ChrisLBren

74 Gun Ship by ChrisLBren - Boudriot/Lemineur - 1/48 Scale

Hey Group,

I am very excited to introduce my next project - which has been a life long dream of mine.  Confederacy should be wrapped up by the end of March and I was going to wait to announce this one until she is finished.  However in the past two days I have come across wood worthy of this project.  It is from a tree that was felled by a big storm in 2000 in France.  Here is an article that references the event:

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/jan/14/news/mn-53961

Whether this wood is actually from the Estate of Versailles can not be confirmed - it is however from this region.  I have a facility near me that will be assisting me -  milling it to spec for my build.  I've attached some photos of the flitch as is before shipping.  You can see he ran a planer across the boards to show the beauty underneath.

I am very flattered to be assisted by an esteemed modeler who I have long admired - you can probably guess his name - he's building this same ship for a fourth time in a much larger scale...

p4.JPG

p3.JPG

p2.JPG

p1 (1).JPG

Rustyj, mtaylor, gjdale and 12 others like this

That's a whole lota log! And with a history.... We look forward to your log, Chris.

Jeronimo and mtaylor like this

A log based on a log to make a ship.  This should be fascinating.  I'm going to follow along, Chris.   

BTW, what kind of wood is it?

Hi Chris.

I am already looking forward to the pictures of the construction

of a beautiful ship.

Karl:10_1_10:

mtaylor and zoly99sask like this

i take a chair...a 74 gun ship with pearwood who may be touch by louis the fourteen...

mtaylor likes this

I'm in too. This will be good!

mtaylor likes this

This is one I will not miss. Now that is what I call scratch build.

mtaylor likes this

Thanks for the comments and encouragement everyone !  I should have more photos when the wood arrives next week before and after milling.  

mtaylor likes this

Well this is one I won't miss. Good luck and lots of enjoyment!!

mtaylor likes this

I am going to the "butcher" today with the wood - here is a photo of the lumber in my workshop pre milling.  I am reserving the ones on the left for planking and other projects - the ones on the right will be used for framing.  Ill post some photos later today.  

Wood.JPG

Back from the "butcher" - Jody was unbelievably good milling the wood and saved me a lot of trouble and sawdust.  Here are the results 78 blanks - 25 inches long by 1 and 3/4 wide by 1/4 thick (he left on and extra 1/64 on each side for final finishing for all of the frames. I also have 6 boards of the same dimension but 3/8 thick for the keel and its associated parts.  Based on my estimates it should be enough to fully frame a 74 in 1/48 but who knows ?  I have two boards remaining on sticks for mistakes -  another 12.5 board foot to be exact.  

All in I spent 550 for wood including shipping (100lbs of wood from my dealer in  Maine), 80 dollars to mill with tip - and maybe a story re Versailles if my wood dealer is to be believed.  Regardless this is beautiful wood - I hope to do her justice/respect with this build...  

Milled 2.JPG

Milled.JPG

Wood 5.JPG

Jeronimo, dvm27, tadheus and 10 others like this

Well, there's your raw material. You are ready to set to! Looking forward to seeing the transformation from sticks to ship.

Jeronimo, ChrisLBren and mtaylor like this

That is some nice looking wood and will make some nice looking frames, Chris.   How soon before the sawdust flys?

Thanks man ! No sawdust will fly until I finish Chuck's Confederacy. If you would have asked me 7 years ago that I would source my own flitch, mill it and prepare for a fully framed 74 build - I would have laughed. Chuck's Confederacy gave me the confidence to fully embrace scratch building - and I can't wait to display his designed Confederacy completed. 

Tigersteve, druxey, Rustyj and 3 others like this

You got me smiling, Chris.   :)

This is great news Chris and I know you'll do a fantastic job. Can't wait to see your work. 

mtaylor likes this

Pear is a beautiful carving wood as well. Maybe you could use some of it for the carved decorations. When's the ship from?

mtaylor likes this

That is a really good deal for a pear of this size! I thought that shipping alone would be close to what you paid for everything combined.

Pulling a chair, feels like the great build is coming!

mtaylor likes this

Chris,

You have my best wishes for (and expectations of) a fabulous build and if it's even close to your Confederacy we're all in for real treat.

I have one question, I am under the impression that "Swiss Pear" is pear which has been steamed (or somehow treated) to get the pale pink color.  It looks like you will be using natural wood.  Will it darken and take on deeper color like cherry over time?  Thanks.

Best,

John

mtaylor and Mike Y like this

That's a lot of very pretty wood there Chris, look forward to seeing this build start.

ben

druxey and mtaylor like this

Thanks for the comments and encouragement - to answer your question re the color - this flitch feels a lot lighter than the Swiss Pear I  bought for Confederacy from Jeff Hayes.  But Jeff's wood has been in my shop for years now - so it could have darkened.  I've attached a photo for comparison

IMG_3305.JPG

SimonV, Mike Y and mtaylor like this

Nearly all wood species darken over time with exposure to light and air. After a few years holly looks like boxwood!

mtaylor and Mike Y like this