Red bulwarks

Kurt Johnson

Kurt,

I don’t know of any hard evidence for the start of this practice.  The earliest example of which I am aware is the NMM’s model of Boyne (1692), built by the master shipwright himself, which does have red bulwarks.

Research on the Mary Rose (sunk 1545) has shown a few traces of paint on the external surfaces of one or two fragments, but nothing on internal surfaces.  Similarly, there is considerable evidence of paint remaining on the many carvings of the Wasa (1628) but, except for mouldings in the captain’s cabin, there is no mention of paint inside the hull.  One of the guide books states “Traces of paint have also been found on certain furnishings, but none anywhere on the hull.  Tar and linseed oil seem the only things to have been applied to that.”

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, of course.  However, a near-contemporary panting of the Battle of Gravelines (August, 1588) does show the inner bulwarks of several vessels, none of which seem to carry a predominantly red colour:

gravelines.jpg.3fe0d25e8fc61cce15068b5a7208d431.jpg

My gut reaction is that painting the inner bulwarks probably began in the mid-seventeenth century.  For anything earlier than that, I suggest that it would be safer to leave the bulwarks in a natural wood colour.

John

Past Builds:
Diorama, Washington & Philadelphia - 1776.  1:144 scale scratch build

Sir Edward Hawke - Schooner, 1776.  1:72 scale scratch build from H Hahn plans

Matthew - 1497.  1:25 scale scratch build from Colin Mudie plans

Mediterranean Cog - 1343.  1:40 scale scratch build from Xavier Pastor plans

Nonsuch - 1650.  1:32 scale Aeropiccola kit

Caustic - gunboat, 1776 . 1:36 scale scratch build

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

There is, somewhere here on MSW, some pretty good discussion on the evolution and history of pigments.  As i recall, which is in itself of dubious value, red was not a very common pigment until the 18th century, and even then, when looking at carpenter's stores, not abundant as compared to other pigments. 

Ochre is the colloquial term used by archaeologists to describe an earth or rock containing red or yellow oxides, most commonly hydroxides of iron. Red ochres typically consist of iron oxides (Fe2O3) derived from hematites (from the Greek word for “blood-like”) and other iron-rich rocks. Red ochres are relatively common in natural geological and soil formations, with archeological evidence of use since more than 30,000 years ago. 

Use as a pigment for ships is less tangible, surprisingly, than other uses.  It would require fairly regular updating as the pigments and binders of the period were rather impermanent.  It wasn’t until the late 18th century that the French developed a method for artificially producing a similar red pigment.

It may be of some interest to take a look at recent research concerning the HMS Victory where they have determined that it was not painted red in the Orlop, but rather the flats of the deck (deck referring to the level of the vessel, and flat the surface trod upon) was most likely unpainted, while the bulwarks (walls) were more likely a lighter shade (quite possibly whitewashed).  See Goodwin, Peter G. 2013. “The Application and Scheme of Paintworks in British Men-of-War in the Late Eighteenth and Early Nineteenth Centuries.” The Mariner’s Mirror 99 (3): 287–300. doi:10.1080/00253359.2013.815993 for a very interesting analysis by one of the top living experts on the Victory.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

At this point I agree with John.  The Vasa 1628 per Fred Hocker, Director of Vasa Research, stated May 8, 2006: "The interior of the bulwarks seems to have been unpainted, but may have been tarred".  That was reported to Scottie Dayton, Contributing Editor, Ships in Scale, May/June 2006.  (That report also contains lots of other useful info on the Vasa.)

"The Great Age of Sail" by Kemp & Ormond, plate 3 shows a pointing of an engagement between the English fleet and the Spanish Armada, 1588, unknown artist.  One of the Spanish ships on the left side of the painting suggests a red interior bulwark, but it might be just the railing and an arming cloth.  Sorry, I don't have a scanner.  Bulkheads at the breaks of the decks were commonly red or red plus other colors as is depicted by Kemp & Ormond.  The painting above also shows the bulkheads being predominately red.

Without additional research Kurt, you could apply some red to some of the Spanish Ships 1588 but English ships maybe not, just tarred wood would be the safer bet.

Duff  

• 4 months later...

I am late to the discussion...please pardon my tardiness.  I was a little involved in the discussion on pigments referenced by Wayne, so this interests me in terms of "what did they use and why". 

I see the phrase "...did not paint..."  several times above.  I hope that means they did not use color, but did in some other fashion treat the wood.  I have seen untreated wooden buildings and structures and note how (relatively) rapidly they deteriorate.  I can only guess at the impact an open ocean, salt water environment would have on raw wood.  Would pinetar be used, as Duff suggests, or something else.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Besides pine tar, maybe linseed oil?  Not sure except that from what I've read on fitting out, it was pigment and.. turpentine, tar, and oil.  Maybe someone has knowledge what these solvents were used for?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nobody has answered the question of why red? When I toured the Victory back in the 70's I asked the tour guide why the bulwarks were red and was told it was to keep the gun crews from panicking from blood during combat? Not really sure that is true but have never heard any another explanation. Personally I think some Bos'n had some red paint laying around and just painted the bulwark and became a trend setter.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Another very cheap paint used at the time was red oxide using iron oxide mixed with a binding agent such as linseed oil.  The linseed oil would harden, providing a durable finish.  The iron oxide pigment was finely ground iron ore bearing dirt.  Before the development of UV inhibited varnishes, non-pigmented finishes could be quickly degraded by sunlight.

Red oxide primer, now produced in a low VOC water based form is still used as a cheap construction primer.  We used barrels of it in the pipe fabrication industry as a temporary coating for piping that would later be insulated.

Roger

On 7/30/2017 at 0:22 PM, bearegalleon said:

Hey Chuck, thats a good point.  In the above, the term 'paint' means color and pigment for visual effect.  I think of tarring and other preservation methods as different, since they are primarily functional.  So, say, a 'tarred, unpainted' hull means a wooden hull that has been tarred for protection but not painted for appearance.  How does that sound?

I'll buy that.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 8 months later...

Victory at Traffalgar: I've read several contemporary accounts that the inside of the bulwarks were painted yellow. Bellow decks being whitewashed.

I understand, once out of the dockyard, the cost of painting , or any other aspect of the ship's 'decoration' came out of the captains pocket. The more pigment, the dearer the paint. Of course, some officers weren't short of a bob or two, and as always, to some, Bling is paramount.

It makes sense to me at least, that timbers had a regular coat of linseed oil. Ships manifest included a considerable volume of the stuff. I think the tar was used on the rigging, tops and spars and probably on the wales. Sunlight, weather and repeated coatings would make this treated wood progressively darker over time.

Can't remember where I read this, but the colours of the ships boats were painted with virtual washes of muted earth colours. The hull below the waterline being tallowed, presumably looking yellowish white, not pure white. 

I've often wondered if each boat had its own colour, including oars, masts, thwarts etc. as an aid to identifying what goes where. Again, dedicated officers boats could be embellished with Bling also.

I think it would make sense that wood treatments would be more of a practical nature, with no consideration for future modellers desire to (understandably?) make there work ornamental, to some degree, to keep the wife happy!

• 3 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 12:35 PM, Roger Pellett said:

Another very cheap paint used at the time was red oxide using iron oxide mixed with a binding agent such as linseed oil.  The linseed oil would harden, providing a durable finish.  The iron oxide pigment was finely ground iron ore bearing dirt.  Before the development of UV inhibited varnishes, non-pigmented finishes could be quickly degraded by sunlight.

Red oxide primer, now produced in a low VOC water based form is still used as a cheap construction primer.  We used barrels of it in the pipe fabrication industry as a temporary coating for piping that would later be insulated.

Roger

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would add a bit of information.  I believe what Roger was referring to above is a paint called "Spanish Brown" which was very common from 16th to 19th century.  Presumably it was used early on by the Spanish (hence the name), but that is an assumption. It was red clay or oxide (dirt) mixed with a binding agent (linseed oil).  It was used because it was cheap (literally cheap as dirt), but had a pleasing brownish red color.  The color is prevalent on old surviving historic houses such as those in Colonial Williamsburg.

I've gone through chandlery supply records on ships out of Boston in the 18th century and you can see quantities of "Spanish Brown" in their inventories along with lamp black.  I think it was more predominant with merchant ships later in the 18th century.  Since paint was expensive, it doesn't surprise me that they would have used a cheap preservative such as this as paint on ships along with tar.

Here's a picture of a home in Williamsburg with Spanish Brown.  It takes on different hues depending on the amount and type of dirt that was used but is usually some version of dark reddish brown.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting tidbit.  I'm doing some research on a merchant ship I'm building dated 1788 and I'm trying to figure out the colors (especially the bulwarks) and this paint was listed in its supplies.  I'll probably post something more specific in the paint forum section later on to get more opinions and info.

Cheers

154654815_SpanishBrown.png.2367dfa9ffc32b1f42df07a51bd94526.png

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Thanks el cid,

I figure the same but some of the contemporary 18th century models have fairly bright red.  However,  most are pretty muted. But who knows if that is from time and dirt or originally like that. 

Below is an excerpt from the Log of the Columbia being repaired for sea in 1790 in Boston.

You can see a Mr Thomas K Jones was paid 18 shillings for 2 kegs of Spanish Brown. Since this isn’t enough to paint a whole ship I’m assuming it is for touch ups for the voyage. Later it shows 4 hogsheads of clay and linseed oil and turpentine. So I’m guessing they were mixing it as they needed.  I don’t know what else they would have used that much clay for?

Later it lists £33, 4 shillings for painting the ship but they don’t mention what colors or where. A considerable sum of money for the time. 

CFFECBF6-DD0F-4872-868D-BBC359012F36.jpeg

Edited by Dowmer

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

Dowmer hi.

I just had an amusing thought. Could that Spanish Brown be .... ALE? Here in England 'Brown Ale' has always been popular. That would account for the relatively high price?

Back to bulwarks; there are many Royal Navy accounts of weekly scrubbing of decks and bulwarks with water then 'vinegar', then whitewashing the 'walls'.

Being cluttered, dark and dingy  places, anything to brighten below decks must have been welcome.

Shipman....I like what you are thinking.  That would make a good name for an Ale! 😀

2 hours ago, shipman said:

Dowmer hi.

I just had an amusing thought. Could that Spanish Brown be .... ALE? Here in England 'Brown Ale' has always been popular. That would account for the relatively high price?

Back to bulwarks; there are many Royal Navy accounts of weekly scrubbing of decks and bulwarks with water then 'vinegar', then whitewashing the 'walls'.

Being cluttered, dark and dingy  places, anything to brighten below decks must have been welcome. 

I agree that inside the ships they probably whitewashed.  Whitewashing was a coating mixture of chalked lime that was used to quickly give a uniform clean appearance to a wide variety of surfaces and had minor anti-microbial effects.  The discussion of the Spanish Brown was for internal bulwarks on the exposed weather decks or even possibly for outside the ship depending on the nationality and use (merchant etc).

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

And re: the presumed reason for painting  bulwarks red, i.e., to prevent panic by concealing blood and gore, which I never gave much credence to.  Perhaps this has led folks to assume bulwarks were a bright, fresh-blood color of red.  But, maybe the “red” was to help conceal the dark, brownish color of dried blood instead?  Spanish Brown would be just the ticket for concealing those stubborn hard-to-clean blood stains.  I don’t really believe this and continue to think paint color was selected based on CO, XO, or bosun’s preference, local availability, and cost (and later by regulation).  Fun discussion.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by el cid