Skipjack Kathryn by Mahuna - FINISHED - 1:32 - Based on HAER Drawings

The explaination in the book, which unfortunetly I did not note down the location of, did not explain it clearly, only that that was the reason for the pendant.

I'm going to try and refind the passage.

Here is the entry from my "Carrie Price " build, which I hope to restart soon.

Part 22

I guess I owe Pyro an apology. At the beginning of this build, I commented that the casting they made for the furled, or as it turns out being furled, main sail was incorrect. I think I used a stronger comment. Because I'm used to modern sailboats, I said that they had cast the angle of the leading edge, in the wrong direction, as it angled away from the mast.

They had it right!

The foot of the mainsail is laced to the boom in such a fashion that it cannot side forward as the sail is lowered. With the steep rake of the mast, the leading edge would jam as the sail was lowered. I have not worked up the geometry for this, I'll take their word for it.

To solve this problem, the lower part of the sail is not directly laced to the mast hoops. Instead there is a rope that runs between the sail hanks and the hoops. I'm not explaining this well but the drawing that will follow should clear it up.

As the sail is lowered this rope is loosened and the leading edge can pull away from the hoops, letting it slide back.

This detail was from the Skipjack Kathern documents shown earlier in Frank's post.

Detail A shows how the lower part of the sail is attached to the hoops by a rope running between them and the hoops. Detail B shows the upper hoops laced directly to the sail.

So Pyro’s casting with the lower part of the sail pulled away from the mast, as it is being lowered, is correct.

Interesting basically

The jib has only a partial boom, so this is not a problem. It is hanked directly to the stay.

Learn something new every day.

Hey Frank

I’m just catching up on your little ripper of a model.  You know, some people are handsome.  Some people are rich.  And some people are just seriously talented.  You, Frank, fall into the ‘Seriously Talented’ category!!!!!  And that’s a good thing.

Every time I look at your work, I just shake my head in envy and disbelief.

Mighty fine work, Frank.  Mighty fine, indeed!  

Cheers. 

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

Hi Everyone.  I'm sorry that it's been quite a while since my last post.  We've had some serious issues at home lately, and my focus has been there rather than modeling.  These issues will continue for the foreseeable future, so I'm not sure how much modeling time (or focus) I'll have.  If I do make some progress on Kathryn I'll continue to post updates.

Thanks everyone for all of your 'Likes' and comments through the build - they have meant a lot to me.  

Frank: I'm sorry to read that you have other more pressing matters right now, and hope that they are not too serious. Best wishes while your attention is focussed on these. We can wait until you return.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi Frank

I’m sorry to hear that you’re going through a difficult time at the moment. Undoubtedly, family and your home life are far more important than modelling. 

I hope that that those issues are resolved soon so that you can return to normalcy  

Take care. 

Cheers. 

Patrick

jee Frank........I check in hoping to see some of your amazing progress,  and I find you've had cause for pause :(    I hope that it's nothing serious,  and can be dispatched quickly.  hope you and yours are well.......I'll look forward in seeing your continuance ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Family issues come first, Frank.  I hope for a good resolution.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone..

I'd like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a healthy and Happy New Year.

There's been no progress on Kathryn since September, due to the serious issues we've been dealing with.  However, all of the daily doctor visits and treatments have come to an end and we're starting to get back to our normal happy lives again.  I'm hoping to get back to Kathryn's rigging in the near future.

In the meantime, thanks again for all of the wonderful comments on the build, and I'm looking forward to being active on MSW again.

Best regards to all!

Edited by Mahuna

Frank, good to hear treatments have finished and life is picked up again. Hope everything turned out as well as may be expected. Hope to see your endeavours at MSW again soon. For now a Merry Christmas and a Healthy and happy New Year to you and your family

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Merry Christmas to you too Frank! Glad to hear the treatments are done. I hope you can get back to building again soon! Best wishes!

That's great news, Frank!  I hope the new year brings more good news to you and yours.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great news Frank, all the best in the new year.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Great news on the family front, Frank. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

good to hear things are looking up Frank!   hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas and hope better health in 2019 :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...

Part 83 –Mainsail cont’d

Hi Everyone

Thanks again for all of the good wishes during a very difficult time.  Things have improved significantly and we’re back to fairly normal circumstances, so I’ve been able to put a little time in the shop and back to work on Kathryn.  The next couple of posts will catch us up on work that had already been completed, but had not yet been posted in the log.

We had left off with attaching the mast hoops to the mainsail.  There was still a little more work required before bending the sail to the mast.

Three lines were seized to ringbolts at the boom jaws, as in the following photo.

1033.thumb.jpg.306039ee1d6a394dcc0e215c06b3cbdc.jpg

The line at the bottom of the photo is for wrapping the furled sail.

The middle line is for lacing the sail to the boom.

The top line is for the boom lift.

Before the sail can be laced to the boom, 3 reefing tackles need to be attached to the boom.  These lines are spliced to form loops that encircle the boom, are then run up to the leech of the sail, down through the reefing (cheek) blocks on the boom and finally to cleats positioned on the boom.  The loops formed by these splices need to be adjustable, so I formed them as follows:

First the line for the reefing tackle was passed through a needle threader, which was then positioned through the eye of the needle.

1034.thumb.jpg.fdb6bc3505c94e5a62a9297edf80bd22.jpg

The line was then pulled through the eye of the needle.

1035.thumb.jpg.4fd8b16cb1294bc3bbd7221d0bc1cb46.jpg

The needle was passed through the line 

1036.thumb.jpg.45eeeb03b8daa246af0be500504cc41b.jpg

and the line was pulled through the opening made by the needle to form a loop and the first part of the splice.

1037.thumb.jpg.dff45650986818520c6d051fb8ad12d0.jpg

This process was repeated again to form the rest of the splice.

1038.thumb.jpg.f6fc9cf5a41b78381a37ed848bf21c69.jpg

The loop was positioned on the boom and the reefing tackle was then pulled tight to form a loop that properly fit the diameter of the boom.  The splice was hit with a spot of diluted white glue and rolled between thumb and finger to round it, and when dry the loose end of the line was trimmed.  The following photo shows a reefing tackle that is being positioned on the boom, along with one that has been tightened and trimmed.

1039.thumb.jpg.75e6461402322bdb1d5c92b4a026f312.jpg

1040.thumb.jpg.5b83f0360bda2d1df8db7e8edb686839.jpg

1041.thumb.jpg.b80348718860262e5eb8ec9ed6d1a73f.jpg

The mainsail was then laced to the boom by running the lacing line through the ringbolts and the ‘grommets’ on the sail.  (These grommets had been formed by punching a hole through a spot of white glue that was positioned on the sail).

1043.thumb.jpg.e6ee978d9530b8b369700658089f2828.jpg

The sail/boom combination was installed by sliding the mast hoops down the mast, and then positioning the boom in its proper location, held by the pin that is between the two jaws.

1044.thumb.jpg.b975dccf01536853a462cb61eca06957.jpg

As can be seen in the above photo, the mainsail is trimmed smaller than the actual measurements to prevent the furled sail from appearing too bulky.

The next post will address installation of the topping lift.

Thanks everyone – it’s good to be back at work!

Edited by Mahuna

Very good to see you back Frank, and I'm extremely happy that things are turning out well for you.  Hope to see her in person one of these days!

1 hour ago, GuntherMT said:

Very good to see you back Frank, and I'm extremely happy that things are turning out well for you.  Hope to see her in person one of these days!

Thanks Brian.  You're welcome any time.

37 minutes ago, druxey said:

Looking very nice indeed. I like the subliminal advertising for Jim Byrnes in the background!

Thanks, Druxey - I don't mind showing off Jim's tools, wouldn't be without them!

21 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

Welcome back Frank!

Roger

Thanks Roger.  It is good to be back.

Part 84 –Topping Lift

Kathryn’s Topping Lift consists of a wire pendant hanging off the masthead band via a shackle with a single block at the lower end of the pendant, and the tackle running from the ringbolt at the aft boom band, through the pendant’s single block, and back down through the sheave embedded in the boom just forward of the aft boom band.

1045.thumb.jpg.bc93065e6daffa488a7ef0f883d9b357.jpg

I was able to find some uncoated stainless steel fishing leader in various sizes that will make acceptable wire stays and shrouds.  I also found crimping beads from Beadaholique that will serve as the fasteners for the wire components.

1046.thumb.jpg.1ba20813f38568921d5f2f0d0ccd6fc4.jpg

Crimping pliers from Xuron are the tool used for crimping the fasteners.

1047.thumb.jpg.587cc2dd112bc82d3bf1ab8d1c5a1fd5.jpg

1048.thumb.jpg.d723efe397f7c48db65cce31a35db8b3.jpg

The rearmost jaws perform the actual crimping, and the forward jaws help to shape the crimped beads.

I used two crimping beads at each end of the Topping Lift Pendant.

1049.thumb.jpg.35516c7d1419692416215b202639a40d.jpg

1050.thumb.jpg.d130abb3b7ea8ec58777bb251893080e.jpg

The following photo shows the completed and installed Topping Lift.

1051.thumb.jpg.dbe8b56b757b3806d37cd5915f6a2782.jpg

This completes the posting for the work that was done prior to my long absence.  Furling the Mainsail will be the topic for the next post.

Very pleased to see that you have passed through the most difficult part of your recent event and good to see you back to work on Kathryn. 

I note that you have not pencil lined the sail to represent seamed cloth panels. Possibly the sail was not made up from seamed panels??? You have also shortened the height of the sail, (with fewer hoops) so that the furled and tied appearance will be visually to scale. Your wire shrouds and stays, using Surfstrand fishing leaders add realistic detail to your Kathryn. All around superb work.