SS Mariefred by captainbob - 1:96

Great start Bob, I will be following along, By making the waterline level it would also help with painting the hull before removing from the build board I would emagine.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Bob,

Are you going try to simulate the sheets of steel on her?

Or do you think the scale is to small for such adventure?

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

19 hours ago, michael mott said:

Great start Bob, I will be following along, By making the waterline level it would also help with painting the hull before removing from the build board I would emagine.

Michael

That's what I like about this forum.  I always remove the hull and then have trouble holding it to draw the water line.  Thanks Michael.

19 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Bob,

Are you going try to simulate the sheets of steel on her?

Or do you think the scale is to small for such adventure?

Although Nils' boats are bigger the scale is smaller, so I know it can be done.  I have the material, so I might try.

Bob 

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

glad to see you've started on your next masterpiece........looks like a very interesting project.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

There are a lot of you how said you are familiar with the Mariefred and offered to help if I had a problem. This has to do with the drawing not the boat, but I need help. There is a mark that looks like a strange "Z" on one of the drawings.   I think it is for millimeters but I'm not sure.  I have circled several of these symbols on the drawing below.

Bob

58bf8262308eb_SR454_test.thumb.jpg.b2b16fc0e8dc77f8fc55c090d203aa01.jpg

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

CaptainBob,

Where you read "spantdistans", means distance between bulkheads - so right there is a measurement.

That "Z" is an old version of todays mm

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Bob

Here it is.

mariefred.thumb.jpg.55b6cdf1679c79cf078f0757eb119af8.jpg

Respectfully

12 hours ago, Nirvana said:

CaptainBob,

That "Z" is an old version of todays mm

That's what I thought but it helps to be sure.  Thanks.

Bob

13 hours ago, captainbob said:

There are a lot of you how said you are familiar with the Mariefred and offered to help if I had a problem. This has to do with the drawing not the boat, but I need help. There is a mark that looks like a strange "Z" on one of the drawings.   I think it is for millimeters but I'm not sure.  I have circled several of these symbols on the drawing below.

Bob

58bf8262308eb_SR454_test.thumb.jpg.b2b16fc0e8dc77f8fc55c090d203aa01.jpg

Wow !

interesting details on the drawing Bob,  ;)

I think it realy pays off to get copies of the the original drwg from the source you mentioned....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hello Bob,

What is nice about this era is that the little ships are so elegant. They actually look like ships unlike the vessels of today. I think she will make a lovely model. 

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Yes Nils, It has a lot of good detail, even shows the metal plating on the hull.  I do have to be careful with the dimensions, most are in MM but some are in inches. 

Thanks, Keith.  There are a lot of lovely boats out there, you just have to find them, and the hope there are plans.

Bob

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:07 PM, captainbob said:

Russ, I believe the main parts of the boat are wood.  But in some pictures such as one picture of the bow the spray guard on top of the rail is dented so it is metal. 

Welcome aboard, Michael and Nils.  I hope this turns out to be another ‘fun build”.

This is a picture dated 1903.  I will try to build to this time.

Bob

Bobmariefred_1903_3.thumb.jpg.b3014a169acd7880ba9acdf34a7b00ad.jpg

I like the early years...you can forgo the radar and life raft casings...and stick with period life rings and boats.   Love it.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

I agree the early boat is what I will be going with.

Bob

1.thumb.jpg.4b83b6f3c0f6671bbbe99eac5334a72f.jpg

Bob,

I take it you have done a lot of research before approaching this adventure.

Found another picture of Mariefred dated 1903.

Don't know if you have it or not.

But others following your log, it could be interesting.

mariefred_3.jpg

Respectfully

22 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Bob,

I take it you have done a lot of research before approaching this adventure.

Found another picture of Mariefred dated 1903.

Don't know if you have it or not.

But others following your log, it could be interesting.

mariefred_3.jpg

Thanks Per.  I Think I have found about 25 or 30 pictures of the Mariefred and about the same number of close up detail shots or interiors.  But the one you picked is the way I want to build her.  Most of the pictures are more recent.  You can tell because the boats on top have been replaced with canister inflatables. 

Bob

She is still in service, working daily during the summer. Definitely has its charm!

I was surprised how quick it is for being an old coal-powered ship. Easily keeping up with modern vessels.

I do not remember 100% if the one on the photo is Mariefred or not, because Mariefred typically sails over lake Mälaren to Gripsholm, but this photo is from Stockholm archipelago of the Baltic sea. However, when being on board of Mariefred, it is much faster than expected.

Of course, let me know if you will need to get some photos of it - during the summer it should be easily possible.

IMG_0578.thumb.JPG.33ddceccef07cdc5ce5876f4c2dd59b4.JPG

IMG_0582.thumb.JPG.89af91ceac2483827229d67570e9e32f.JPG

Mike, the pictures you uploaded is of S/S Blidösund, which also is a Steamer.

Edit: She belongs to Waxholms Bolaget, the smoke stack gave it away.  And you are 100 % right,  about Inland traffic with Mariefred and archipelago traffic.

I think it's time to give CaptainBob his build log back. Sorry Bob

Respectfully

Thanks, mike for the offer of help.

I agree Kees.  I love the looks of the turn of the century boats.

Dr. Per, I really don't mind others entering information of my log, as long as it is pertinent to the build.

Bob

Lawrence,  thanks for stopping by.  I wish I were farther along but due to chronic family health problems, I only get to work on the boats, 1 - 2 hours a day, if that.  The rest of the time I'm the care giver, cook, House cleaner and . . .  Enough of that.  The Mariefred is a riveted steel boat.  And I like Nils I hope to plate her, something I've never tried before.  The other problem is figuring out what to use for some of the parts.  The upper deck supports and seating frames are 35 X 35 mm angle iron or 1.38" at scale that is .0138.  I have seen other models where they have used larger material for these parts and they end up looking bulky and out of scale.  Ah well that's the kind of problem all model builders go through.  I know, I'll set up a foundry and extrude my own material.  (Pardon the humor).

Bob

sorry to hear that there are ills in the house.   I hope they get better soon :)    I would imagine you'd want to use plastic.......Plastruct and evergreen has a fine selection of I beams and such.  they also carry a good selection of different moldings as well.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Lawrence, Popeye, Thanks for the well wishes. 

Bob

Hooray,  I finally did it.  Try, try again they say, so I did.  I ended up throwing the first three tries away, but I kept the fourth.  The part is the little deck house on the lower rear deck.  You can just see a part of it in one picture, but luckily the plans are of the boat as built in 1903.  Some time ago the deck house was removed and the rear area of the lower deck was enclosed all the other pictures of the Mariefred show her this way.  I just went back and looked at the pictures I posted earlier and they are all of the more recent boat.  So here is a picture of the Mariefred  as I will be building her.

Bob

2.jpg

DSCF0458.JPG

Sorry to hear about the illness, hope it passes quickly, and you can spend some more time at your bench.

The image with the open rear deck certainly appeals to me more than the enclosed one. I'm looking forward to your progress. With regards to your (I) beams e.a. you do not need a foundry, get some brass sheet and strips and make your own ... smelting makes such a mess ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

sneaky.........you built the hull without showing us  >must review entire log to see<   grand looking structure you have there.........nicely detailed overlay form  ;)    very well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I saw the bulkheads in a row.......then you have made great progress   ;)    recovery must be going well at your house......glad to hear it!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

53 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

sneaky.........you built the hull without showing us  

Hang about!!!!!  I was just thinking the same thing!  Bob, ya gotta stop doing this to us😊.  I know, I know....sometimes it's hard to stop to take photos when it's full steam ahead with the building!

Nevertheless, top job, Bob.  Really, really nice.

Cheers

Patrick

7 hours ago, cog said:

... smelting makes such a mess ...

Besides that, "She who must be obeyed," would make me go into the desert to do it.

Bob