Meteor by Jim Lad - Scale 1:96 - Immigrant Ship Of 1851

It's about time for another small update on the 'Meteor'.  I haven't got much done as the last time at the museum I was doing a bit of guiding instead of model making, but at least she's grown slightly since last time.  As you can see from the photo below, my pile of frame blanks is slowly growing.  I'll very soon have to build a framing jig and start rough shaping and actually fitting frames!

John

DSC01229.thumb.JPG.3cc824b2b08a7ba5da9b70750a60e26d.JPG

There is progress as long as the pile is growing John :) 

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 3 months later...

It's been a long, long time between drinks, but at last there's something to show on the Meteor.

We were away in England for a couple of months taking care of Pam's aging mother and then various life events have prevented much progress on the model, but at least some frames are now roughed out and I've actually erected the first few frames.  The chocks between the frames are pretty rough, but they will be completely hidden on the finished model, so I haven't tried to make them absolutely accurate.

My framing jig is of my usual 'Heath-Robinson' variety - I don't like spending more time than is necessary in building jigs - but it works - which is really all you can ask from a jig!

Below are a few photos with three frames erected.

John

95254 - Meteor 1200x899.JPG

95255 - Meteor 1200x899.JPG

95256 - Meteor 1200x899.JPG

Nice start John.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

John, looks like you are off to a great start. I will be following along. What kind of woods are you using?

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

John:

That is a great start. She is going to be very full figured. :)

Russ

John - rather late to the party in terms of finding your build log but looking forward to following along on this fascinating project. To date all of my models have been from kits but I keep thinking about trying my hand at a scratch build. I hope to find a subject that will have the personal attachment for me that the 'Meteor' has for you.

Bob

Nice delicate frames John. What did you use to cut them.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Great to see you back in the dockyard John, a great start.  I am of the same mindset with jigs, they do not need to be complicated, or even pretty - just effective.  Yours seems to very efficient for the task at hand and even looks good :)

cheers

Pat

Caught up with you John. Rather clean work and delicate. 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

1 hour ago, Jim Lad said:

the cutting is by a jeweller's hand saw and sandpaper sticks!

John this is one of my favourite ways to cut small things.

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

It's great to see you back, John.  The model is looking grand.   I hope you have a wonderful holiday season.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

John.

Don't mention the cricket, or rugby league for that matter. Much better to mention Rugby Union.

Have a happy Christmas.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Even there you need an Aussie coach Keith ;):)

Merry Christmas John, look forward to your future updates re Meteor

cheers

Pat

Merry Christmas John.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I dunno......if you look back at some of the build slips I've made in the past,  yours is just as stellar,  as the models you produce!  glad to see you back and off to a great start!  :)    merry Christmas to you and Pam!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

*just snuckin in for a free seat at the front, shhh, don't mind me, I'll only watch while you carry on*

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

John:

The framing looks good. I am looking forward to seeing the ends of the hull develop. That will say a lot about how the planking will flow.

Russ

• 4 weeks later...

Not so much an update, as a reason for there being no updates!  The museum is about to undergo major renovations to the front of the building and the area where our model making desk used to sit is about to become a new lift (elevator for our American members).  We have therefore been moved to a temporary location downstairs for the duration and my last visits to the museum have been concerned with the move - both talking to people about what's going on and actually moving models.  We don't have our new storage cupboard as yet - that's supposed to be fitted on Monday - so probably my next visit will be taken up with moving some of our junk from the old storage cupboard to the new. :huh:

This is our old location.  The desk has gone but some of the models under construction are still in the display cabinet.

5a628b978de02_DSC034851200x899.thumb.JPG.c58957c11a9ee207758f68e43bb543b2.JPG

Our new location already sporting a desk and a display cabinet that the curators have emptied out so we can store our models.  George the electrician has installed some very good lights for us now that we don't have any natural light.

5a628b9d123e3_DSC034891200x899.thumb.JPG.80fad14491f7dda4c45fded5dc85812a.JPG5a628ba238613_DSC034901200x899.thumb.JPG.863e47851b6aba4dc289f0fcd0c8b1ef.JPG

Hopefully you will still get some visitors to talk to in the 'hold' John?

cheers

Pat