Skipjack Kathryn by Mahuna - FINISHED - 1:32 - Based on HAER Drawings

Thanks Druxey.  I think I'm the one who should be sending appreciation to all of the folks who have been very encouraging along the way.

• 1 month later...

I'll be taking Kathryn to next week's meeting of the San Diego Ship Modelers Guild, and then will be going on to Carlsbad, California - total driving time will be around 12 hours.  I'm a little nervous about Kathryn bouncing around in the car for that long, so I had to devise a way to keep her steady in the car.

The building board for the Kathryn build is about 6-8 inches longer than the overall length of the model, so I will use that board and I devised a clamping arrangement to keep her steady on the board, as in the following photo.

DSCN7793.thumb.jpg.d0f464915333275d22e3ef8747a82971.jpg

DSCN7798.thumb.jpg.5367a2e8d1e9391c3d43af310b1099e7.jpg

The cross-pieces press down on Kathryn's base, and the surface of the cross-piece which touches the base is lined with a soft rubber padding to avoid scratching the base.

The boom is only held from swaying side-to-side by the main sheet, so I wedged a piece of soft foam rubber between the boom and the board that joins the 2 davits.

DSCN7800.thumb.jpg.a083cd07d5e02334cca9c2ba801cf128.jpg

The yawl boat is suspended from the davits by a block configuration and could easily sway back and forth and do some damage to itself and/or the model, so I epoxied a clear acrylic rod between the side of the boat and the bumper at Kathryn's rear.  This is a permanent solution, but I thought it was necessary to protect the model during its life - not just for the trip.

DSCN7801.thumb.jpg.0c8c1f5dbe4c9f583bc793326e922538.jpgSome future work still remains for Kathryn - she needs a display case to protect her from dust, dirt, grandchildren, and cleaning ladies.  In the meantime I've started the drafting process for the next model, and I'll post a link here when I start a new build log in a month or so.

Cheers, everyone!

Edited by Mahuna

Frank, I used those green Velcro cloth plant ties to hold my boat to the back seat of the car. I loop it thru the child safety seat anchors hidden under the car seat back placing one leg under the build board and the other leg under the boat and over the board. Overlap the two legs about 5-6 inches and the will hold it fast to the car seat.  Drove 3 hours with a model to conference and return 3 hours with no ill effects. The strips are about 1/4 inch wide and can be found in the garden section of Lowes or Home Depot.

I spend a lot of time In San Diego but bummed out I won’t be there when you visit. Kathryn is one of my favorite models and builds but I’ll miss her...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

On 9/3/2019 at 4:24 PM, Jack12477 said:

Frank, I used those green Velcro cloth plant ties to hold my boat to the back seat of the car. I loop it thru the child safety seat anchors hidden under the car seat back placing one leg under the build board and the other leg under the boat and over the board. Overlap the two legs about 5-6 inches and the will hold it fast to the car seat.  Drove 3 hours with a model to conference and return 3 hours with no ill effects. The strips are about 1/4 inch wide and can be found in the garden section of Lowes or Home Depot.

Thanks for the suggestion Jack.  I'll be driving a small SUV, so won't need to use the seat anchors.

On 9/4/2019 at 7:14 PM, Moab said:

I spend a lot of time In San Diego but bummed out I won’t be there when you visit. Kathryn is one of my favorite models and builds but I’ll miss her...Moab

Too bad - always like to meet other MSW members.