Bismarck by Channell - Trumpeter 1/200

Bismarck had fired on one of the RN cruisers that had spotted and was shadowing her earlier. The concussion of her own big guns knocked out Bismarck's forward radar so Admiral Lutjens moved Prinz Eugen in front. 

Both ships had roughly similar general profiles and with distance and weather (remember they started firing at each other at 12-15 MILES away) the British wrongly guessed Bismarck was in the lead. Prinz Eugen was undamaged in the battle but Prince of Wales scored a couple of minor hits on Bismarck, forcing Admiral Lutjens to slow down a couple knots and making Bismarck loose fuel, effectively ending Operation Rhine for the Germans and turning a planned convoy raiding expedition into a chase as Bismarck attempted to get to France for repairs.

I think channell is a little more correct at 12-15 miles on the range OC I believe 20-25 miles is over the horizon kind of range and I don't think any of the ships involved had that ability.

I don't think i have ever read that the Bismarck had lost radar but it has been a while since I read up on her ant the battle so I could be wrong. It was my understanding that as admiral Lutjens knew about the cruisers and all the ships were in and out of visible range he took the opportunity to put the more powerful Bismarck in the rear hoping that they would make the mistake of closing to get a better look and he could dispatch them before they knew what had happened. That would have allowed him to continue his escape into the Atlantic. He had to assume there were bigger British ships coming but prior to the Hood and Prince of Wales coming over the horizon had no idea of where, who, or when. 

It was also my understanding that it was admiral Holland that ordered his ships to open fire on the Prinz Eugen because as you said the distance was great and it was very early in the morning and the light was not all that good. Plus that was where he EXPECTED the Bismarck to be. Captain Leach thought they were not firing on the right ship but followed orders for the first few salvos before switching to the Bismarck before his guns failed all together.

Again this all is mostly from memory and a VERY condensed version of events as well. It really has been a while since I have read up on the battle and of course new things are discovered every day.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Beautiful model, I take my hat off to you Channell on your patience (and all others.) who also) enhance with PE.  The results are really amazing and I think always makes the incredibly hard and tedious look simple when just looking at the results.  The wood deck is a really nice addition with all the individually coloured planks.  I too would like to see more of the Hood!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

8 minutes ago, Beef Wellington said:

Beautiful model, I take my hat off to you Channell on your patience (and all others.) who also) enhance with PE.  The results are really amazing and I think always makes the incredibly hard and tedious look simple when just looking at the results.  The wood deck is a really nice addition with all the individually coloured planks.  I too would like to see more of the Hood!

Thanks!

There is an insane amount of PE on this build, more than I've ever attempted before but it seems to be going well so far. I've honestly been having a good time working on Bissy over these past few months, guess that's what matters most! 

My Hood build has been on ice for a couple years now and is an equally monster project as the Bismarck but I got bogged down on the build and just wasn't "feeling it" at the time. I figured it was better to wait until the "right time" came to pick it up again... and it will, just like my "Bismarck Madness" came back after a few years. 

These superdetailed 1/200 warships are not easy projects to see through to the end... hopefully I'm getting old and mature enough now to actually get a few of 'em finished instead  of just flitting around between overly ambitious and overwhelming projects...

4 minutes ago, channell said:

Thanks!

There is an insane amount of PE on this build, more than I've ever attempted before but it seems to be going well so far. I've honestly been having a good time working on Bissy over these past few months, guess that's what matters most! 

My Hood build has been on ice for a couple years now and is an equally monster project as the Bismarck but I got bogged down on the build and just wasn't "feeling it" at the time. I figured it was better to wait until the "right time" came to pick it up again... and it will, just like my "Bismarck Madness" came back after a few years. 

These superdetailed 1/200 warships are not easy projects to see through to the end... hopefully I'm getting old and mature enough now to actually get a few of 'em finished instead  of just flitting around between overly ambitious and overwhelming projects...

Your work  inspires us all   and  its a pleasure to follow  these 1/200  scale builds  as they offer that extra insite (due to the scale)  into the real ship/s,   we have to remember - we are not dealing with plastic models,  but scale replicas.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 minute ago, CDW said:

How much thought have you given to where you will display your model when it's finished?

I have a few ideas of how I might display my large scale ship models, but that's another project all it's own. Very soon, it's going to be a necessary undertaking for me.

An extra house.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

9 minutes ago, CDW said:

How much thought have you given to where you will display your model when it's finished?

I have a few ideas of how I might display my large scale ship models, but that's another project all it's own. Very soon, it's going to be a necessary undertaking for me.

This is my solution, though I'm gonna have to evict the Admiral from the lower shelves eventually...:dancetl6:

15419976760389090547052849619619.jpg

From the book  Anatomy of the ship,Bismarck  - "Friday 23 May 1941 - at 20:30 Hrs Bismarck sights Norfolk in the fog and fires five heavy artillery gun salvos.No hits scored.The forward radar set on Bismarck is disabled.Prinz Eugen takes over position in the lead."

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Thanks Mark

I suspected that when channell brought it up that it had come from somewhere. I had just not seen it in the several books and accounts I had read over the years. Also admittedly all several years ago as well.

Now I know the source. I do not have that particular book but I will stand corrected.

I also did some back reading of a book I do have "The German Fleet At war 1939-1945 by Vincent O'Hara and he also states that the Bismarck lost her forward radar in firing on the Norfolk. He still maintains that Lutjens placed the Bismarck to the rear so he could possibly hold off or incapacitate the cruisers with his bigger guns should they give him the opportunity. So I have to take full blame for forgetting the radar part as I read this book after some of the others I have. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Although the book is very specific about the timeline of the battle,it doesn`t actually say Prinz Eugen took the lead because of the disabled radar. One would just assume that`s why.  Other sources may be more specific about that. I`m no expert on the battle,but it does make for some fascinating reading:).

Mark 

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Neat, clean, and professional. The Pontos set adds amazing levels of detail to an otherwise good model without any aftermarket at all. I have yet to find any other photo etch sets that come close to the realism that Pontos provides. You're going to have a lot of hours invested in this model when it's finished.

Doesn't it make you glad we are not getting paid by the hour to build model ships? I'd probably be earning about 10 cents per hour.🙂

6 minutes ago, CDW said:

Neat, clean, and professional. The Pontos set adds amazing levels of detail to an otherwise good model without any aftermarket at all. I have yet to find any other photo etch sets that come close to the realism that Pontos provides. You're going to have a lot of hours invested in this model when it's finished.

Doesn't it make you glad we are not getting paid by the hour to build model ships? I'd probably be earning about 10 cents per hour.🙂

I'd take it... the $50 bucks we'd make after 500 hours could finance a bottle of the good stuff for the end-of-build celebration party... :D

But yeah,  Pontos is my go-to for detail sets. A lot of people on the interwebs seem to like to poo-poo Pontos as their PE is more complicated and difficult than the competition, their instructions tend to have more errors than Microsoft Windows and they routinely promise sets that never get released and/or release sets months after they say they will but there's no beating the end-results. 

I also like how Pontos makes a strong effort towards accuracy rather than just trying to add bling as well. There were many detail errors and omissions on the OOTB Trumpy kit bulkheads that I'm working on now for example... all the other detail sets just follow Trumpy's plan but Pontos wipes the bulkheads clean and starts over with details that are true to the actual ship. That's pretty cool in my opinion, even if it's a helluva lot of work. 

If I planted myself in my chair building for 10 hours they would have to bring in a stretcher to get me out! My back would be welded in place! 

But the pictures show that when you do it, the results are phenomenal.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

i thought your last attempt at this build was good, but the PE on here has taken it to another level, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

22 minutes ago, Kevin said:

i thought your last attempt at this build was good, but the PE on here has taken it to another level, well done

Thanks! 

Hard to believe it's already been near 6 years since this kit hit the market and we all took over the model ship forums as we went to work on ours...  There was A LOT of excitement for this thing back then, wasn't there? 

Good times...

Anyhoo, It feels good to be back to work on one. . :cheers:  

look'in good Channell.........your making some great progress on her :)   the PE looks fantastic!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Got the back half of the lower superstructure knocked out... here's how it all looks so far:

E5MQQTK.jpg

CBLhurY.jpg

wCSYmvO.jpg

vqeXJRP.jpg

z6gum3e.jpg

JvVO7HE.jpg

dDWkslF.jpg

Next on the list is permanently attaching the superstructure, getting the little seam between the two gone, adding some PE rib supports where the two pieces meet and putting together/painting/ installing the life rings and fire hoses. 

Edited by channell

Amazing work.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

very nice :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The detail almost overwhelms the ability for the eyes to take it all in! It is astonishing just how small all this stuff really is. The pictures make it look easier because they make it look so big.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Awesome work!!

Are you going to paint the Camouflage? (Zig-Zags/False Bow Wave?)

(Interested as I have this kit in storage for the near future.)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Am I right in thinking  - the dark grey band around every obstruction from the deck upwards about a foot or two high,  is it a form of  water proof paint to seal where the deck meets the superstructure/obstructions?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 11/17/2018 at 8:34 PM, Old Collingwood said:

Am I right in thinking  - the dark grey band around every obstruction from the deck upwards about a foot or two high,  is it a form of  water proof paint to seal where the deck meets the superstructure/obstructions?

OC.

I have no idea to be honest, I always thought it was an appearance thing, otherwise the light grey paint would get scuff marks. I'd imagine the whole ship used water resistant enamel paint otherwise.  

On 11/17/2018 at 7:16 PM, hof00 said:

Awesome work!!

Are you going to paint the Camouflage? (Zig-Zags/False Bow Wave?)

(Interested as I have this kit in storage for the near future.)

Cheers....HOF.

Nope, I'm doing Bissy as she appeared late in 1940, before the camo pattern was applied. I'm also backdating the kit to look the same as the ship was technically incomplete at this stage and lacking several smaller improvements that were made in early 1941. 

bissy2.jpg

... and I finished step #3 over the weekend! 

pZARcTi.jpg

Got the life rings and hose reels on... I decided to go with the KA PE life rings over the Pontos rings (Pontos provides little rubber o-rings that look a bit out of scale to me and aren't as flat as the real thing) 

As I had to glue the superstructure to the wood deck which in turn is only stuck to the plastic with wood glue (and the superstructure pieces had to be flexed a bit to sit entirely flat on the deck) I rigged up a quick and  dirty setup with string and thick styrene strips to help hold the superstructure down and guard against future separation problems:

VSJe7PS.jpg

I also added some stairways and rails on the back end of the superstructure:

RNqaevZ.jpg

I also went around to every vent with a tiny needle and tried to poke out any parts of the vent screens that were clogged with paint/glue, most of 'em cleaned out just fine. I then hit the vents with a wash to darken them up a little. 

Still debating whether to attempt weathering the whole ship or going with a clean "museum style" build... what do you guys think would be better? 

Edited by channell