Greetings from Oxford

Hello all.

My name is George, and I am a first year student reading law at the Queen's College, Oxford. I hail originally from Cheltenham, a small spa town not far away. I have over the years constructed many plastic models kits, including some of naval subjects, and having built several such kits concluded that the time was right to step into the world of wooden model ship building.

To facilitate this beginning, my parents very kindly gifted me for my just-passed 20th birthday the Constructo Enterprise kit, a ship I selected for its seemingly appropriate level of complexity and for its suitability as a component of my grander ambition of filling a shelf unit with every vessel named Enterprise from sail to starship. 

I shall commence construction at the conclusion of term, the 19th March, and have until then to assemble a basic roster of tools to facilitate construction. I already possess a simple craft knife, basic sanding tools and a pin hammer from my existing model kit work, but have set aside a budget of approximately £100 to acquire further tools based on recommendations from this forum. 

Any advice you could provide on this or any other matter related to model ship construction would be most gratefully received, and I hope to enjoy contributing to this forum for many years to come. 

Hi George,

Welcome to Model Ship World.  First off, forget everything you have learned about plastic model ship building.  You are in a whole new world with wood.  I learnt that lesson the hard way.  Secondly, there are several posts that discuss tools.  One place to look is here 

http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-materials-and-tools.php

Please start a build log and post pictures of your progress.  There are some very darn good modelers here that can help, guide and encourage you along the way.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thank you for the link Derek. I had a search through the forum for a tool thread but somehow managed to miss that one. My thanks also for your advice; I am more than prepared to disregard all my existing knowledge about plastic modelling, and look forward to the new challenge of working with wood on such a tiny scale.

With my Scouting troop I have previously assisted in the construction of canoes, and I possess courtesy of my grandfather some basic joinery and more general woodworking skills that I hope shall in combination allow me to get started successfully.

I shall initiate a build log once I have begun the building procedure. 

Hello George and welcome aboard,

This is a great site for learning/sharing tips and techniques.
As Derek said, If needed, you'll find plenty of help, advise and encouragement from everyone. 

I wish you smooth sailing with our gallant crew.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Greetings George from Mike in Milton Keynes.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Hello George,

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice to know of another OU person on the hobby. I look forward to your build log. Don't hold back on the questions as you come across difficulties -- there's no such thing as a stupid question on this forum and you'll receive lots of help.

Tony

Chiming in with a big

:sign:

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hello George

I'm very encouraged to hear that handcrafts remain of interest in the modern world of virtual reality. Good luck with the build.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 2 weeks later...

My thanks for all of your kind welcomes, and my apologies for not providing individual responses to each and ever commenter. 

On 03/03/2017 at 5:07 AM, tkay11 said:

Nice to know of another OU person on the hobby.

Thankyou Tony. Which college did/do you attend?

On 03/03/2017 at 4:16 PM, KeithAug said:

I'm very encouraged to hear that handcrafts remain of interest in the modern world of virtual reality.

Indeed Keith. Though I do enjoy some virtual reality pursuits, the majority of my hobbies concern handcrafts of one form or another. There are a growing number of people my age seeking to learn such skills, which is most gratifying to see, and I endeavour to evangelise the value of handcrafts to my peers whenever possible.

On 03/03/2017 at 4:58 PM, probablynot said:

Constructo's 'Enterprise' was my own (second) kit build.  It should provide you with plenty of fun, and quite a few challenges. 

Hopefully it shall Brian. I actually read your build log in its entirety (as well as one or two others on this forum) when deciding on which kit to purchase. I shall certainly refer to it as I begin and continue the build.

Once again, my thanks to all for their greetings. I plan to commence construction this Friday, the 17th March, and shall initiate a build log at that time. 

I was at Balliol. My daughter was at Queen's, though.

Tony

HI George.

Welcome to MSW.

All the Enterprises that one large collection.

A bunch good tips... Keep your blades very sharp. Read other members builds . Dry fit first. Ask for advice. Take your time. Enjoy.

All the best from Devon.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

George - hello and welcome! I, myself, am finding working with wood a whole new experience from plastic and I'm working on a very basic kit. There are some fantastic modelers in here that can offer some great tips and advice when needed. They have certainly helped me get where I am with my skills. Smooth sailing on your Enterprise!

Robert O

• 2 weeks later...

Hey howya goin mate welcome.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.