Bismarck by Channell - Trumpeter - 1/200 - PLASTIC

What size drills, Carl? The really fine carbide ones are brittle.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I've been using some bits meant to clean the nozzles of 3d printers for my tiny hole needs... they seem to hold up a little better than normal micro bits and cut great on the soft Trumpeter plastic. 

I've been a man possessed this week; have been working every evening on Bissy.  I rimmed the wood deck with .010x.030 styrene strip and brought the entire perimeter of the hull in alignment through a mix of trimming the wood deck edges and sanding/shaving the hull sides. After that, I masked off the deck and got yet another coat of primer on.  

Looking forward to installing the hull photo-etch and hopefully getting at least the final upper hull grey sprayed on by the end of this weekend. :dancetl6:

nJkeh3r.jpg

Edited by channell

I'd be happy with your results.......I've never done one before.  I bought the Revell Arizona kit and wanted to do one on it,  but no one makes one for it.  

I guess I'll have to live with a painted one.  they look very nice though :)    well done.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

I'd be happy with your results.......I've never done one before.  I bought the Revell Arizona kit and wanted to do one on it,  but no one makes one for it.  

I guess I'll have to live with a painted one.  they look very nice though :)    well done.

Thanks!

Honestly, the best decks I've seen have been painted ones (except for in larger scales where you can use actual individual wood "planks" without loosing your mind!) . The standard wooden decks (Pontos, KA, Artwox) tend to have straight grain running the entire length of the deck and are very yellow in color + being very grainy looking up close... other than being a bit of woody eye-candy they don't do much for scale accuracy. 

Unfortunately the Trumpeter Bissy molded-on deck is garbage as it comes out of the box... just straight lines with no "boxed in" hull fittings and blank plastic over the anchor chain runways when it should also be planked. Otherwise, I might have been better off masking and painting individual planks considering how much work it was to make the damn Scaledecks maindeck fit!  

3 minutes ago, channell said:

Thanks!

Honestly, the best decks I've seen have been painted ones (except for in larger scales where you can use actual individual wood "planks" without loosing your mind!) . The standard wooden decks (Pontos, KA, Artwox) tend to have straight grain running the entire length of the deck and are very yellow in color + being very grainy looking up close... other than being a bit of woody eye-candy they don't do much for scale accuracy. 

Unfortunately the Trumpeter Bissy molded-on deck is garbage as it comes out of the box... just straight lines with no "boxed in" hull fittings and blank plastic over the anchor chain runways when it should also be planked. Otherwise, I might have been better off masking and painting individual planks considering how much work it was to make the damn Scaledecks maindeck fit!  

lol but you will be happy with it knowing you got it right

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I bookmarked a video of a guy doing that!!!.........sadly,  I dumped it,  thinking that I'd never get up the 'brass' to do it.  I've also seen the individual planked deck method too..........I did it with a Revell U.S.S. United States kit {there is a log}........and yes......drove me bonkers doing it  :D    you still got very nice results,  even though you had to make a few modifications.  I like the scale deck coloration........adds more to the deck than just one color wood.   I did some reading about the Trumpeter Arizona,  and found out that it too has a few inaccuracies.   for the money,  I shied away from it,  not wanting to make that many modifications.   I'm finding this true about the Revell kit.......but in it's defense,  the kit has always been like this........they made no improvements all these years ;)    no doubt the 'bizz' suffers from the same affliction 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

You should, however, admit you did a damn good job on it. Your hull looks impec, and you deck ... well from here I would say it's wood

Fortunately, here at MSW we know we are our own worst critics ... I am in the stage of painting an 1/350 .5"x .75" destroyer's bridge deck, and it doesn't look good - size probably is a factor - on another one I used off cuts from a battleship's wooden deck, Pontos or Fly Hawk, and that looked a lot nicer, despite the, what you call "straight grain" from front to back. You should wait 'till you've got some deck furniture for rent on the decks. It will make a lot of difference

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

41 minutes ago, cog said:

You should, however, admit you did a damn good job on it. Your hull looks impec, and you deck ... well from here I would say it's wood

Fortunately, here at MSW we know we are our own worst critics ... I am in the stage of painting an 1/350 .5"x .75" destroyer's bridge deck, and it doesn't look good - size probably is a factor - on another one I used off cuts from a battleship's wooden deck, Pontos or Fly Hawk, and that looked a lot nicer, despite the, what you call "straight grain" from front to back. You should wait 'till you've got some deck furniture for rent on the decks. It will make a lot of difference

we spend months doing something that has to be just right, and then cover it all up LOL, we are our own worst enemies

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Great work, what are using to patch the hull?

