James H

Upgrade status

225 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Our upgrade IS complete, but at this moment, the software is still reconciling itself with the old database that was converted. As a result, the site is actually rebuilding content.

This could mean that:

1. Photos are missing
  2. Settings may not be correct (signatures etc)
  3. Options might not yet show in some instances

We know about this, so please don't keep asking where photos are etc. We are aware of what the rebuild is currently doing, and we are also still tinkering with other settings, and having to keep posting the same answers to the same questions is taking us away from that task.

All we can say is please be patient and use the site as you normally would... i.e. posting builds etc.

Hi Jim, I am concerned that I can't find my Pegasus build log, is this to be expected?it was there when 1 first logged in but now seems to have disappeared. is it still recoverable from the old database.

Hope you can help

B.E.

Canute and Martin W like this

3 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

Hi Jim, I am concerned that I can't find my Pegasus build log, is this to be expected?it was there when 1 first logged in but now seems to have disappeared. is it still recoverable from the old database.

Hope you can help

B.E.

Do you mean this? http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/783-pickle-by-blue-ensign-finished-caldercraft-164-scale-pob-kit/

Canute likes this

No, I'm referring to my current major build log HMS Pegasus which has been running since 2013 and is 100+ pages.

Canute likes this

5 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

No, I'm referring to my current major build log HMS Pegasus which has been running since 2013 and is 100+ pages.

This is likely because the site is still rebuilding.

Canute likes this

If you click on my build beneath my signature it says it cannot be located and there is a problem, contact us.

I have a bad feeling about this, unless you have it backed up.

Canute and Martin W like this

Just now, Blue Ensign said:

If you click on my build beneath my signature it says it cannot be located and there is a problem, contact us.

I have a bad feeling about this, unless you have it backed up.

We really do need to wait until after the system has rebuilt! 

No data was lost....it is all there. The system's inability to index stuff properly is because of the rebuild. See what I mean? These haven't even begun to fix yet...

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 20.24.53.jpg

coxswain, Canute and Nirvana like this

If topics and posts aren't indexed, it means that either direct searches will fail, or indeed physical links. We still envisage a good number of hours before all data is working as it should.

Blue Ensign, Canute and Nirvana like this

And please dont forget to adjust your signature....and other things if need be.

Once again,  click the drop-down on top of the page which is your name.   Select "account settings" .  There you will find your signature and your profile to adjust if need be.

Click the globe to the right of your name which is your notifications....you will see "notification settings".  Adjust those if need be because of the many new features.  Everything may have reverted to defaults after the upgrade.

And finally....just nose around up there to get familiar with it all.   

Also select the theme or look for the site that you like best.  You can do this at the very bottom of the page....click on Theme.   You can also adjust the theme you choose by selecting the paint brush after you choose one.

Let me know if you have any questions...

PeteB, Nirvana, CaptainSteve and 1 other like this

Hmm...  I don't see the "themes" but I'll be patient.  

BTW, can we have a link to the article database on the front page?  Just listing the NRG site like before was fine, but most members never saw the database.

Canute, toms10, Jack12477 and 2 others like this

What happened to the extremely convenient My Content link when I click on my username? It showed activity in any thread I'd started or in which I'd commented. How do I find those now?

Otherwise it looks great Chuck.

Cathead, Martin W and Nirvana like this

still there ......but under ACTIVITY in the menu with lots of other stuff.   Just poke around a bit.  Yes its different than before but its better and all there !!!

Nirvana and mtaylor like this

Ok first I think I just answered my question, if I go to my profile there's a button on the right that says See My Activity, that seems to be doing more or less the same thing as the old My Content link, except it seems to have forgotten what I've done previously.

One other oddity, I came back here to provide the answer above, when I click on the reply window it came up with the previous message I'd posited still in the text box.

mtaylor and Jack12477 like this

you dont have to go to your profile.......just poke around the menu at the top.....

Browse....activity....gallery.....etc.

mtaylor and Nirvana like this

FYI....so I dont get any more questions about this.   BUt signatures are no longer view-able in private messages.   I am inquiring if there is a way to turn them on or if it is no longer an option.

Chuck, can the font color for the links (e.g. theme) be changed? I'm using the default theme and the white letters on manila/yellow is unreadable ,, in fact all the type across the bottom of the page is pretty much unreadable against the manila background color.

mtaylor and Nirvana like this

Yes its on the list.....but rather than wait to open the site until every little thing was perfect we opened it now.  Those small details and many many others will be taken care of over  the next few days.   So please give us some time to do those things.   MOst of what you see is a manual coding change.....its slow going.   But wee will get there.  

Nirvana, PeteB, Heronguy and 6 others like this

For now however....click on the paint brush thingy in your menu and select a darker image or different background.  I like the third choice as its darker and the text shows up.

Nirvana and mtaylor like this

Just want to say thanks for all the work you folks are putting into this, especially under difficult circumstances. I'm sure you're going to be harassed for weeks (or months) by users asking the same questions as we all adjust to the new system, and I appreciate what that's like on top of all your normal responsibilities.

We now have a few tools in the editor bar like additional fonts and a few other goodies.  I am getting a bit tired now though so I may call it the day on this upgrade tweaking.

mtaylor, Jack12477, Nirvana and 1 other like this

You guys did an amazing job with the update.  I especially appreciate the fact that you took the forum offline again to finish some minor tweaks.  I was a moderator on another site a few years ago and can really appreciate what you guys/gals have gone through in the last 24 hours.  

Love the new look.

6 hours ago, James H said:

Hi all,

Our upgrade IS complete, but at this moment, the software is still reconciling itself with the old database that was converted. As a result, the site is actually rebuilding content.

This could mean that:

1. Photos are missing
  2. Settings may not be correct (signatures etc)
  3. Options might not yet show in some instances

We know about this, so please don't keep asking where photos are etc. We are aware of what the rebuild is currently doing, and we are also still tinkering with other settings, and having to keep posting the same answers to the same questions is taking us away from that task.

All we can say is please be patient and use the site as you normally would... i.e. posting builds etc.

I feel your pain James. I've been thru a few (well more than a few) upgrades like this - I do IT for a living. Keep it up, things will smooth out. :)

Chuck, PeteB, mtaylor and 2 others like this