Bismarck by Channell - Trumpeter 1/200

2 hours ago, cog said:

Looks rather nice for a messed up ship ...

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

for an 'old' structure...still looks really good :)   nice paint job.

A lot of the finer detail is missing/damaged; I also used the KA detail set (which isn't as accurate, detailed and shiny as the Pontos set) on that one and besides, the fun in the journey, right? Can't have fun building if the building has already been done!   :dancetl6:

Besides, I'm better at this stuff now than I was 5 years ago so I'll get even better results. I'm really pushing for something great here... don't know if I'll succeed in the end but I'm sure trying anyway. 

It's been nice to have the bits of my original Bismarck for spares/color experimentation and  the experience of building this kit before is a big help with my planning and execution of the new build, so I don't feel like it's a big waste. I also have semi-vague intentions to do a 1/200 Bismarck wreck someday with Bissy #1... something I don't think has been done before and that would be really cool to see. 

I echo these views on the PE and the paint job, fantastic workmanship.

Just a few questions if you don't mind:

How much of your jar of Tamiya 10ml are you getting through when painting the hull. I have the Tamiya Tirpitz 1/350 in my stash and am concerned that I will run short with a large paint job.

Are you using the creos levelling thinner with your Tamiya?

Richmond

Edited by Richmond

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

Just now, Richmond said:

I echo these views on the PE and the paint job. Are you using a levelling thinner with your paints?

I always use the same brand thinner with the brand of paint but no special leveling thinner. I generally aim to get my primer undercoat looking as if it was the final coat and my pathetic Ninja air compressor doesn't provide much airbrush pressure so I do lots of light coats with well-thinned paint and it somehow it all comes out fairly smooth (with a very slight texture that's visible under magnification and isn't shiny). 

Since I'm doing military subjects my "technique" seems to work out well for me, but I admit I'm just a 1 trick pony when it comes to airbrushing. Bissy #1 is actually the first time I used one... before that I used only rattlecans and hairy sticks so I should probably get more up to speed on the thing. 

I have to agree with you on the second build being less hard. I'm on my second WWII Tribal class destroyer, the first one I bashed rather heavily on the rear superstructure, and the bridge. The current one it's the bow I altered, and adding more detail with PE, and loose stanchions with EZ line, you know, the stuff for whimps ;). I found some rather nice 3D printed parts at shapeways, European, so that might not be of interest to you when postage is added ...

Your hull "red" is not as dark as I expected, how much of a light grey/white did you add, or is it ready made?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

8 minutes ago, cog said:

I have to agree with you on the second build being less hard. I'm on my second WWII Tribal class destroyer, the first one I bashed rather heavily on the rear superstructure, and the bridge. The current one it's the bow I altered, and adding more detail with PE, and loose stanchions with EZ line, you know, the stuff for whimps ;). I found some rather nice 3D printed parts at shapeways, European, so that might not be of interest to you when postage is added ...

Your hull "red" is not as dark as I expected, how much of a light grey/white did you add, or is it ready made?

It's actually Model Master burnt sienna made a bit lighter by the white Tamiya primer underneath. I was going to use Lifecolor rotten-schiff-bottom (or whatever it's called in English ;)) but when I attempted to airbrush it, it didn't go so well.  I wiped it off, made a mental note to never buy that brand of paint again and went digging in my paint drawer for paint... turns out the MM stuff is pretty dang close. 

Ok, here she is with the boot top painted on:

ChtBf6Xh.jpg

f8DOF0jh.jpg

ObtdxLhh.jpg

l35YVPOh.jpg

rCjyp8Ah.jpg

veKwzKYh.jpg

I had to do it twice as I felt the boot top was too narrow looking the first time around... looking at original pics of Bismarck, I noticed she had a really thick boot top around the timeframe I am portraying her. 

Edited by channell

Very very tidy.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

that red has pretty much the same tint as the red primer I like to use.    I have a small compressor that I got with my 'spraycraft' set up.......but when I have to do the big jobs,  I hook up to the 25 gal compressor in the garage.  I made a special adapter for the airbrush,  and I can adjust the output low enough.  I do a lot of big hulls  ;)    she's look'in really nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I only have the 1 Iwata airbrush currently, so I'm either stuck painting a big hull with an airbrush that's too small or turning to rattlecans for salvation; this time I stuck with the airbrush and while it took forever I'm happy with the results. 

The family and I were out wandering the 4 corners region of the American Southwest this past week:

eTBQC8L.jpg

2vvad89.jpg

...so I didn't have time to do a lot on Bissy, besides make a mess to clean up later:

bZPy4cP.jpg

qSXr02u.jpg

dt3A6bc.jpg

HJLXhpP.jpg

2Vc8Vel.jpg

Fellow Bismarck fans might notice that I've modified the spray shields in front of the three big vents on the superstructure to reflect Bissy's earlier configuration. I've also put in the PE pieces I need to integrate into the superstructure in a (hopefully) seamless fashion before I go nuts with tiny PE details. 

Funny thing is, I'm still only on step #3 in the instruction booklet!

r9pxOnd.jpg

Work continues on! Still on good terms with my build and not sick of it yet. :piratebo5:

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Love the Bismarck photos, but OMG, the American southwest photos take the cake.

Where exactly were those photos taken? I don't recall seeing anything like that before now.

The top is Goblin Valley, UT and the ruins are Cliff Palace at Mesa Verde NP, CO. We've got some seriously spectacular scenery out in this part of the world, that's for sure! 

You have some very interesting sights in the US ... pitty I'll never see them ...

already at page 3!?!? At the pace you are going you've finished bissie in a jiffy ... each time I am remembered by your build to drill out the doors, and with each build I forget ... (must be the age) What putty do you use here?

Edited by cog

Carl

6 hours ago, cog said:

You have some very interesting sights in the US ... pitty I'll never see them ...

already at page 3!?!? At the pace you are going you've finished bissie in a jiffy ... each time I am remembered by your build to drill out the doors, and with each build I forget ... (must be the age) What putty do you use here?

I use Squadron putty mainly with a little bit of Testors Contour putty for small blemishes and thick CA glue as putty on delicate photo etch. 

Squadron putty is messy but it melts into the plastic which helps get rid of seams and makes a good hard surface for re-contouring when used in conjunction with layers of filler primer. It's also relatively cheap. :P

nice progress Channell :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Ah yes I know the sentiment ... the PE on my destroyer is a multiplication of the kit's value ... and then I haven't even started on the 3D printed parts ... fortunately a hobby can cost serious money :D

Carl

Every year, I go to an RC aircraft event called Top Gun. Contestants from all over the world come to compete for the title of, Top Gun. They are judged for static scale fidelity as well as a choreographed solo flight performance. The event is not limited to, but consists mainly of jet fuel powered turbine engine aircraft. Now when I go to this event, I always leave feeling very good about how little I spend on my plastic modeling hobby compared to these modelers. They literally have tens of thousands of dollars wrapped up in each model aircraft....and in an instant, they shatter into a gazillion pieces when they crash. And they do crash from time to time. 

I've watched many flights on you tube..........some are great.........but yea,  when they crash,  you want to cry along with the guy.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thought I'd add some more mid-week progress...

Nearly ready to start on the superstructure detail PE, although it's taking some time to get the forward superstructure base up to snuff first:

I reinstalled the AA gun platform extensions with a raised "line" on the deck surface a la the real ship and added new support girders underneath:

PLPmEjhh.jpg

1dnkFLGh.jpg

... did A LOT of sanding and a couple coats of primer:

UEOyw6hh.jpg

V75OKqNh.jpg

molGyrch.jpg

...and will hopefully get everything else installed and ready for final paint by the start of next week. Lots of extra work but I think it will be worth it in the end.  :wave_1:

All right, got another update for y'all.

