Bluenose by Worldway - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

In the pictures above you can see the keel clamp I use to hold my model while I work on it.  Tonight I was doing more fairing, sanding block in one hand and trying to support the model with the other hand.  Then I heard the inevitable snap.  I froze, set down the sanding block gently and backed away.  I couldn't see any damage but as I took a closer examination I could see that I got a fracture in the keel at the bearding line.  From the very beginning I told myself that there would be a weak point at the bearding line and was always trying to be careful and mindful of it.  I ended up smearing some CA glue along the bearding line. I think it worked because it doesn't wiggle as much as it did.  I'm very close to starting planking and I know once that is complete everything will be fine especially once I add the garboard strake.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Yeh i'm regretting it at this stage.  It might be nice for decking. installing deck furniture or rigging (any upright activity) but this thing advertises that it's a hull planking clamp.  I dare not put it on an angle any more.  I'll need to ask the admiral for an old pillow, or I'll just steal hers ;)

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Thanks J, may have to grab one, however I've had my account put on hold by the admiral.  

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I sure feel better when the planking is done for the same reason you've just encountered!  You'll be there soon!  Good luck for now.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

I have an issue I'm hoping someone can help me with.  I have a feeling the answer is right in front of my face but I'll ask anyway.  I want to install the Great Beam

20170307_175943_resized.thumb.jpg.da1865635a3ddf2925a19ab66380c918.jpg

The instructions say the parts are on the laser cut billets, which of course, they are

20170307_180139_resized.thumb.jpg.45081efa51fe5587eea9b5d0c6dd54a2.jpg

But my question is, why is there two of each beam when it seems obvious that only one is required

20170307_180246_resized.thumb.jpg.3b4b026e6137a79d801405e3468805f9.jpg

I realize I have the beam upside down.

It leaves me wondering if I am missing anything. 

Please comment.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Derek,

Sometimes they laser cut two items since they have the space, same thing happened with the build of my longboat.

There were extra pieces not being used.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks Steve but the drawing is to scale and the billet that they are cut in is 3/32" thick.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I'm thinking Per has the right response.  I'll just wait a bit to see if someone who has built this kit can confirm.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Derek check your pm inbox in some minutes

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Derek, I've just finished reading your Mare Nostrum log, and then this one. I really appreciate the 'warts and all' approach you have; you don't try to hide anything, and I'm learning a lot from your travails. Sorry that I don't have any brilliant advice to offer, but I just thought you'd like to know that your logs are really helping some people.

I really appreciate the kind words RichieG

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I installed the Great Beam tonight. There is a small problem with MS instructions in the fact that they tell you to install the waterways planking prior to installing the Great Beam.  However, the beam should be the first thing to install.  I had to cut out some planking to accommodate the beams.

20170308_181335_resized.thumb.jpg.5284352deccb065e3055f14cc51469a0.jpg

Then I had to add tiny filler pieces to the planking to correct for the error

20170308_184329_resized.thumb.jpg.cf18a71db2467c67f2e244e5028e6e69.jpg

Anyway, the beam is installed.  Luckily the waterways are going to be painted so it should hopefully hide the filler pieces.

20170308_184425_resized.thumb.jpg.729463ff2ae361a313edac48ca54f3c8.jpg

20170308_184429_resized.thumb.jpg.4ac1953558d6f4f33c89cbd6001eba29.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Good save Derek.  Don't you wish instructions were infallible - it would please me!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Yes Doug you're right.  But I think the biggest lesson learned and one that has been repeated several times over, READ AHEAD.  Go forward in the instructions then assemble your own build plan.  I've already skipped 4 or 5 steps in the manual, placed a post it note on the page to remind me that I'll eventually need to go back.  For example, the instructions say to install the Knighheads and Hawse Timbers before planking the hull. But I think it would be best to plank the hull first prior to following those instructions.  Reasoning is that I'll likely have to turn the model upside down during planking and those additions will cause the ship to sit askew and perhaps end up breaking them off during planking.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

For the newer builders who might someday look at this build log I want to mention that I have tracked my time spent on the Bluenose and I can attest that I have spent 10 hours fairing the hull and I'm still not 100% satisfied.  I didn't do the 10 hours all at once. I sanded, then added shims, then sanded more, and more, up to the point that I sanded out my shims because they weren't necessary but I thought I could perhaps cut some time off.  I learned from my last build that the beginning stages are the most important and deserve extra attention.  Another thing to be careful of is to make sure you don't sand out your rabbet as your fairing the hull. 

I started planking the hull tonight.  I've added the first two rows.  

Because this is going to be a painted hull I have improvised between the two deck levels. It wasn't an easy transition between the two elevations but, again, because this will be filled with wood filler then painted I don't think it will ever be seen.

There really isn't any pictures because there isn't much to show.  I did add a little filler on the waterways because they will get painted anyway.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some progress photos.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Derek - Among the many reasons I really like kits designed by Chuck is how he handles the Rabbit. As I mentioned this was my first build. and when I was cutting the rabbit the first time I went all the way thru to the other side. MS had to send me another keel. Also being my first build I wasn't sure how deep to make the cut. and I also use the same clamp you do and it was very weak.

I have another suggestion for you. Some years ago someone showed me his hull "clamp". He took a large sock. Like a hiking sock that was almost knee high. He filled it with rice. and then used a zip tie to close the end. As you can tell this was a very expensive tool and if you create a pair of them you can get it to just about any shape you want. The Admiral will be very happy you did not take one of her pillows and impressed how frugal you are.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Thanks for the comments Fnkershner, very good idea.  But I was going to post tonight that I was wrong about the clamp that I have.  I absolutely love it for planking.  I just had the ship installed upside down.  With it installed the correct way, it is stable and great that you can pose it any any angle. I'm continuing with the planking, nothing really special to report.  Here is a couple of pics.

20170310_185627_resized.thumb.jpg.640f47c7600707bb025aa2452ad4d123.jpg20170310_185708_resized.thumb.jpg.57f838d49b02e0656ade731d1fa5a55e.jpg20170310_192632_resized.thumb.jpg.b4592e077ca4e237f063f618039fffec.jpg

Whoever thought of turning binder clips into planking clamps needs to have a ticker taper parade down New York City.  Fantastic idea. As you can I used one Micro Mark planking clamp because I ran out of binder clips.  They work well too but take a bit to install.

I think planking is going to take a while. 

Members

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Looking like you're making headway. I know what you mean about fairing the hull. I just began mine. Slow going and tender handling. Keep up the good work. I'm enjoying the build. 

Pierre.:10_1_10:

All in all it's pretty relaxing when you just take your time.....

Current build

Santa Maria by MarisStella

Completed

Batelina by MarisStella

Haven't posted in a bit but all I've been doing is working on the hull planking.  I haven't been able to spend a ton of time on the Bluenose, maybe an hour a day, 2 or 3 days a week if that.

i wanted to also mention that the deadeyes that come with the kit are laser cut on the billet.  You have to cut each one out and you have a deadeye that is only 1/16" or so thick. I decided to buy some 4 mm deadeyes from Syren.  Wow, these are nice, they come in three pieces, but assembly is simple.  They are a lot thicker and you end up with a groove in the middle of them.  Very impressed.20170317-_DSC9757.thumb.jpg.9fe4cbb04cf346d831de0a74383ee215.jpg

That loose plank under the clamp is there to remind me that I have already cut and fit the final extension plank to finish that row.  I didn't have time to install it today.

20170317-_DSC9759.thumb.jpg.d7d597c8e9465d27bd011d8510861676.jpg

20170317-_DSC9762.thumb.jpg.295541be3545a30c8121c305890c212e.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Looks Derek, two - three hours a day a couple times a week all adds up, keep having fun

11 hours ago, DaddyWhale said:

Nice work on the planking, Derek!  I'm working on the same build, also doing the planking.  How did you get the planks to fit together so nicely at the stern where the stern blocks are very curved?  Did you bevel the planks along the long edges?

Thanks,

Rabi

Hi Rabi, So far I haven't had to do any beveling.  The planks fall nicely into place with very little force if any.  The practicum I use as reference suggests you can lay about 18 rows without any beveling.

Why can't I find your build log?

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

3 hours ago, Worldway said:

Hi Rabi, So far I haven't had to do any beveling.  The planks fall nicely into place with very little force if any.  The practicum I use as reference suggests you can lay about 18 rows without any beveling.

Why can't I find your build log?

Thanks.  It looks really good.  About my build log:  it's on another forum.

Best,

Rabi