Here we go.. New modeler; new member.

Achu

Greetings to all! And, especially to those who have unknowingly helped me already, as I've been looking through past posts and tutorials for the past two weeks. You all are so kind! 

A quick about me: Born and raised on the New England Coast. I do contract work, so I have gaps of time that allow me to step aside and focus on hobbies, reading etc. When I was younger I made airplane models, but never at any great detail (glue, brush some paint on, stick on the decals, voila). But I got the itch to return to modeling over the winter, and I've been reading Patrick O'Brian so I thought, "hey, why not a ship?" Well, after two weeks of working on the Constructo Albatros I can give you a lot of reasons.

Just kidding. I'm having an absolute blast! I'll post the first in a build log as soon as I'm done with the introduction here. Even just getting ready to start the build had me working on my "shipyard" so I'll show a little of that.

IMG_1203.thumb.jpg.685493872a6ed8b2bb967eb84f6903bc.jpg2.thumb.jpg.9fbb331c6392d179216ec84641652646.jpg3.thumb.jpg.f32caae897341f9dcc6ad6a87034cbc4.jpg

Picked up a street-side plywood table for a few dollars, planed, sanded, filled, sanded, filled, sanded, and varnished. Put about 6-7 coats of poly on the top and got it nice and smooth. Tools purchased for the "yard" so far: Small plastic squares, small rulers, sanding sticks in various grits, the Zona mitre box and fine-kerf saw seen above, and various clamping devices. Oh, and that big new xacto mat. (Had to protect the new table!) Dug out the old xacto handle and got some new #11s as well, and also some glue: Loctite CA, Elmer's white and TB II. 

Thanks for reading, and thanks for all the help that I'm sure is soon to come. It will be needed!

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome,

Looks like your ready to go. Was your contract work with a secret government agency?:rolleyes:

John

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Welcome to MSW! Nice job on turning that table into a shipyard. Looks like you will have a nice place to work on your Albatros. Best of luck to you on your build and I look forward to seeing your progress.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Welcome,

:sign:

Groetjes

Greetings

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

:sign: from Monterrey, Mexico

The most important thing I see in your setup, is that mug of coffee. :P

Best wishes on your project.

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Welcome aboard Achu,

Good luck with your Albatros.  If needed, you'll find plenty of advise, help and encouragement from everyone.

I wish you smooth sailing and happy modelling.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Guest Riccardo1966

Hi Achu, I'm new here also and am learning a great deal already. There are some hugely skillful model makers here who are generous with their knowledge and advice.

All the best Richard

Pacific North West says :sign:

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome Achu! Being a hardened, grizzled, steely-eyed veteran ship constructor with like three months and one third of one ship under my belt, I can say do as much girding of thy modeling loins as possible, both in terms of tools and knowledge.

And the single most important thing I think I've learned is that this is not a craft where one even considers leaping without looking. You look. Then you do it several more times. You walk across the valley to see what the leap looks like from that angle. And three or four more places around the area, including renting Mr. Henderson's hot air balloon for an aerial view.

A bit of laser range-finding later, we know exactly how high cliff is and the angle of the leap, the effect of the updraft on final impact velocity, and exactly what bones you will be breaking and in what order.

At that point you're sure you're ready for the leap. You're wrong :). You have to then make sure you'll get the best ambulance service and that the road into the quarry is clearly marked and level enough for a standard ambulance to navigate. And then because you'll be unconscious you tattoo on your chest to go to Mercy hospital and take 82 because 95 is down to two lanes near Simpsonville.

Click on the link in my signature and you'll see me make a series of mistakes, every one of which can be traced to not following some part of the steps above- either not looking long and hard enough to see a problem that already exists or not walking through the next steps in enough detail to see that my cunning plan had not been thought through.

Then go read some build logs from one of the master scratchbuilders and watch those things not happen because there are no ambushes or surprising events for which they weren't prepared. And that in the end they make progress faster even though they're spending five times as much time preparing and double checking than less experienced builders.

The wonderful thing about this site and the community is that if you feel the slightest doubt or aren't sure if you're seeing all the woods that that need to be checked for hiding bears, just pause and ask a question. You'll get an answer from minutes to a few hours from people who've already built the kit and know three ways to handle whatever has you bothered.

I have a friend who wants to do ship modeling and asked me what tools he needs; although I'm new to ships I've been building aircraft and other things for a quite long time and I'm pretty well equipped. Instead of trying to list many things I just put everything I had been using to build the hull on my workbench and took some pics. You don't need everything you see here, for example you can probably struggle by with less than four knives and only one rotary tool. But you will find everything here useful and they will make many tasks easier and faster. You'll soon figure out which ones you want/need most and can set a priority order for buying. You'll of course get good advice here on what exactly to get and who has the best prices.

Only thing hard to see is overflowing clear stand top left, inside are like 8 kinds of scissors including tiny Castroviejo ophthalmic surgery scissors and lots of forceps and tweezers and splinter forceps and diamond files.

20170216_000103.thumb.jpg.f8563ea75c8ec6b78fef7288f12a930e.jpg

20170216_000045.thumb.jpg.a006cbbfa6f9d6d907f3ccea96a00c3e.jpg

20170216_000310.thumb.jpg.02409192ff10dd94efab0aed51fba829.jpg

20170216_000321.thumb.jpg.a531ec370fc8cbf2d0772b027cd9bd5d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey howya goin mate welcome.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.