SS Mariefred by captainbob - 1:96

Lawrence said:

I am pleased that you have decided to build the earlier version of the SS Mariefred as she seams to have mush more cartier  and charm over the newer more modern version.

My work on the HMS Bounty is coming to a close very fast, it dose surprise me just how fast it is going.

Regards   Lawrence

Thanks, Lawrence.  I had to build her as she was built.  I like the turn of the twentieth century boats so much better.  Just had a thought, since you are winding down on the HMS Bounty, Can I hire your "little guys" to help me with some of the small parts?  Sure would be nice.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

sneaky.........you built the hull without showing us  >must review entire log to see<   grand looking structure you have there.........nicely detailed overlay form  ;)    very well done!

Sorry, I get carried away with the build and forget to take pictures. 

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

OK! I didn't show you the building of the hull.  I'm terrible at building hulls.  I cut out the bulkhead forms and throw unshaped strips of wood on it and end up filling in a football shaper area with smaller and smaller sticks.  Then I sand all the boards that are not laying flat, which are most.  I then fill all the cracks with Elmer's wood filler, sand again, fill again, sand again, fill again, etc., etc.   I am not proud of my hulls and it is definitely not the way I see everyone else doing it.  So I paint my hulls to cover up the mess. 

Now did you really want to see all that?

Bob

I am not proud of my hulls and it is definitely not the way I see everyone else doing it.  So I paint my hulls to cover up the mess. 

Now did you really want to see all that?

Actually, I do the same thing, so I don't need to see it; I know how to do that already. Press on...

Tom

your probably right Bob........I think you covered the way I do my hulls well enough :D  :D    

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi, Tom and Popeye, Glad you understand.  I keep saying, "Next time I'll . . ." and then I do the same thing over.  Ah well,  It's amazing what paint will cover.

Bob 

Thanks, I guess,  Lawrence.  These two showed up.  They are the foremen?  Right?

Bob

DSCF0462.JPG

DSCF0463.JPG

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:34 PM, Mike Y said:

Of course, let me know if you will need to get some photos of it - during the summer it should be easily possible.

Mike there is a picture of Mariefred I need.  What is over the windows?  There is an eyebrow, and something under it.  All the pictures I have are taken from too far away, and the drawings just show it as a squiggle.  If you could get a close-up picture I would certainly appreciate it.  I will not need the picture for a month or more, so there's no hurry.

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob,

What part exactly? There are many windows on that ship :) To avoid confusion, it would be nice if you can highlight the relevant part using some other photo.

Is it something on a side or a front of the ship? It is typically moored diagonally, so can't make a photo of the rear part without paying for the entrance ticket.

It is moored in the morning next to the city hall, so should be easy to photo!

dsc_1270.jpg.db5ae30ec324a5e9af08649c80ce2427.jpgss_mariefred.jpg.d0bafab5e29701951392558010e48a7d.jpg

Hi Mike,

Sorry, you are right, there are many windows.  In this picture, it is the lower square windows.  Above the windows there is a curved work of some kind with a design inside of it.  This is the best picture I have been able to find.

Bob

1.jpg.8023b9ecb7e01830a3771dd4187f49d1.jpg

Hi Bob,

nice find for detail !....

I also still need to install these "eyebrows" on my Bohuslän (spoilers to prevent rain- and splashwater rinsing over the window panes)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks, Nils.  I have a lot of work before I get that far but it will be nice to have the information in hand to think about how to make the parts.

Bob

Bob: got it, will photo.

However, seems like we need to wait a bit. Here is the official schedule of SS Mariefred for 2017: Mariefred-tidtabell2017-4.jpg

So the first time it would be available to public is on 27th May. So before that it is probably in some dock somewhere.

I checked the facebook group, no clear info there. But there are some interesting photos and videos! https://sv-se.facebook.com/steamshipmariefred/

While waiting - please check if there are some other areas that you want to check. Especially if there is something that you need that could be only observed onboard - in this case I will need to pay the entrance fee, which is ok, but then I better be a good spy and make all the photos you need! :)

I'll just slip quietly into the back, as unlike many other readers I know nothing helpful, just that this looks like a beautiful and interesting design and I'd like to learn from the build.

Thanks Mike, but don't make an extra trip just to take the picture.  I have a lot of work before I get that far but it will be nice to have the information in hand to think about how to make the parts.

Bob

Welcome aboard, Eric.  I hope you get what you are looking for.

Bob

4 hours ago, Mike Y said:

Bob: got it, will photo.

However, seems like we need to wait a bit. Here is the official schedule of SS Mariefred for 2017: 

So the first time it would be available to public is on 27th May. So before that it is probably in some dock somewhere.

I checked the facebook group, no clear info there. But there are some interesting photos and videos! https://sv-se.facebook.com/steamshipmariefred/

While waiting - please check if there are some other areas that you want to check. Especially if there is something that you need that could be only observed onboard - in this case I will need to pay the entrance fee, which is ok, but then I better be a good spy and make all the photos you need! :)

She's parked on Beckholmen over the winter, if you are downtown someday (I used to stroll there, lots of old vessels to look on). Don't live in Stockholm anymore, so can't go and help out :(

Matle, thanks for the info!

Beckholmen is a bit tricky to stroll, it is mostly docks and just a little bit is open to the public. Or you know the right hole in the fence? :)

I just strolled right in... might have changed since I moved but I got similar responces when I was living there. I think people just don't know about the place, it's a bit of an oasis, only minutes from the busiest areas of the city (this goes for Skeppsholmen too ). As a sidenote, this is where the Stockholm tar came from, the name of the place means "Tar isle". 

It does might be tricky to access the "parking lots" though, as they are usually fenced - but maybe one can get close enough for pics?

Yes, I was on that island a few times, and was impressed by the view on the docks from top of the hill. But, as usual, you can't get to the boats without breaking in.

Though my favourite place is Skeppsholmen, especially its eastern part. Lots of wooden boats and ships, boatbuilding club, blacksmith workshop, smell of tar, drying lumber, etc... Really feels like a shipyard! :)

No, don't go out of your way or break in to the boat yard.  Considering where the details are mounted, I can add them after the rest of the boat is finished.

Bob 

10 hours ago, Mike Y said:

Yes, I was on that island a few times, and was impressed by the view on the docks from top of the hill. But, as usual, you can't get to the boats without breaking in.

Though my favourite place is Skeppsholmen, especially its eastern part. Lots of wooden boats and ships, boatbuilding club, blacksmith workshop, smell of tar, drying lumber, etc... Really feels like a shipyard! :)

Skeppsholmen is an amazing place to wander around. Small cafe's and specially in the spring this area is like an ant stack. There is activities every where.

One can spend a whole day and then realizing you have seen just a small part of it all.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hi all, I finally got a little more done.  The deck is planked, the front and rear walls to the main cabin are up and I finished the little deck house, which was the smoking lounge, it was removed when that deck was enclosed. 

Bob

DSCF0464.JPG

DSCF0467.JPG

looks super Bob.    looks like decorative molding around the windows.........over the top looks like what you would see in older sailing ships  {I forget what they call it}.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

On 27.3.2017 at 8:12 PM, captainbob said:

Hi all, I finally got a little more done.  The deck is planked, the front and rear walls to the main cabin are up and I finished the little deck house, which was the smoking lounge, it was removed when that deck was enclosed. 

Bob

DSCF0464.JPG

DSCF0467.JPG

Hi Bob,

great progress on the aft deck house....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

23 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

top looks like what you would see in older sailing ships  {I forget what they call it}.

looks like is would function as a drip edge to direct water away from the glass.

Look great so far Bob .

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks to all of you.  The curved portion is frequently referred to as an eyebrow.  But under the eyebrow there is some sort of carving.  That's what I'm looking for.

Bob

not sure on the spelling,  but I think they are called  rigols..   probably some design of frieze molding.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks, Popeye.