Common blocks & the like for 1:64 scale ships

Hello out there!

I am currently living in an apartment where room is scarce and build space is almost non existent, but I have a space to set up my mill. I am planning on building a ship in 1:64 scale once I move after graduation, probably the Syren. I wanted to know what the typical sizes of blocks, deadeyes, etc are so that I can make a bunch out of some spare boxwood I have laying around in the meantime. I figure that it will save me some cost on my next build(s) by making them myself, not to mention I will know that they were my blocks and get some satisfaction from that later on. If you guys could chime in on what size blocks and the like I should mass produce, I would appreciate it. If you also have information on the dimensions of them, like a diagram of the layout or the like, that would save me a little time as well, but that is information that I'm sure I can find somewhere on my own.

Any information would be greatly appreciated and would get me back into doing what little I can related to model ship building in my current place. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Max

-Max

"We should not moor a ship with one anchor, nor our life with one hope."

Current Build: Benjamin Latham, Model Shipways

On Hold:  Pilot Boat Phantom, Model Shipways

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff, Midwest;  The Dinghy, Midwest;  Sharpie Schooner, Midwest

I've build three ships 1/78 1/35 1/50 and from what I can tell from a kit perspective there all pretty Simaler small medium and large and pretty much same with rigging

Perhaps try purchasing a small amount of a kit size to copy

Edited by Steve 12345

Max - try going to the Model Expo site. Most of their kits are 1:64. If you drill down to the kit pages you can actually download the materials list for some of the models. That would give you sizes and counts.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Max,

The Syren uses 3.5mm and 2.5mm deadeyes according to my instructions. Haven't used them yet to verify what instructions say

Doug

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Instructions are all on the model expo site

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Thanks for the quick responses this! I'm aware that I can find the parts lists for their kits, but was under the impression that they are typically oversized in kits or they will put 20 of one size instead of 15 of that size and 5 of a slightly smaller size, for example.

-Max

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff, Midwest;  The Dinghy, Midwest;  Sharpie Schooner, Midwest

Kit blocks (in my very limited experience) are definitely oversized in general (especially the small blocks like gun tackle), which means it will be difficult to find an accurate sizing for replacement blocks that are more in scale.

My system was a pretty simple 'that looks good' measuring system, starting with the size of the kit block and then going down until it just looked right.

Unfortunately there isn't a good way to do that in advance of the rigging stage on the model, so other than looking at completed builds of the Syren and 'guesstimating', your best bet might be to send a message to Chuck and ask him about it, since he designed the Syren.

The list of blocks and sizes are correct for syren....you can use the materials list.  But yes,  when you see a 3/32" block called for, that is the correct size.  The problem is that what the kit gives you for a 3/32" block is closer to a 1/8" block.   So its not the list that is incorrect but the product that is supplied.  You will be safe making the block sizes called for in the materials list.

Chuck

Thanks for the responses! I know how to convert scale, but guess I don't really know where to find sizing of the original rigging components to scale down.

@Chuck: would you say that most model expo kits show accurate sizing of blocks in the materials lists? Or should I only trust the ones you have worked on?

Thanks again!

-Max

I am not really sure as I havent built them all but those I have worked on were OK.   Its just that all MFGs of commercial blocks in kits come from Europe.   They are metric so the sizes are off from the start when looking at an MS kit.  So when you build an American ship or an English one where the plans show the blocks the correct size...you get whatever the closest MM metric block made in Europe.  So if it calls for 3/32" you will get a 2.5 mm block.   Which was made slightly bigger as well and not even 2.5mm. 

If a block called for should be 1/8" long on the plans you will get a 3.5mm European made block which is too large....etc.  Its not intentional when they are placed in kits but there is only two suppliers of those square blocks from europe (as I was told) and all of the kit MFG's buy from them.  So they have to use the closest equivalent metric size no matter what the plans call for.

Max:

I have bought blocks from Chuck and can vouch for them.

The quality of his are outstanding and is the only ones for me with future builds.

Edit: Chucks rigging line is also something you should consider.

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Chuck, thanks for the input.  That makes complete sense, I hadn't realized that.  

Per, I agree with you about Chuck's products.  I bought some blocks and line from chuck for my Phantom, although I haven't gotten to too much of the rigging, only rigging the deadeyes and a few blocks, but they were very high quality from what I could tell.  I just figured that I could save a little cash and get a bit of a modelling fix by making my own since I have the tools to make them now.  I will compare them to Chuck's blocks to see if the quality of my home made ones is acceptable.

-Max

My longboat is using blocks and rigging line from Chuck.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry