husky1943

Just a couple of Sailors talking

Howdy everyone,

Just figured I would share a little story that happened today;  I was sitting in my office, and a fellow worker whose office is situated where we pretty much can see each other across the narrow passageway if we both lean back at the correct angles. So my co-worker asks me - "Hey, have you ever sailed?"  I answered, "No.  I don't even know how to sail."  He responded, "Me neither, but I think I am going to take a class."  

Here's the funny part.  He is an active-duty Navy Chief with about 16 years or more in, and I am a retired First Class that did 20 years active duty and has almost 35 years total service.  Between us, I don't know how many "cruises" (some services call them deployments) we have done, but neither one of us know how to sail a boat.  Giggle

Anyway, thought I would share....

Ciao for now

Rob

trippwj, mtaylor, Jack12477 and 4 others like this

Hey Henry,

Yup, We "Sailors," huh?  And yes, let the good times roll!  (I Love New Orleans) even though Mobile, Alabama has an older Mardi Gras tradition than New Orleans!

Ciao for now

Rob

Canute, mtaylor, trippwj and 1 other like this

Howdy John,

Were you a merchant marine or did you work on sailing boats?  My brother-in-law used to be the Chief Machinist on different Princess Cruise Lines.  They were all Italian, and the food in the Officer's Mess was OUTSTANDING!  (Dang it, now I'm hungry for pasta....)

Ciao for now

Rob

Canute, mtaylor and thibaultron like this

I thought boat-training (including sailing) was part of the training in the navy ... but then the navy didn't want me, so I only have outside knowledge.

Took an inland water sailing certificate, when I was 16 and have been sailing on and off since, more off actually.

husky1943, mtaylor, Canute and 1 other like this

Howdy wefalck,

Perhaps in the French Navy, it's required.  However, in the US Navy, it's only required if a Sailor's job is to drive the boat, moor/launch the boat or maintain her skin.  Otherwise, no sailing knowledge required.

Ciao for now 

Canute, mtaylor and thibaultron like this

I am not French (though living here), but German. There used to be boat-training in the German navy, using the large launches that also could be sailed (with two lugger-sails). Not sure what the training covered (rowing, steering, steering under sail ?) and whether it was for everyone.

Somehow it sounds strange that a navy-guy shouldn't know how to handle a (sailing) boat ... should have asked my grandfather how it was in the Imperial Navy before WW1, but I was too young, when he died. Somehow, I have the feeling, however, that he wouldn't have known either, being a torpedo-mechanic.

Canute, mtaylor, husky1943 and 1 other like this

I learned to sail while in the Navy but not from the Navy. I was a dental tech stationed at Bremerton WA. I was watching a small boat class from shore when the kids asked me if I wanted to come out. I said sure and learned from the class. Eventually married the girl who asked me to go sailing.

Howdy,

Okay, jud, that is close then.   When my daughter went through in GLakes, she learned fire-fighting on the Buttercup, I think.  I'm with Bill.  I was a Mineman and then cross-rated to Legalman.  What they heck would a DT, MN or LN need to know to sail a ship?  Just give me a GQ locker and I'd be nozzleman!  I know that two LN's died on the IOWA when No.2(?) turret blew up.  They couldn't sail, but knew how to handle powder bags and ordnance!  God rest their souls!

Ciao for now

Omega1234, Canute, reklein and 1 other like this