5aad58d392537_TightFit2G7A4500_edited-1.thumb.jpg.bfd48584d40352822c1447e6a7293b6d.jpg

I still need to figure out the personality and color scheme.  I've decided to not use the round portholes, instead, I'll make rectangle shaped windows and skylights.  I really like what John Earl did with his pinky, check out John's pinky here and here.     

Thanks for stopping by.

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

She looks great Dee Dee. I just got back to mine yesterday and am in just about the same place you are. I went with a dark green hull. I think it was common for work boats of the era. I didn’t like the yellow.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED