Mike, I believe the kit specifically states that the second planking wood is not included.  I found a semi-local wood supplier and purchased Sapele veneer from him.  It was cheap and was the right thickness.  I cut my own strips from the veneer sheet. I was pleased with how it turned out.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Steve, it would be fun to light it but a bit of a fuss for one light I think.

Derek I have loads of left over veneer that I can use but, as the boss wants me to paint this rather than leave it wood I might be able to get away with one layer and some filler. I know your version looked super but I do seem to have rather a lot of wood finish models and it might be a change to paint one. I would still leave the deck, pilot house and  fitments natural.

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Hi Mike,

The colour scheme on the Box Lid looks good, would you be doing something like that?

(You might have to paint the Deck Structures also?)

Just a thought....

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

There is one scheme on the box and another on the photo sheet that comes with the kit. I can't work out which one I prefer but I have a way to go before I need to choose. Thanks for the comment HOF.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Those that have looked at my previous builds ill know that planking is not my best thing. So, for this boat and for reasons best know to myself I adopted a different process!!

The first strake had to go on 3mm below the top of the bulkheads. Not too difficult. On the advice of others I started to work downwards from that for a few rows but I did decide to taper the bow end a bit. Glad I did. I continued downwards and the thought came to me - since this was working quite well why don't I just keep going. So I did all the way to the keel.

The wood provided is really soft and easy to soak which made life a lot easier.

I reckon that with a bit of filler and a lot of sanding this is going to look ok. What do you think?

IMGP4647.JPG

IMGP4648.JPG

IMGP4649.JPG

IMGP4651.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hi Mike,

Want me to be honest?

I think that's really good.:(

The only issue that you may have is with the gap between the Stern Deck and level of the Stern Bulwark (I'm sure you know this.)

In Saying so, once you apply a little filler/Sanding, you'll have a good base for either Paint or second Planking.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Yes HOF I had thought about that Bulwark and I think it's going to be tricky. I didn't want to cut too much away to start with, I am not quite sure whether the gap should be the same as the sides? Anyway, thanks for the comment about the planking, I am blushing!!

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hi Mike,

Planking at the Stern, (From memory), is a little more than the sides, if anything.

I guess if you "Test Fit" the Bulwarks it should become apparent how much Planking you'll have trim.

Also, a Test fit of the Bulwarks will let you know if your Scuppers are level with the Planking on the Deck.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thank you for that, I suspected that might be the case. I reckon the scuppers should be fine. The destructions say to put the side bulwarks on first which seems like a good idea and I hope will make the fitting of the stern easier. I'm not sure that I am going to follow the rules about the planking of them though. I think I shall leave that until they are fitted or bending them will be a nightmare. Anyway I have a fair bit of sanding, filling and more sanding to do first.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I really thought you should see this ! The kit does not come with any 'furniture' for the pilot house, not even a wheel. So I bought one from ebay and it is just a wonderful piece of engineering in my humble opinion. There is even an extra spoke is case of losing one which, having put it together would be easy to do. At £3.41 I am well pleased.

IMGP4652.JPG

IMGP4653.JPG

IMGP4654.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hi Mike,

That's pretty good!!

What Diameter is it?

Is this a company or an individual?

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

HOF, the wheel is 20mm, fiddly to put together but well worth it. It was from a company I think called Model's parts shop and they sell loads of equally brilliant brass bits and pieces including wonderful portholes and all manner of bits and bobs I could spend a fortune!

Anyway, being a sad person (!!!!) here it is in situ. The idea is that the base with the seat, dashboard and wheel will go on the deck and the removeable (!!!!) pilot house will sit on top.

Whilst I am here I will ask for some opinions. Would it be a good idea to put the stem on the hull before trying to put the bulwarks on rather than do it after as the destructions suggest?

IMGP4655.JPG

IMGP4656.JPG

IMGP4657.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I like your eye for detail. Very nice work.  I put the stem on after installing the bulwarks.  I had to trim mine to fit the stem which I think would be the case with each installation.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Yup,

Agree,

Install the Stern Bulwarks after the sides.

Rather difficult to install Bullheads/Planking after deck Fittings/Etc. (Is this what you mean?)

But, in saying so, you need to put a bit of abrasive Paper on the Deck so that you can get the Camber of the Deck into the base of the various deck Fittings, Wheelhouse/Engine Cover/Hatch Covers/Etc., but, I am sure you know this anyway.

Wheelhouse/Internals look good, wish I had done that. (Never mind.)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

We are filled, sanded and smoothed and ready for the addition of the bulwarks. Fingers crossed!!

IMGP4658.JPG

IMGP4659.JPG

IMGP4660.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

The bulwarks are now on. Quite a struggle to do those even after soaking but I won on the end. I put on the stem and keel but found I had sanded a bit too much off the bulwarks at the prow and had to put a small filler on the stem at the top but I don't think it shows. Also planked the insides of the bulwarks and put in the waterways. I put the propeller on,  just a loose fit at the moment but I don't want to do the rudder yet - too easy to knock it off at the moment. I added a bit more filler to smooth the bulwarks and did a wee bit more sanding and I think the hull is just about done. Next step is the stantions. I still can't decide what colour scheme to paint the hull.

IMGP4661.JPG

IMGP4662.JPG

IMGP4663.JPG

IMGP4665.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Thanks for that Brian,

Wales or rubbing strakes and stantions done !!

IMGP4666.JPG

IMGP4667.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Looks good, the shape of the bow is real sweet

I am now in the process of painting the hull which has given me time in between drying to make all the bits and pieces for the deck.

I modified the pilot house to have an opening door at the back so that the interior could be seen. I also added brass portholes instead of the horrid black things in the kit. The little companion way was an interesting challenge as the door was supposed to hinge with some very peculiar idea from AL who then forgot to put the bits in the kit so I made my own hinges !! Other pictures are of all the fish boxes and the guard thing they will rest against, the engine, winch, trawl doors, engine house cover, ladder and front hatch.

Once the hull painting is finished they will all have somewhere to go.

I can't quite understand some of the scaling on this model. Either the pilot house is too large or the companionway too small. If people could get into the companionway there is no way they could lift a full fish box!!

IMGP4669.JPG

IMGP4668.JPG

IMGP4670.JPG

IMGP4671.JPG

IMGP4672.JPG

IMGP4673.JPG

IMGP4674.JPG

IMGP4675.JPG

IMGP4676.JPG

IMGP4677.JPG

IMGP4678.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Pictures of the finished hull before and after painting. Just a white line to add between the red and the blue when it's dry and then I can put all the little bits and pieces on. I am finding it very hard not to fiddle with it before the paint is properly dry but I must resist !!

IMGP4679.JPG

IMGP4680.JPG

IMGP4681.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

The paint had dried so it was time to put on all the bits and pieces and now she is finished. I am quite pleased with the end result and I am glad that although I painted the hull I left the superstructure wooden.

I made a couple of concessions. Firstly the name on the boat is 'Our Sea' which is the translation of 'Mare Nostrum' from the Latin and the second was to commandeer the vessel and let her fly the Red Ensign.

I hope you like her.

IMGP4684.JPG

IMGP4685.JPG

IMGP4686.JPG

IMGP4687.JPG

IMGP4688.JPG

IMGP4689.JPG

IMGP4690.JPG

IMGP4691.JPG

IMGP4692.JPG

IMGP4693.JPG

IMGP4694.JPG

IMGP4695.JPG

IMGP4696.JPG

IMGP4697.JPG

IMGP4698.JPG

IMGP4700.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Looks great.  Nice job.  I like the contrast with both the paint and the bare wood.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

What an absolute little gem. You have well and truly done a beautiful job of her. Congratulations Mike. 

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Brian, I decided to do wooden ratlines mostly out of laziness as I thought I would make a hash of thread ones having only two knots.

As to what is next I am not sure. Either a Chinese junk or a Roman bireme or I still have a wagon to do in my stash. Once I decide I will put a note on here before starting a new log.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Mike,

I think wooden ratlines is more accurate for this type of vessel.

Looks better that way.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry