SS Mariefred by captainbob - 1:96

Mariefred

The coal-fired steamship Mariefred was built in 1903 for the trade-Enhörna Stockholm-Mariefred. She has sailed under the same name and with the same steam engine ever since.  The vessel has been owned by the same shipping company, Gripsholms-Mariefred Ångfartygs AB since 1905. All this makes Mariefred one of the worldwide unique ships and an indispensable part of Sweden's cultural heritage! 

Built at South wharf in Stockholm in 1903. Length 32.84 m, width 6.33 m. Coal-fired steam boiler.  Speed 10 knots.  230 passengers.

1.jpg

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob:

This looks like a very interesting subject. It is great that you actually found the plans for it. I am guessing that there are many photos of it. Was it wood built or steel? Will you model it at a particular point in its career?

Russ

Bob this looks like a must follow build log. She does look very elegant.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

1 hour ago, captainbob said:

Mariefred

The coal-fired steamship Mariefred was built in 1903 for the trade-Enhörna Stockholm-Mariefred. She has sailed under the same name and with the same steam engine ever since.  The vessel has been owned by the same shipping company, Gripsholms-Mariefred Ångfartygs AB since 1905. All this makes Mariefred one of the worldwide unique ships and an indispensable part of Sweden's cultural heritage! 

Built at South wharf in Stockholm in 1903. Length 32.84 m, width 6.33 m. Coal-fired steam boiler.  Speed 10 knots.  230 passengers.

58af22117821f_SSMariefred1.jpg.86ed136648884776963b4a82816bfb1f.jpg

Congrats to this choise Bob,

this ones comprising plenty of details. and you have the individual possibility for fitting her out in scratch-build. A very nice nostalgic passenger steamer. Wish you all the best for your keellaying party and much fun with the build...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Russ, I believe the main parts of the boat are wood.  But in some pictures such as one picture of the bow the spray guard on top of the rail is dented so it is metal. 

Welcome aboard, Michael and Nils.  I hope this turns out to be another ‘fun build”.

This is a picture dated 1903.  I will try to build to this time.

Bob

Bobmariefred_1903_3.thumb.jpg.b3014a169acd7880ba9acdf34a7b00ad.jpg

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Six or seven years ago, my wife and I were visiting Stockholm, and I saw this ship along the pier with steam up.  I walked up the gangway and told them that I volunteered for an organization in the US working to preserve an historic steamship (the SS Meteor) and that I would like to see their engine room.  They said OK.

The power plant is a thing from the past- coal burning boiler hand fired, reciprocating engine with auxiliaries driven from the crosshead.  I don't remember which it was, a compound or a triple.

Unfortunately, she was booked for a private party so we could not take a cruise.  She is very elegant with lots of polished brass and varnished brightwork and should make a handsome model.

There is a whole fleet of these but almost all have been converted to diesel.

Roger

P.S.  I believe that she has an iron or steel hull.o

Edited by Roger Pellett
Added information,Marion

Thank you Roger.  I just realized from looking at one of the drawings that she is built of metal.  I had just opened this to correct my earlier statement.  Be that as it may, I am going to build her of wood.

Bob 

I lived in Sweden and was part of the Steam Boat Heritage Society for a long time before moving to the USA.

SS Mariedfred's hull is made of steel, a major part of her superstructure as well.

This is boat I worked on during the summer of 1983.

She was also a steam boat but later converted to diesel.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Here is the official link to SS Mariefred

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Well I see I'm going to have to be careful with this build.  There are too many people who have seen and/or been on her.  Well, at least when I get confused there will be people who can hopefully answer my questions.

Bob

31 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

Dr Per,. According to your website link, she is still coal powered steam.

Roger

Roger,

I am sorry if I mislead you but I was referring to the link about M/S Juno.

Back to you CapnBob, sorry for the side step.

Respectfully

3 hours ago, captainbob said:

Well I see I'm going to have to be careful with this build.  There are too many people who have seen and/or been on her.  Well, at least when I get confused there will be people who can hopefully answer my questions.

Bob

There are several Swedes on this site, and I know if you have any question we are than happy to help out.

I certainly looking forward to this project of yours.

Respectfully

Thanks, Dr.  That's one of the things I like about MSW, There are people all over the world who can and are willing to help.

Bob

Thanks John, it should be a fun build.  And if I run into trouble there seems to be a lot of people here that are familiar with her.

Bob 

Tom,  Sorry but I missed your post.  Your boat does look very much like the Mariefred. 

Bob

I finally got a start on the Mariefred.   The drawings I received from the museum in Stockholm were the best drawings I have ever received.  When I get drawings of a boat the first thing I do is scan them into my computer and open them in an ancient copy of AutoCad.   Then I check length, breadth and height as though I were designing her.  Usually there are errors that must be corrected.  But these drawings lined up and were correct.  When designing a boat the designer draws one side of each bulkhead these then have to be redrawn and each one needs to be mirrored to make a full width bulkhead.  These are then transferred to and cut out of wood sheet and mounted on a board.  That is where I am at the moment.

Bob

2.jpg

3.JPG

wonderful start Bob,

I love these old steam boats...

looks very promissing on the model slipway.....

Just a question : is it for limited display space afterwards that you have chosen 1:100 and not scale 1:50 or so ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils, My preference is to build in 1:48 but I live in a smaller house now.  Now I build to keep the finished boat less then 15" long.

Bob

Hi Bob,

nice to see how you build this modell of a wonderfull old beauty.  Its a dream to sail on board of this old lady from Stockholm to her old destination Mariefred Harbor. 

I think that she will be the last of this old ships with a steam engine which sailed in Sweden. There is another little fleet of old ship which sailed in line traffic on the Götakanal from Göteborg to Stockholm. There are Ms Juno from 1874, MS Wilhelm Tham from 1912 and MS Diana from 1931. But in these ships the steam engines were exchanged for diesel.

Regards Angarfather

on the : Staatenjacht Utrech

At last finished:

Gianna a Pinco Genovese

HMS Agamemnon

TB, you're right. The waterline is the same height from the building board on each station and the step at the deck makes it easy to bend that first plank to the correct shape.

Patrick, thanks for the encouragement.  But I'm not sure about, "flying".

Angarfather,  it is nice to have you and other, who have seen the Mariefred, along for this build.  If any of you see me missing something don't hesitate to point it out.

Bob

Very interesting build you've started here Bob -  and so quickly on the heals of completing your Edwardian Launches.  I hope you don't mind another head looking over your shoulder - I'll be following.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Come on in Gary.  I have shoulders broad enough for all of you

Bob