James H

Upgrade status

225 posts in this topic

Still learning my way around, but the desktop site and themes are ok, if a tad over sized for my taste (for definition of dinosaur, ask for my bio.  I miss the days when websites had a text only option...but I digress).

Query: new themes are horrible on smart phones.  Prior iteration had a mobile or could choose full version.  can't find now.  Any changes are across all devices (sign in related?) rather than device dependent.  Any thoughts on mobile theme/version?

Many thanks.

Canute, mtaylor and CaptainSteve like this

Looking good now guys, thanks for staying with all the endless configurations. Trust me I know all about those. Nice job!

Canute and mtaylor like this

Oh but one more, sorry :)I see the clear content function in the text buffer, but text is staying after you post it, and that doesn't make sense. Look for a flag called "Auto clear on post" or something like that.

1 hour ago, Don9of11 said:

With this new upgrade will we get email notifications now? Just curious.

That has nothing to do with our software. 

It is purely that some ISPs act like divorced couples after a multi-million dollar alimony case....they don't like talking to each other.

Canute, trippwj, Jack12477 and 1 other like this

I like the new version of the forum.  I'm enjoying the Engraved theme.  One thing I've noticed with the new version is that the text line spacing when typing a paragraph appears noticeably greater than it was in the previous forum version.  Also, the text lines typed before the forum changeover have this extra spacing.  Is this something that is possible to tighten up a bit?  Also, it may be what is contributing to everyone's signature line being less compressed.

Erik

Also, is it possible to make the default text a little larger?  We are not a young audience, by and large.

1 hour ago, tlevine said:

I have started getting email notifications for the first time in two years with the upgrade.

That will be because of default settings only.

mtaylor and Canute like this

39 minutes ago, Erik W said:

I like the new version of the forum.  I'm enjoying the Engraved theme.  One thing I've noticed with the new version is that the text line spacing when typing a paragraph appears noticeably greater than it was in the previous forum version.  Also, the text lines typed before the forum changeover have this extra spacing.  Is this something that is possible to tighten up a bit?  Also, it may be what is contributing to everyone's signature line being less compressed.

Erik

Yes, we know about this. It's being discussed somewhere on this topic, I think. I can't do much about the original content, and members will have to tidy up their sigs.

3 minutes ago, Chuck Seiler said:

Also, is it possible to make the default text a little larger?  We are not a young audience, by and large.

It is, but I'm reluctant too. 

You can always increase the page size on your browser, to suit your own particular needs.

mtaylor, Canute and src like this

Great work on the new forum! i wonderful work is so much appreciated, and the new interface is so user friendly!

make you want to stay logged on constantly.. 

David

19 minutes ago, James H said:

Yes, we know about this. It's being discussed somewhere on this topic, I think. I can't do much about the original content, and members will have to tidy up their sigs.

Don't wanna use the css mod?

Dirk

Thanks for the reply James.  I appreciate all the effort you guys are putting into this upgrade . . . and for dealing with us folks in the peanut gallery!

Erik

mtaylor, Jack12477 and Canute like this

Just now, Dubz said:

Don't wanna use the css mod?

Dirk

I'd love to Dirk, but as you may understand, I can't simply let non-staff into the control panel of MSW. If you want to discuss this further, please contact Chuck.

7 hours ago, James H said:

That has nothing to do with our software. 

It is purely that some ISPs act like divorced couples after a multi-million dollar alimony case....they don't like talking to each other.

Hmm... maybe you should like... make nice with the ex or something :)  No worries,  like I said, I was just curious. 

Just now, Don9of11 said:

Hmm... maybe you should like... make nice with the ex or something :)  No worries,  like I said, I was just curious. 

This usually means sending many dozens of emails to these ISPs and requesting the connection be re-made. I don't think any of these have ever worked out, despite filling out forms etc. It's like they want to waste your time. 

I like the new format,a good job well done by the Admin and Mods. Just one question though. What is the significance of the Members total reputation count ? Is it tied to the number of posts an individual has made ? Just curious that's all.

Regards,

Dave :dancetl6:

Just now, davyboy said:

I like the new format,a good job well done by the Admin and Mods. Just one question though. What is the significance of the Members total reputation count ? Is it tied to the number of posts an individual has made ? Just curious that's all.

Regards,

Dave :dancetl6:

If you click Like on a post, it gives the poster a point. Something similar existed on the previous format, and these were carried over to the new version. 

Canute, davyboy and mtaylor like this

A question from a computer dummy(me). How do I edit(remove unwanted items)my signature.

Mark

Canute likes this

12 minutes ago, marktiedens said:

A question from a computer dummy(me). How do I edit(remove unwanted items)my signature.

Mark

Hope this helps ;)

signature.png

Canute and marktiedens like this

I had gotten to the settings screen ok,but I don`t see how to delete some of the lines. I am trying to remove all the lines except for my current build.

Mark

A belated thankyou to all concerned in updating the site; there has been a lot of terrific work put into this and we all appreciate it.  I have deliberately left my post of appreciation a little longer as I wanted to see the site in operation after bedding down before commenting.

The functionality is all there with some nice new additions, and appears a little faster for some operations.  The only area of concern I have is one that has been mentioned once or twice already.  VISIBILITY or ONSCREEN readability.  Some of the themes look great but are very distracting for reading the text.  As Chuck S pointed out, a great majority of this membership are in the senior/more mature stage of life and I for one, find the modern themes of paler/less distinct default text harder to read on screen.  I don't want to enlarge/zoom the screen as that entails less on screen, not only in this site, but other sites I visit.  is it possible to have a basic theme with darker lettering (more contrast), clearer indications of links (different colour) and minimal visual distraction?  OR better still, is it possible for us to change the default font size and make the colour black/darker within our profile/posting options (even if limited to say a max font size of xx)

I very much appreciate all the effort that went into this, and I was very reluctant to raise this point for want of someone thinking I am just whining (and it probably is :)) but I end up with a headache reading the posts in the new themes.  Even the blue background one is harder to read than for the old themes we had.  Can we please have an option to control the darkness of the text on screen?  I realise I can change the text colour in the font colour options of each post I make, but this would be simpler if I could set it as a default - and, more importantly, does not address all the hard to read posts using the default theme font colour.  I have poked around in the options, but yet to find a theme that makes onscreen reading easier (with no headaches)

That said, again, I wish to thank the people whom have developed and rolled this out; a lot of work which often is not appreciated.   I for one salute your efforts and commitment; and, I realise it is very easy for us to sit-back and nit-pick, but I do hope that constructive feedback is considered a positive thing.

cheers

Pat

Chuck Seiler, Anja, Cathead and 5 others like this

Thanks Pat.

Have you tried the "elegent" theme?  That one has no images and you can select any color for the back ground.   I find it easiest to read.  Try it out if you havent already.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, i have tried them all, but it seems that all of the themes want to use a washed out font which is the real issue; and makes the text hard to read on screen.  This seems a modern trend in all printing; modern graphic design/print design does not seem to worry/ be concerned about contrast or ease of reading these days, just as long as the colours look pretty.  Fine for young eyes but... :)

Is it possible to be able to change the font colour also?    These washed out colours and less obvious links etc are really difficult on the eye.

cheers

Pat

We just brought on a new guy ;)  I will get him right on it.....Seriously though I will take a look.

Canute and Jack12477 like this

Ok I made the text larger.......and I unfaded it.  It should be darker and easier to read......

But did I make it too large???

src, Canute, mtaylor and 2 others like this

Great work guys. Slicking new themes and love the new features, especially the way paginification works.

'Location' needs a colon and space after it on the user post ID panel.

Canute, trippwj and mtaylor like this