Prince de Neufchatel by Heronguy - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

this looks really neat Doug......I've see more stands being assembled like this ;)   I might even give this a try!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Doug, you won't have problems with it being strong enough. I made something similar for my Armed Virginia Sloop. It doesn't even have the brass support rods and it works perfectly. I'm going to build this one for my PdeN as well.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

• 3 weeks later...

<delete>

Edited by Heronguy

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Almost exactly a year ago I decided to build the little ship's boat that comes with the kit (I wasn't going to start for main ship's build but want'ed to play).  I got part way on that fiddly little boat but ran into some challenges.  

One for PdN builders to be aware of I documented in a PM to @Azzoun.  It has  to do with the spacing of the rib formers on the keel.  He posted it the info here.  

Although I pushed on with the boat build for a while I had great trouble getting decent results.  Partly it was a problem trying to bend the 1/16" square basswood but mostly it was my lack of experience and patience.  I put the little boat on the shelf.

IMG_0768.jpg.a9c35c80fe024507d6c0202de8b53e5c.jpg

Unfortunately (or not?) things don't always stay on shelves where you put them.  The little boat skeleton was broken in a fall so I put it further back on the shelf where is has stayed for months.  Thinking I would abandon it I saw that Model Expo sold the kits for these little boats as stand-alone projects.  Since my assembly instructions called it a 5-Incn Typical Ship's Boat  I order the 5" version from ME.

Here is a comparison of the 2 laser cut sheets for the original (top of photo - from my PdN kit), and the one just received (bottom one on photo)IMG_2870.jpg.a06d3e81cf3526593cf22c0db29fbeaa.jpg

here is a comparison of the 2 partially assembled

IMG_2873.jpg.bd95819bc6800ae68c63b9e217bf8a8c.jpg

I think this is a clear demonstration of the expansion of the universe.  - the new 5" boat is much larger that the old one - what other explanation could there be!

Advice for little boat builders.  If you're building the one from your kit firstly measure the spacing of the rib formers on the keel before building the jig.  Secondly look carefully at rib former #1 (it's labelled) to make sure that it is smaller that the other 3 - mine isn't and it makes it impossible to plank the hull.  Thirdly if your rib former #1 is the correct size realize that using the building jig which makes the top of these formers (top when the boat is in floating orientation - bottom in construction orientation) level will leave a gap preventing you from attaching the rib to the keel without some shimming.

IMG_2868.jpg.f979abd753332095faded6f1e67c5190.jpg

Fourthly, consider throwing out the basswood 1/16" square stock and using some wood that takes bends more easily (I'm using walnut). Fifthly, don't expect to get the lovely sheer line shown on the plans since the building jig makes the run from rib 2 to 4 level (probably not big issue).

IMG_2871.jpg.65e765a26411d6111d5b5f43a4cc4a05.jpg

I'm going to build the bigger one before I decide if the smaller one can be salvaged by some changes to rib former #1.  Otherwise it will be back to ME for the 4-1/4 inch boat which I believe is the size in the PdN kit

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Hi Doug,

Thanks for sharing your experience with this little boat kit. It will be helpful for me when I get to that stage. I have started my PdeN - (built log will begin soon, I just have to get to a point where I'm not embarrassed to photograph what I have done, and I'm not quite there yet!)  Already I have discovered a number of anomalies with this kit which I'll refer to when I start my build log.

David

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

It will be good to have your observations.  I still stumble onto problems when confronted with them - haven’t developed enough experience and insight to foretell them!  I’ll get there though.

PdN has become popular.  Hurray!

Doug

2 hours ago, Heronguy said:

Almost exactly a year ago I decided to build the little ship's boat that comes with the kit (I wasn't going to start for main ship's build but want'ed to play).  I got part way on that fiddly little boat but ran into some challenges.  

One for PdN builders to be aware of I documented in a PM to @Azzoun.  It has  to do with the spacing of the rib formers on the keel.  He posted it the info here.  

Although I pushed on with the boat build for a while I had great trouble getting decent results.  Partly it was a problem trying to bend the 1/16" square basswood but mostly it was my lack of experience and patience.  I put the little boat on the shelf.

IMG_0768.jpg.a9c35c80fe024507d6c0202de8b53e5c.jpg

Unfortunately (or not?) things don't always stay on shelves where you put them.  The little boat skeleton was broken in a fall so I put it further back on the shelf where is has stayed for months.  Thinking I would abandon it I saw that Model Expo sold the kits for these little boats as stand-alone projects.  Since my assembly instructions called it a 5-Incn Typical Ship's Boat  I order the 5" version from ME.

Here is a comparison of the 2 laser cut sheets for the original (top of photo - from my PdN kit), and the one just received (bottom one on photo)IMG_2870.jpg.a06d3e81cf3526593cf22c0db29fbeaa.jpg

here is a comparison of the 2 partially assembled

IMG_2873.jpg.bd95819bc6800ae68c63b9e217bf8a8c.jpg

I think this is a clear demonstration of the expansion of the universe.  - the new 5" boat is much larger that the old one - what other explanation could there be!

Advice for little boat builders.  If you're building the one from your kit firstly measure the spacing of the rib formers on the keel before building the jig.  Secondly look carefully at rib former #1 (it's labelled) to make sure that it is smaller that the other 3 - mine isn't and it makes it impossible to plank the hull.  Thirdly if your rib former #1 is the correct size realize that using the building jig which makes the top of these formers (top when the boat is in floating orientation - bottom in construction orientation) level will leave a gap preventing you from attaching the rib to the keel without some shimming.

IMG_2868.jpg.f979abd753332095faded6f1e67c5190.jpg

Fourthly, consider throwing out the basswood 1/16" square stock and using some wood that takes bends more easily (I'm using walnut). Fifthly, don't expect to get the lovely sheer line shown on the plans since the building jig makes the run from rib 2 to 4 level (probably not big issue).

IMG_2871.jpg.65e765a26411d6111d5b5f43a4cc4a05.jpg

I'm going to build the bigger one before I decide if the smaller one can be salvaged by some changes to rib former #1.  Otherwise it will be back to ME for the 4-1/4 inch boat which I believe is the size in the PdN kit

Most frustrating kit in the world.....burned four of them and called “ No Mas” on the basswood. Here is the secret....dump the basswood and get syrene plastic strips the same size. Bends easy.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

22 minutes ago, Jim Rogers said:

Most frustrating kit in the world.....burned four of them and called “ No Mas” on the basswood. Here is the secret....dump the basswood and get syrene plastic strips the same size. Bends easy.

Thanks for the heads up Jim.

I had to walk away from it a short while ago - frustrated!  I take from your comment that it isn’t going to get more fun!  Ah well.

Doug

you'll muddle through it Doug.......once you fine the right method,  it will go much better.   I've seen many way to build these small boats....I'm not that great at them either.  keep in mind....when you see the finished boat,  your going to wonder what you were worried about.

remember Doug and David...build logs not only show your triumphs,   but they also can yield good advice to make you better modelers.

I might suggest moving all of the bulkheads further back on the keel,  to give the first bulkhead,  the one connected to the bow stem,  the ability to better taper the bow.  it also looks like it might not do to build it with the ribbing.......create the shell and add in the ribs afterwards.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working slowly on the ship's boat. Although not finished I have made some progress.

As a relief from the frustrations of the MS ship's boat I started a small side project to build the Dusek's Ship's Boat.  (€12 with free shipping).  I have also gone back the the smaller MS ship's boat to see if I can finish it.

First the 5" ship's boat.

After the ribs were set I added the sheer rail also from walnut.

IMG_2876.jpg.66f5ce2d9ff45b1f114072e2c335e564.jpg

Notice how far the rail is from the bow bulwark.  I just lived with that.

IMG_2874.jpg.751c8860de556a4df16f061b49f8af96.jpg

The rails were not very smooth or symmetrical at either the bow or the stern but I just pushed on - too many redo's on this fragile frame are not in my repertoire.

IMG_2887.jpg.d4d8cbbb8e17eb751db9fb09fdcb5df1.jpg

On to planking.  I had to do the usual planking job - tapering the strakes at the bow and stern - and find ways of clamping this little guy - mostly finger pressure.

IMG_2895.jpg.0e07451749dd7cc1069cf9f9bb08938b.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg.cbefc878decb91404ea540a662bfdcd7.jpg

Planking complete but the hull is very thin and still has gaps - I used polyfilla spackling for filler.  At least it looked like a boat.

DSC_9866.jpg.301fee0e34de22fc94c84b4766f5f887.jpg

DSC_9867.jpg.bc592dfb965d55ab3eaffa3b728e1e3f.jpg

I decided to add a 2nd layer of planking using some leftover wood from the Bluenose II.  I'd have been happier to have some skinnier strips but I wasn't going to try to slice them.  I think it turned out OK.

IMG_2950.jpg.39dd8bfab65f112e5c9617d4f5c50f8e.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg.19465fd1553f432e277c47fd0abb305d.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg.fc5daee93be787425e4448ff43984520.jpg

I've added a second strip to the sheer rail to create somme overhang outboard, and started to add the rest of the ribs.

IMG_2956.jpg.5630bc87f6868f2afca347781e08a419.jpgIMG_2959.jpg.e69ef653f38d48da3200672ced5d8076.jpg

Still to do:  Finish ribs, add some floorboards and seats, bow platform and rudder.  Then apply some finishes.  To be continued.

IMG_2909.jpg

Doug

The Dusek's ship boat is a really nice break from the MS boat.

The ribs and keel former went together very easily.

IMG_2886.jpg.6347e22b1540f5588408a2b64f49910f.jpg

IMG_2890.jpg.e618bfb0da9f0fcef61029237a9c71b1.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg.1b48ed7543355eaaf085b65b40687855.jpg

The floorboards are etched onto some thin, shaped pear sheet.  Very strong and looks great.

IMG_2894.jpg.2564739d4ff6007e0b8bc9c25eebde2b.jpg

An application of tung oil  really brings up the beauty of the wood.  The laser cutting is very precise and everything has gone together easily.

IMG_2907.jpg.728722c05f3a284aa07277d7c0fbc30a.jpg

Currently working on the planking.  All the strakes are laser cut and spiled.  

IMG_2962.jpg.741cb08279741cda03441f54d505774d.jpg

It is still a challenge to get a close smooth fit.  I had hoped to be able to finish the hull in natural wood (this pear wood is very nice!) but I think some filler will be required and I may have to paint the hull.

IMG_2963.jpg.9b683e5f4519e49a72d87b47c5b02ac5.jpg

I highly recommend this build and at the price it is well worth it.

Doug

ya did good Doug.......they are not the easiest to make.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Doug,

I think that boat will look just great once you get a finish on it and it's placed on the deck. The second layer of planking looks like a good idea. It sure appears to be a challenging little project though. I'm leaving mine to the very end, plus I think I've already used up some of its wood framing in my bulwarks. The Dusek looks very beautiful and I know you can buy them from Model Shipways, so I'm glad to know there are some options should my first attempt fail. 

David

That is so much nicer than the kit boat, nice work so far on it Doug. I tossed the kit boat right away when I built PdN. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

• 2 weeks later...

I remember struggling with this life boat and giving up on it after a couple of trys. Which is why in a fit of frustration I bought and the cast one from Amanti that i ended up using on my build. I've been complementing add one off the stern. And if I go that route, it'll be another one of these.  

http://www.amatimodel.com/en/accessories/fittings-and-accessories/wooden-metal-lifeboats

Pushing on with the little boats.  I won't use either for the PdN build but I'm taking each a bit further.  

I'm now convinced that I can build a Model Expo ship's boat (and I have a kit on order to prove that conjecture).  I think I've made enough mistakes on the one's 2 I've built so far that I'm running out of goofs to try out :default_wallbash:.

Here's where  the "prototype" is at the moment.  This one is the 2nd-planked version. 

IMG_3007.jpg.103a28d10685db3e18b562de0cc54496.jpgIMG_3008.jpg.d18ea8a1eecc7db8bed1b6e05318264c.jpg

The original Model Expo boat that I was building last year has also come along.  I decided to use some boxwood strips that came in a package of miscellaneous pieces from Crown Timber yard for the planking.  it was nice to work with boxwood - it was my 1st experience with it.  I won't bother taking this little build any further.

IMG_2982.jpg.70ac7be224817a067690d172a836f343.jpgIMG_2984.jpg.7c714a9638981297962ace37cb45dbda.jpg

The Dusek's ship boat side project came together pretty well - the planking was a bit more challenging that I hoped so I'll end up filling and then painting the outer hull.  I still recommend the kit if you want a little break from other builds.  There is still a few details to finish on this build.

IMG_3004.jpg.95db96a9cbf01c28013a366ec309d59a.jpg

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

I put the ship's boats aside for a while and went on to the deck furnishings.

IMG_3002.jpg.b031e6ed724c66dff8e855fac4c57758.jpg

IMG_3125.jpg.eb5b67274775aa3276b265ff01fdbae2.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg.af0524653ad42fcd8d7279acc30d9a13.jpg

IMG_3129.jpg.ec4653dfc919b9fa1e8ec6bb56fd130c.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg.967f8d129523ce11d6ec71c88c1f4544.jpg

They look so plain (especially the forward companionway) that I am tempted to try to do better.  @Tim I. did such a great job on his interpretation of the cabin and companionway in Philip Reed's book (Period Ship Modelmaking - An Illustrated Masterclass) that I will try to do similarly.

IMG_3204.jpg.ad3ff5a6537578a940c5be47a9660633.jpg

IMG_3203.jpg.eef5843e4bed34fb067be81c025e94ff.jpg

Just started on that process

IMG_3183.jpg.b62aa3153b6f830a711431c28831ec0a.jpg

IMG_3135.jpg.a925c27fdae123b506408a8c6ef4eafe.jpg

IMG_3186.jpg.2e7c31b461c13fae14eee4df134cf1ee.jpg

Doug

Guest Tim I.

Doug,

Good luck on your new companionways. I really enjoy Philip Reed's book, with all the illustrations and depictions of extra detail.

I have been picking at my PdN for close to four years now. It was the first ship kit I purchased, and over the years have built other ships, but this one continues to be a challenge for me.

I am enjoying following your log, and am looking forward to seeing how your new companionways come out.

- Tim I.

Thank you Tim.  I've followed you love/hate relationship with your build (I know it is a bit strong to describe it that way).  I must assume that your standards are much higher than mine - I really like what you're accomplishing with it.

Doug

really nice job with fitting out the deck.......it's one of my more enjoyable parts of any build ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

On 2018-04-18 at 11:46 AM, popeye the sailor said:

really nice job with fitting out the deck.......it's one of my more enjoyable parts of any build ;) 

I haven't yet developed any affection for deck fittings but then again most of my model ship building has involved planking hulls! I really have to move on to the rest of the ship! I gather you enjoy fitting out the decks, your builds always have pretty cool fittings - something to learn from.

Doug

• 6 months later...

It has been a long hot summer and most if it has been away from the shipyard.  Nevertheless there has been a bit of progress.

I've finally committed to a companionway and main cabin design.  

Of the two implementations:

IMG_3799.jpg.d194974cf001acee8ebd32cbd92ec2bd.jpg

IMG_3796.jpg.5c3b16809ea27f138ba2dde93a479d5f.jpg

IMG_3802.jpg.7ee84fb5d41239690d54c8bc5f026a7d.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg.240c2248d6185f8699dd5fc2ca62e228.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg.3f96d6ff6452b38233f59f2c5d5ce841.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg.3f96d6ff6452b38233f59f2c5d5ce841.jpg

IMG_3801.jpg.62e0369bacf51a45f049c320bb162c61.jpg

I chose:

IMG_3833.jpg.a4a8b7f09a0ed89a8b074c94b7057c5e.jpg

IMG_3835.jpg.e16d83387f3f4583e919f4792aaca2da.jpg

The cabin and companionway and well as the hatches were made from boxwood milled here.

In addition I mounted the hull on the launchways.

Doug

On to building the armaments.  I will use the kit supplied carronades and carriages

A simple jig to hold the carriage sides was made by slightly widening the kerf from the table saw.

IMG_3869.jpg.93dbc244cb0fd541ac92496c85043089.jpg

IMG_3874.jpg.8b9b422dac843d4e12e2825e969dfd2d.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg.fbfeeaba7de14b62804eb920ca8cb5dd.jpg

The brass carronades and long guns were blackened with Casey "Brass Black"

IMG_3879.jpg.0a6c9ac49eba38ccd5b24dd85eb81958.jpg

Assembly to follow.

Doug

splendid progress Doug........she's look'in really good!  nice choice of fixtures ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: