Worldway

Lauck Street Shipyard

35 posts in this topic

Joel,

As I understand it, even Fr. Romero's practicums have errors and issues.   

Nirvana, Canute, jbshan and 1 other like this

31 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Joel,

As I understand it, even Fr. Romero's practicums have errors and issues.   

I suspect that when you set yourself up to be an expert instructor that others' expectations can exceed the instructor.

Yep... I daresay you are correct.

23 minutes ago, jbshan said:

I suspect that when you set yourself up to be an expert instructor that others' expectations can exceed the instructor.

Jaxboat, Canute, Nirvana and 1 other like this

23 hours ago, jbshan said:

As far as practici are concerned, I am a complete newbie.  I've seen only a couple of articles in the literature by Fr. Romero, which seemed to be quite involved, but accurate.

Please, those who have built from one, especially one of Bob's, aside from personality clashes, do the expanded instructions work?  Can you buy the kit and practicum and be able to build the model?

I found that the Bluenose practicum was a good starting point for me starting out on my first wooden model.  I used it to get through the initial skeleton assembly , and planking the hull and deck.  I started the deck furniture using it but quickly discovered that it did not follow the plan very well, not did it match the color scheme from the plan.  From that point on I referenced it, but did not rely on it in any way.  For rigging, it is not very thoughtful or true to the actual ship, but more of a Hunt "cookbook" of generic rigging instructions.

In short, it was good for a lone modeler (this was before I discovered MSW) to get started, but it was by no means a faithful or detailed guide to building the model from start to finish.

Bob

36 minutes ago, bhermann said:

I found that the Bluenose practicum was a good starting point for me starting out on my first wooden model.  I used it to get through the initial skeleton assembly , and planking the hull and deck.  I started the deck furniture using it but quickly discovered that it did not follow the plan very well, not did it match the color scheme from the plan.  From that point on I referenced it, but did not rely on it in any way.  For rigging, it is not very thoughtful or true to the actual ship, but more of a Hunt "cookbook" of generic rigging instructions.

In short, it was good for a lone modeler (this was before I discovered MSW) to get started, but it was by no means a faithful or detailed guide to building the model from start to finish.

Bob

I bought all of Bob Hunt's practicums because he offers a bundled deal.  I've been using his Bluenose practicum to build the MS Bluenose.  I've hesitated in engaging in this thread because I'm still early into the Bluenose build, using Hunt's practicum.

So far, at the planking stage, I've been very happy with the the Bluenose practicum (I can't comment on the other practicums because I've not used them yet).  As a complete novice builder, it's provided me with the hand holding that I feel I need.  As others have mentioned, having access to a practicum is different from reviewing build logs however helpful the building community might be.  The difference is not too different from reading a book to learn something and using google searches to learn the same thing.

With respect to the Bluenose practicum being faithful to the Bluenose build, I kept in mind the fact that Hunt wrote it SPECIFICALLY for ABSOLUTE newbie builders, like me.  So some steps have been simplified, etc.  That said, I've also read in this forum that Hunt generally (i.e. even in his practicums for more advanced builds) is less good about rigging.  I can see that being the case, as all of Hunt's POF models seem to be in the Admiralty style.  This is merely my observation, not a justification for Hunt's approach.

As for Hunt's personality "quirks," I should mention that I post regularly on his forums.  I like his practicum and think posting on his forum is a way to support his business.  I have, however, found from personal experience that he is fairly easily riled up.  His buttons can easily be pushed, he seems very emotional and he seems to allow his emotions to sometimes overwhelm himself, and he may have a persecution complex (:o).  But with a bit of emotional intelligence, it's fairly easy to anticipate what will set Hunt going.  If it's important to you (as it is to me) to support his community, you learn to avoid pushing his buttons.

For all I know, Hunt may read this forum and see this comment from me.  I'm not sure how he might react!  But it was important enough for me to provide my take on Bob Hunt and his practicums so long as it is helpful to others.

Rabi