Hi

This post is about how I mill small dry pieces of wood in the round. I am milling a piece of boxwood in this example. Boxwood comes from small trees and is not generally available in large amounts. I bought a 5' limb 3-4"s in diameter. The wood was sold by the pound, ouch!Box, as it is often called, is very dense including the end grain. The wood generally does not split or chip. I am going to use the wood for blocks.

Adding photos and will be back to add the words later via edits.

Photo 1

The first step is to mill a piece of wood 2' square by 14 incles long which will be used as a sled.  My Nanook is a thousand pound gal named nanooo. She's always hanging around the boatyard checking things out. Must be an orphan. She has a cub some where around the yard as well.

1.jpg?t=1365013176

Photo 2

The limb is 10" long and on;ly serveral inches in diameter.....hard as a brick!

2.jpg?t=1365004289

Photo 3

Imagine the limb in this photo is round.  First thing I did was to plane a flat surface the the length of the piece of wood until the flat was

about  1/2' wide.  I then used CA slow drying glue to mate the flat to the sled.

3.jpg?t=1365013281

Photo 4

Here you can see the wood mated to the sled. I have milled some slabs from the piece. Please note, for safety, the sled is made longer than the wood being milled. This allows the limb to pass through the blade while my fingers are well away from danger.

museephotos002.jpg?t=1365013399

Photo 5

Photo shows a milled slab. Next step is to run the slab through my Brynes thickness sander on both sides, and then finish sand it to the correct thickness, e.g., 3.mm.  After reaching the desired thinkness I will cut the material into planks, etc., on my Brynes table saw.

df4dae19-aef3-4530-a27c-4b9cead0474f.jpg

One must be very careful when using the process shown above. Always use a push stick and a feather board!!! For safety sake I have found it best to mill the entire piece of wood at once rather than to return and mill more of the same limb later.  Wood moves and will loosen the bond of glue to the sled over time, beware!

In place of super glue, one can put a few screws or, as Kip (sawdust) advises some dowel rods into the blank.  Either approach would be more safe than ca glue.

Feel free to post your comments and ideas here.

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

“there is wisdom in many voices”

Completed: Sharpie Schooner (Midwest) Posted in kit build section of forum

Current: Sultana (MSW) Updating the build log and continuing on with the build

Next: Lady Nelson (Amati Victory)

Edited by hopeful

Posting another photo of the fist slab milled from the piece of round limb. I will not waste this wood but cut it into stripes of several sizes on my Brynes table saw.

4.jpg?t=1365013065

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

Hi,

Thanks for checking the post. Remember a year or so ago when I mentioned I had some box that was round that I was going mill as soon as I figured out how to do it with out cutting my fingers or arm off?  You sent me a note advising to use a sled.

Its been a long time coming, John.

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David