Thanks, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

8 hours ago, cog said:

Thanks, like most of us I only see the flaws... especially the ones that aren't visible in the pictures. :P

I'm having trouble getting myself to a happy place on the anchor hawse "bumps" on the sides of the hull for example; I've reworked them several times, making them larger and smaller and tweaking the shape but those stupid little details are a tough one for me to get "right" when trying to work from pics of the original ship. 

8 hours ago, Kevin said:

we spend months doing something that has to be just right, and then cover it all up LOL, we are our own worst enemies

Isn't that the truth! It's easy to burn all one's enthusiasm for a project by getting hung up on stuff that won't be noticed anyway. 

Edited by channell

1 hour ago, cog said:

Isn't that a requirement

Not a requirement, but certainly can help, and probably a possible result of our endeavors! :blink:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

27 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Not a requirement, but certainly can help, and probably a possible result of our endeavors! :blink:

I thought it was the reason for our endeavors.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, cog said:

Isn't that a requirement ... :huh:

That we all have on here.:dancetl6:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

We all need help, I don't think there is a cure😨😣, but we keep on forging ahead anyway😏

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Glad to know I've got company in the nuthouse!  :P

So after finishing the edges of the deck and cleaning up the mess I dived right into photoetch and sealed it away behind a layer of Tamiya primer. Starboard is done; only the port side stern left to do. 

uuJQzsD.jpg

PjzwWoq.jpg

KhUf616.jpg

VAzA7r9.jpg

aklHoDK.jpg

I picked white to make any remaining detail issues pop out so I can address them before the final color goes on. I think the porthole frames came out a little too thick but such is life; hoping I can paint the insides black after final pain to help the look. Still so much work to do!  

Edited by channell

Thanks Richmond! 

Hit a milestone; the hull is done, PE is complete and Bissy is finally getting her final colors...

W0Hgdtr.jpg

mOIifgl.jpg

aNXfwYA.jpg

2RkJbac.jpg

evKhd26.jpg

I first planned to paint the upper hull in Model Masters "grau" but it didn't look right so I went with Tamiya "sky grey" instead. On the real ship the hull was painted a somewhat darker shade of grey than the superstructure and this color goes nicely with my upper hull paint choice (Model Masters Litchtgrau); I am purposely aiming for lighter hues than real-life for scale effect and am admittedly more interested in a model that looks good than fretting over exact color matches so hopefully the infamous Teutonic rivet counters that haunt the darker reaches of the model interwebs don't go all gestapo on me.  ;)

It's a big hull to paint with a little airbrush but (along with the white primer) it's a good way to get an ever so slightly streaked look that adds some depth to the hull. It took a couple hours to get done.

Next comes the red anti-fouling paint and last the dark grey boot top; I'm giving at least a full day of dry time between each so I don't have to worry about pulling up any paint with the masking tape (always a lurking problem on Trumpeter big boat plastics). 

Until next time...

im sure i bought Lifecolor for my build but just could not get on with it, all your work has paid off well done

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

im sure i bought Lifecolor for my build but just could not get on with it, all your work has paid off well done

8 hours ago, CDW said:

All that prep work you performed pays huge dividends in a great finish.

The hull looks magnificent.

Something funky about the plastic Trumpeter uses for these 1/200 kits... they just don't like to take paint straight out of the box.  I try to rough up the plastic a little with 4-600 grit sandpaper and/or fine steel wool, then hit it with rattlecan Tamiya primer (airbrush primer for smaller bits)... after that I have no problems getting airbrushed acrylics to behave well. Of course I can't help cutting up and rebuilding the damn things so A LOT of surface prep is generally par for the course on my builds. :piratetongueor4:

Edited by channell

CHANNELL

Maybe I missed it in the log; are they PE steps on the side of your hull or and if so how did you get them so well aligned. I have seen many modelers struggling with this.

RICHMOND

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

9 hours ago, Richmond said:

CHANNELL

Maybe I missed it in the log; are they PE steps on the side of your hull or and if so how did you get them so well aligned. I have seen many modelers struggling with this.

RICHMOND

Yep, they are PE... truth is mine aren't perfect either but I guess they turned out OK.  

The Pontos PE set comes with little PE drill guide plates meant to be taped on the hull for easy drilling of the step holes; on this kit I inletted the plates straight onto the hull. While it makes for perfectly straight holes in the end, I don't think I'll do it again as it was a lot more work and I ended up having to drill the holes out again anyway because they filled up with primer. Otherwise, it was just carefully "gluing legs on an ant" and trying to keep 'em straight as I went. 

BTW, got my red-brown lower hull painted last night (the superstructure is the messed up pieces of the original Bissy)...

351sbun.jpg

SpipVwV.jpg

Edited by channell

for an 'old' structure...still looks really good :)   nice paint job.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: