Hello again folks.

Having finished my Viking boat I have started another kit from my stash, the Mare Nostrum.

I see loads of other people have done this kit as well so it will be interesting to see how I get on. This little boat has to be planked properly of course, no clinkering this time!!

Anyway I am sure you all know what's in the box but I'll show you anyway !!

So far most of the bulkheads have been fitted to the false keel and her rear end has been stroked until round and smooth !!

More soon.

IMGP4630.JPG

IMGP4632.JPG

IMGP4633.JPG

IMGP4634.JPG

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Hi Mike, I look forward to watching the build.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Welcome Derek, I hope I can make as good a job as you did with yours.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Mare Nostrum Build "Bods." ;)

A good start.

I believe that the later version of this kit has room for improvement. (Steve 12345 Build)

I'll be watching with interest.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Welcome along HOF, I think you could be right !!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Mike,

I am joining this group too, just found the couch and the pop-corn.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Gosh, so many people watching I had better not make a hash of this !

I have faired the stem and stern, not a job I am very good at. We shall see when I start the planking - another job I'm not very good at !

I have planked and installed the bunk room and engine room floors and gone the extra mile by planking the sides as well.

As for the bunk room, the kit comes with pieces for the beds but they were too big so I made my own. I realise that these would not show once the model is complete but I took pity on the crew and because I am such a sad person I made them a galley as well, we can't have them starving down there after all. I may try and make the companionway removable so that with a magnifying glass and a dentists angled mirror the internal wonders may be beheld!!

IMGP4635.JPG

IMGP4636.JPG

IMGP4637.JPG

IMGP4638.JPG

IMGP4640.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Very nice Mike!!

I would hope that the cooking fumes doesn't disturb sleep!!

Are you sure that the Crew wouldn't just take a packed Lunch? (Vegimite Sammies?) :)

(I did the Bunks also but didn't think about the Kitchen facilities.)

Great start regardless.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

They don't have sandwiches - they eat fish obviously !!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I wonder, with so many about should it be Mare Nostrii ?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Brian you are truly sad !!!!

Thanks daddyrabbit but,

You spend ages planking the deck with pre prepared lengths nicely rubbed with pencil to give good caulking, stick them on being careful not to get too much glue on the surface, leave it to dry. Cut out the necessary holes only to find that one at the front and one at the rear didn't need cutting out because they should have stayed there. So, then you fill them in carefully so that they don't show. Then you stick the deck lovely and central onto the hull with the aid to two raised points to make sure it is in the right place fighting with the clamps that don't want to stay on to maintain the curve of the deck. You leave it to dry resisting the temptation to fiddle with and watch the clamps ping off.

The next day you take off the clamps and examine you handiwork and you find THIS !!!!!!!!!

Just how on earth does it happen ?

IMGP4641.JPG

IMGP4643.JPG

IMGP4645.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

So, now I have to add shims to the bulkheads on one side and shave some off on the other side. We love making models really, I'm sure we do !!!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hi Mike,

Better to lay the Deck Planking after the False Deck is attached?

This way you can "Pin" the False Deck and True it up.

If you have used white Glue, can you not carefully release it with a Scalpel and re-glue?

My Two Cents worth.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Unfortunately, by doing the shimming and trimming your deck plank layout will no longer be symmetrical. I had no issues with the false deck and certainly didn't experience this problem.  I agree with HOF.  Perhaps detach the deck and realign it.  I can't tell you how many times I have had to remove and redo an assembly.  It's all part of the joy of ship modelling.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Hi Mike,

Another thought, if you decide to separate the Deck from the Bulkheads, you can still "Pin" the edges of the Deck as any holes will be covered by the Waterways.

Pin from Stem to Stern, or, maybe, from the Centre Bulkhead, work towards the Stem and Stern, (Alternate), one Bulkhead at a time, (Left/Right), then Pin in the Centre where Deck Furniture will cover any unwanted holes.

If you are happy with the way things look, run a Fillet of glue from the underside around all Bulkhead to Deck joints. (If not, Pin again.)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. The thing is that there is a very slight warp to the false keel but really, very slight and not enough for the difference I have experienced. There is little point in removing the deck as it is correctly lined up centrally with the false keel. On this kit there are locating pieces for the deck to get it in the right place relative to the false keel. These were the holes in the deck planking that I shouldn't have cut out but did and had to fill in again afterwards. The problem would seem to have occurred by a very slight angle that the bulkheads were cut at where they slotted onto the false keel. I was very careful to get them square from a horizontal point of view but I didn't take enough care of the vertical. A good lesson learnt I think. Anyway I have shimmed one side and sanded the other and that shouldn't leave a gap at the sides of the deck unless my planking is really bad which is quite likely. I am not very good at it.

I am going to measure the position of the first plank today and try and get it on both sides. Watch this space!!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Brian, if you can remember, when you put your first plank on the hull did you follow the line and keep it parallel to the deck or did you let it fall naturally at each end ?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hi Mike,

If I may interject, the 1st plank follows the line of the Deck, from memory, 2.5mm below the Deck to accommodate the Bulwarks.

(Apologies for sticking my beak in.)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thanks HOF, you stick your beak in as far as you like !! In fact in my impatient way I forged ahead and did it anyway in line with the deck so I am glad I did it right !! In is 3mm but what's 1/2mm between friends! Since you are there I am tempted to put the garboard strake on next, does that make sense ?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hi Mike,

I Planked from the Deck down for the first few Planks and Keel up for the rest.

Sanded and filled after that.

Mine was double planked, so after the Bulwarks, Stem, Keel fitted 0.5mm Walnut.

I'll "Re-Sizes" some more photos for you in a mo.

Cheers....HOF.

Mare Nostrum1.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Here you go Chap,

Hope this helps.

If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask!!

Cheers....HOF. (Harry)

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

The other thing that comes to mind with the A/L doctrine of construction is that there is not really a "Garboard" in the traditional sense as the Keel is fitted "Post" first Planking.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thanks Brian and Harry thank you for the photos. OK so the garboard isn't as important by the sound of it as on some boats ? Did you taper the strakes both stem and stern and did you put them on in one piece ? Brian what is a 'chine' ?

Sorry for all the questions but planking is not my best thing.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

38 minutes ago, Mike Dowling said:

Sorry for all the questions but planking is not my best thing.

Mike,

Don't be sorry for asking,
Better to ask, than being sorry later for having a bad planking.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hi Mike,

From memory, the first couple of planks down from the Deck did not need to be Tapered, however, if you look at Brian's photo, you can see the treatment given to the planking at the Stern.)

The majority of Planks thereafter were tapered to varying degrees.

Planks were applied "Full Length" using Aliphatic Resin for adhesive and Planking Nails to secure until Glue set. (Nails removed after this.)

"Red Devil" wood filler and a bit of "Elbow Grease" with sanding produced a reasonable finish for the second cover.

As mentioned previously, Keel and Stem attached after first Planking.

I wasn't too fussy as mine was double planked. (I believe that the newer versions are not?)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

A double planked hull was a lifesaver for me because I got some practice planking, learned how not to plank, fixed, repaired, reworked etc etc.  Then I added a generous amount of body fill, sanded down and prepped for the second layer.  It's the second layer that is the picture layer, and by that time you have had some planking experience under your belt.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I thought I had had enough planking experience with the Bounty I did Derek but it was a while ago and I seem to have forgotten everything I learnt!!

I was rather hoping not to do two layers but I may well have to. The kit is very measly on wood and I would have to raid my 'spares' shelf. We shall see.

Meanwhile, apart from a wheel what should I put in the peculiarly shaped pilot house ? Any ideas ?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery: