Recovered modeler

Greetings! I'm an American international management consultant, currently assigned to Cairo Egypt. I was introduced to ship modeling with an incomplete solid wood model of the Flying Fish when I was in HS. a few years later, I worked on the Cutty Sark and the Charles W. Morgan. I'm also a stained glass artist, so at some point will be providing some ideas on working with copper strips, since these are an integral part of stained glass work.

I've got two projects underway, the first being Amati's Egyptian Transport, from ca. 4,000 BC. While that model is based on carvings in a tomb, excavations at the Khufu (great) pyramid discovered two boats from ca 4200, almost in good enough condition to float today. At some point, when I get to a build log on the Egyptian Transport, I'll add pictures of the original ship. (the second ship is still being reconstructed and waiting a new home in the expanded Egyptian Museum. They're interesting because the planks (from the cedars of Lebanon) were primarily sewn together rather than being pegged. The Khufu boats are the oldest surviving wooden boats in the world.

About a year ago I started Model Shipways' USF Essex, and I've gotten the hull planked (but not completely shaped) and am about to start installing the deck. Hope to join the Essex blogs in a few days.

Anyway, here's a start to the conversation...

Welcome back to the world of model ship blogs, I am particularly fond of the Egyptian boats. The beautifully illustrated book "ships of the Egyptian Pharaohs" by Bjorn Landstrom is one of my favourites. I also have the "boat beneath the Pyramid", Text by Nancy Jenkins Photographs by John Ross

IMG_1918x800.jpg.569af4e82a4dcfb228ee8e96ce2a1dfc.jpg

A name would be good far traveler 

Regards Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hello FarTraveler and welcome  aboard,

Can you please tell us your real name?

Good luck with your projects.

I wish you smooth sailing and happy modelling.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Warm :sign:

Tips and tricks regarding how to work copper will be great.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome to MSW!! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your tips for working with copper as new ideas are always welcome. Your Egyptian boat builds also sound very interesting as they are outside the normal builds that we see everyday. Best of luck to you and I look forward to seeing pictures of your work! 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:21 AM, FarTraveler said:

I'm Dan Blumhagen. I typically use a pseudonym because I've worked in so many hostile environments.

Dan,

This is a pretty non-hostile environment here.  Occasionally you will see a low level barroom brawl break out, but that is merely a friendly disagreement among passionate ship modelers.  Welcome aboard!!

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

:sign:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Dan, welcome. Will be interested in seeing your Egyptian build.

:piratebo5:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Welcome, Dan.

My avatar is a photo of me and the Admiral, taken in November, 2011.  Since you are in Cairo, you may appreciate the story.

We signed up for a tour of Egypt and Jordan scheduled for the first week of February, 2011.  but the uprising on January 25 caused a change in plans; the tour operator offered a refund, or reschedule to the fall.

We still wanted to see the sights, and their elections were to be in September, so we rescheduled for November.

We got there just in time for the delayed elections, and it was an absolutely fascinating trip.  We saw all the sights, (with very small tourist crowds), and also the run-up to the elections.  We were in Luxor on election day.  There was a bit of additional security, but we never felt personally threatened or unsafe.  All the demonstrations and government reactions were "internal business" and tourists were made to feel welcome even by some demonstrators at the Alexandria Library that came over to our group to talk to us and tell us the Library was open and feel free to go in...

I'm glad we went when we did - it's been sounding a bit less enjoyable since then.

All the best,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hey howya goin mate welcome.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.