Bluenose by Worldway - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

Derek - Jack just said it all better than I can. I can only add that if you do everything as he has mentioned and then add a coat of Wipe On Poly you should be good.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Derek,

In addition to the above, I recommend using Microscale decal products to set the decal in place, then covering the decal with either Microscale Gloss or Flat or Testors Dulcote spray before you cover it with Wipe-on-Poly.  Not sure how the Poly will affect the decal if it is applied directly over the decal.  I find it the Microscale products make the decal conform to the surface better and they seal the decal well. Works the same on wood as it does on plastic - the decals on my plastic Armor models have held up well for over 20 years.  One other thing the decals go on best over a glossy surface, so I use the Microscale Gloss to cover the area where the decal is to be placed, then after that dries, apply the decal.

• 4 weeks later...

So after a break from the Bluenose I decided to continue the build.  The Admiral bought me a bench height chair which makes life a lot more pleasant.

20180106_190412_resized.thumb.jpg.156d0e6b501332a238ee5b84298a105d.jpg

I continued adding the false timbers on the aft deck, pegging every one.  Hopefully this will resolve my issues.  I will also take the advise from Jon and bend the planks before I install them.

20180109_175957_resized.thumb.jpg.01c04c84e50be2e8ba53ea53021d667d.jpg

20180109_193536_resized.thumb.jpg.b67651c0dec954f0e91526166cce06e3.jpg

20180109_195101_resized.thumb.jpg.9d5a05ae45c74d7e0ba92f000ce080cd.jpg

20180109_185249_resized.jpg

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Repetitive work adding all those timbers!  I like the appearance they create.  Don’t you find the detail such things add really important to the model?

I like your Bluenose Derek!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Fantastic job! Straight and even.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Yes, fantastic job for sure. I'm at the point of adding the false timbers and it's making me want to forget about the project and dump the kit into the bin, so you are helping me get past that and give it another try. Just not sure how you get the pins and holes in the deck to line up?  I also might need some therapy.

Edited by Doug James

Great to have those false timbers finished. I think you'll find that the biggest challenge of this build is now behind you.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

I installed the fore deck planking.  I used the same method as previous to cut in the scuppers.  It's a lot of work for very little visual appearance.  Hopefully, after painting they will stand out more.  It seems the false frame timbers were cut a little long and each will have to be trimmed.  I'm trying to think of the best way to trim them20180110_182942_resized.thumb.jpg.dd77b67dc4b9664e218af08099253086.jpg20180110_183510_resized.thumb.jpg.5e19a736d05a38f0c1cbf0e79b9304ff.jpg20180111_184952_resized.thumb.jpg.09fcc1c3759736296be2cfb81bccfec1.jpg20180111_190054_resized.thumb.jpg.1e23dc0e75ce978d8c02f521861d6e68.jpg20180112_190208_resized.thumb.jpg.3652aa196f7af55368d656f5ef3ea601.jpg

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

5 minutes ago, Worldway said:

It's a lot of work for very little visual appearance.

You'll look at it more often than anyone else.

I never thought of using rubber bands

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

And the planking continues and cutting in a crap load of scuppers.  I temporarily installed the plank and laid out the scuppers which i then cut in.  However, they weren't exactly in line with the false frame timbers.  I think however though that this detail will be better appreciated looking at the exterior of the ship and don't think the error will be that obvious.

20180114_185353_resized.thumb.jpg.998295d5e2c33615e15e033b8e6cc46f.jpg

The plans called for using a 1/16" thick plank for the first row of planking.  However, I found the plank stood proud of the edge of the hull.  Once the glue has cured I will take my mini plane to it to reduce the thickness to match the rest of the hull.

20180114_185400_resized.thumb.jpg.a913f9c4a4351420771799ce79e2d23d.jpg

On each side I cut the plank a little short.  I used a piece of plank fitted on edge to fill in the gap.  Once painted, you will never know.

20180114_190049_resized.thumb.jpg.1e755d1ea9cec9293717044fbb046994.jpg

This is the repair on the opposite side.

20180114_190039_resized.thumb.jpg.f0d9fa9ea9b01fed666085b1101815c9.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

3 minutes ago, Worldway said:

don't think the error will be that obvious

Since I can't see it...

In Dry Dock:

lol Steve, but remember you're still flying foam planes.:)

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I finished the planking and wanted to add the Knightsheads and Hawse Timbers.  The plans said you could build it "proper" or you could simply use a solid sheet.  It calls for 1/8" thick sheet and, from measuring off the drawings, I saw that it had to be 1 7/8" long by approximately 3/8" high.  I had nothing that came close to those dimensions.  I did however have a block 3/8" x 3/8".  I cut it to length and luckily enough it fit inside my miter box.  So I used it to cut two boards 1/8" thick.

20180116_181943_resized.thumb.jpg.626d8f2062cd11881d059caad8ea4c1e.jpg20180116_182304_resized.thumb.jpg.226317008e9d8070f0b48433920d0977.jpg

It actually worked out well.  I then installed them using a 1/4" dowel (which is the size of the bowsprit) as a spacer.

20180116_184551_resized.thumb.jpg.0005f4172c5bac1ce99d44f9b605ee48.jpg

20180116_193656_resized.thumb.jpg.2144bbf732d881f90027364437d9420f.jpg

Then, using my Dremel with a sanding disc I ground down the false frame timbers to match the top of the planks

20180116_193647_resized.thumb.jpg.064fe7fe32c984ae3bb5d3a8f01b4d1b.jpg

Next step was to add the chafe block.  I cut two pieces to length and installed them.

20180117_183857_resized.thumb.jpg.aa1694a77662daed9f1b02833e80e0a8.jpg

I have now started some of the painting.  I masked off the quarter deck and painted the outer planks a buff colour (the drawings specify either gray or buff).

20180117_183906_resized.thumb.jpg.b59d8d652e4123afbff26050b307da1c.jpg

I'm trying to get up the nerve to airbrush the hull.  I'm not sure what approach I will take yet.  I have paints for the airbrush but may end up picking up some spray paint.  I'll let you know in the near future.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I'm still impressed. Looking forward to the stern. I mean watching you do it.

In Dry Dock:

I'm putting this kit on hold for a couple of months.  I am at the painting stage and need to paint the hull however, I'm working indoors with no ventilation and want to spray the hull.  I'll have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit so I can spray in my garage or even better, outdoors.  I'll be back. 

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I coulda painted outside today, but I'm still sanding. Beautiful weather not-with-standing, my problem will be dust. We're at 80 foot above sea level.

I'll be waiting with baited breath.

Edited by JustBlowingInTheWind
Addendum

In Dry Dock:

Derek, 

When I have been airbrushing, Bluenose as my first one, I used acrylic based paint.

Doing so, I noticed there is no need of ventilation.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks Per, didn't realize that but, like you, I have acrylic paint as well.  Perhaps I'll carry on then.

Wow, you just threw me a curve ball.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Glad t see you;ll peruse my passion,

In Dry Dock:

I spent an hour masking the quarter deck port side so I could paint the bulwark planks. What a nightmare.  I had a ton of bleed through.  I'll have to repaint.  Boy this is frustrating.  A ton of repetition and it isn't going well which makes it double the effort.  Oh well, just another day in the life.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

What's that saying? Measure twice, cut once? Whoever said that never built a model ship.

In Dry Dock:

Hi Derek,

What kind of tape are you using?

David

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Hi David,

1xNew Washi Paper Masking Tape Painters Protection Tape Painting Supplies DIY LH 

It's Washi masking tape that I ordered on Ebay.  It came highly recommended on this site and said it was comparable to Tamiya masking tape.  I think the problem really lies trying to get the tape tight to the surface in such a confined space.  I've used this tape in other areas and it performed well.  Just more rework, that's all :default_wallbash:

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I've had success with electricians tape.

In Dry Dock:

Hi Derek,

I'm not familiar with Washi tape, but going by your picture, it looks very much like Tamiya, which is what I use. If it's worked well for you before, then likely as you say it's just a matter of more burnishing once it's applied.

Quite by accident I found the ideal burnishing tool. It's a pick from an old set of nut cracker and picks. I thought it might be useful as a pick, but it's too blunt to be of much use, but the back side is somewhat spoon-like and it works beautifully as a burnishing tool.

The last time I bought Tamiya tape, the guy at the store asked me if I used the special dispenser for it. The tone of his question implied that I should answer 'yes' if I wanted to retain any degree of credibility, so I said 'yes', even though I don't actually have one. He said that if the tape is laying around it will pick up dirt on its edges and it will affect the outcome. I've never had a problem with this, but I suppose it's possible.

Did you see the post today by Nic from Blue Jacket? He was dealing with the same problem as you on the hull of a model he's working on.

David

Hi Brian, I can understand how electrical tape could work but what about residue once removed. It seems to be pretty gummy.

David, I'll check out Nic's post, I haven't seen it yet.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

A lot depends on the paint you're covering with the tape. When ever possible I'll used model masters acrylic paints. Once that stuff is dry I'll take a little rubbing alcohol to it.

It's one of those, try before you buy. The longer the tape stays in warmth, the more gue it leaves behind.

In Dry Dock:

• 1 month later...

I went back to the Bluenose today and had a closer look at it.  It turns out the bleed through wasn't as bad as I originally thought.  Apparently the masking tape didn't fully come off.  Once I removed the rest of the masking tape there was very little bleed through.

20180225_125546_resized.thumb.jpg.dbb84c3287f5a9b583e6c061ce94af91.jpg

20180225_135746_resized.thumb.jpg.877e1970279c124c1144c1478f14b15d.jpg

So I masked the opposite side and painted it.

20180225_135756_resized.thumb.jpg.6399d92cba4f85371c9518992a7aa254.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds