Rigging of a 6 pounder French cannon of the 17th century

My build of Le Cerf is nearing the phase when I have to start rigging the ship's cannons. There are 16 pcs 6 pounders and 2 pcs 8 pounders on the deck, but unfortunately the plans lack completely their rigging. Because of this I wonder if any of you might give me a link or tutorial to show how these are rigged in the correct way.

You have to rig your cannons as in this photo to the reserve of only one tackle in the back.

The dimensions of the elements are as follows (guns of 6 / guns of 8), real dimensions to scale for your model

- single and double block: 175mm/200 mm

- rope of tackle: diameter: 17mm/20 mm

- breeching: diameter : 32mm/47 mm

art3.jpg

GD

• 3 weeks later...

I have never before seen a breeching rope that goes through the gun carriage rather than round the cascabel.  How common was this?  The wear rate must have been terrific.

John

Past Builds:
Diorama, Washington & Philadelphia - 1776.  1:144 scale scratch build

Sir Edward Hawke - Schooner, 1776.  1:72 scale scratch build from H Hahn plans

Matthew - 1497.  1:25 scale scratch build from Colin Mudie plans

Mediterranean Cog - 1343.  1:40 scale scratch build from Xavier Pastor plans

Nonsuch - 1650.  1:32 scale Aeropiccola kit

Caustic - gunboat, 1776 . 1:36 scale scratch build

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Very common on the French ships.  I'm not sure why but that seems to be the way they did it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I too am surprised about the breaching rope.   What is the purpose of the cascabel if not to secure the breaching rope.  I do not think that it can add to the strength of the barrel.  Does anyone know?

Phil Roach

Former Director, Nautical Research Guild

Member Shipmodeler's Guild Southwest Florida

I presume the cascabel was there as the same/similar cannons were used by the army and fortifications?  Then again... dont-know.gif.a4de48c86c41b45fdd9321b485755d2d.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello,

In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries and probably before, in France, the cannons were all rigged in this way. The breeching passes through the gun carriage.

The through holes are worked accordingly by rounding the edges.

GD

Thank you, Georges.  I am a great fan of ANCRE and your group, so I am sure that you are correct.  I'm just surprised that I had never seen this before.  

Entirely my own fault - I have had a copy of "The 74 Gun Ship" since soon after it was published, and there it is - clearly shown in Fig.197 - but I had never noticed its significance. 

John

Past Builds:
Diorama, Washington & Philadelphia - 1776.  1:144 scale scratch build

Sir Edward Hawke - Schooner, 1776.  1:72 scale scratch build from H Hahn plans

Matthew - 1497.  1:25 scale scratch build from Colin Mudie plans

Mediterranean Cog - 1343.  1:40 scale scratch build from Xavier Pastor plans

Nonsuch - 1650.  1:32 scale Aeropiccola kit

Caustic - gunboat, 1776 . 1:36 scale scratch build

Member of the Nautical Research Guild