KnHVjNy.jpg

I'm trying to do Bissy as she looked in the late fall/early winter of 1940, so I've been chasing down things from the kit that were added (and removed)  during Bismarck's only refit in January 1941 such as the second level of the vent spray shields on the forward superstructure. Unfortunately, I had not done my homework very well... turns out the two little "phone booths" by the docking bridges that I worked so hard on were added in 1/41 too.  Damnit! Oh well, nothing to do but fix it. 

Oh the carnage! 

LKJ3hMt.jpg

Patching the newly made holes:

gne95dj.jpg

xXsrrip.jpg

...and I'm back in the Teutonic rivet-counter's good graces. 😁

Next I went to work on the deck area behind Turret "Bruno" laying the deck and installing the AA gun "fences" so that I could take out the seams and better integrate them into the superstructure instead of doing the sensible thing and just slapping them on top last:

FrLnMop.jpg

gSs8MNg.jpg

ZFZRvwr.jpg

I pre-painted this area to make make masking a little easier for myself, later I can touch up. 

Finally made a start on the copious amounts of PE that need to go on the superstructure:

4BCkImu.jpg

Those louver vents are little monsters to get together! 

Loving the attention to detail   and your persistance at getting it right.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

17 minutes ago, CDW said:

Are those louvers on the vents separate pieces? Look great!

Yeah, they are. Here's what they look like on the fret. 

You bend the little triangles out, stick the frame on the grille and glue the louvers on one by one. 

Easy in concept but a real test of my patience to get them glued straight and not mucked up, and they fall apart if you look at 'em wrong using PVA. With CA glue it's a nightmare to do it cleanly and not clog up the grille with glue runoff. 

Did I mention this is fun?! :wacko:

20181021_192034.jpg

Edited by channell

4 hours ago, channell said:

Did I mention this is fun?! :wacko:

All in a day's work ... isn't it fun? It's hobby, so people say it should be ... we modellers must be gluttons for pain ... physically and metally. Fortunately I'm a mental case, so I like the PE ...

You removed the phone booths ... how will those poor boys call mamy, when things get scawwy? I'm impressed with your destructive perseverance of your own work, I hope, at the rate you are going, you won't be taking her apart instead of building her up ... you could make a sunken diorama - you mentioned earlier - yourself if your destructive mood goes to far ... She does look very sleek ... Won't the wooden deck be a pain when you have to paint fixed parts???

Edited by cog

Carl

6 hours ago, cog said:

All in a day's work ... isn't it fun? It's hobby, so people say it should be ... we modellers must be gluttons for pain ... physically and metally. Fortunately I'm a mental case, so I like the PE ...

You removed the phone booths ... how will those poor boys call mamy, when things get scawwy? I'm impressed with your destructive perseverance of your own work, I hope, at the rate you are going, you won't be taking her apart instead of building her up ... you could make a sunken diorama - you mentioned earlier - yourself if your destructive mood goes to far ... She does look very sleek ... Won't the wooden deck be a pain when you have to paint fixed parts???

Those poor little bastards are just gonna have have to ask Admiral Lutjens for a hug when the Royal Navy shows them what's what I guess. Gonna be a bit awkward when I eventually park my finished Bissy in my display cabinet right next to my big Nellie (HMS Nelson)... even more so when I finish Hood someday. :piratetongueor4:

The deck is easy enough to mask off; I hoped to avoid the worst of it by pre-painting the tough to reach spots too. The superstructure still isn't glued down either, so I should be fine.

But yeah, I have a nasty habit of deconstructing kits and then rebuilding them as I see fit and this build is no exception.... there's gonna be very little "Trumpeter" left on my Trumpeter kit when it's all said and done!  Anyway I figure I might as well show the ugly as well as the good on my build logs and I am enjoying myself... just not putting together the louver vents. There's always something on a big build that just plain sucks... but still, one has to just grunt though anyway.