Are you an NRG Member???

we just added a field to the profile.   If you wouldnt mind editing your profile to select and enter the info.

Basically it allows you to select if you are a full NRG member or an MSW member only.  If you are a full member of the NRG,  you can enter your membership #.   Your membership number can be found on the label of your Nautical research journal.   It is usually four digits.

Just click on account setting under your name and then select edit profile.   If you scroll down to the bottom you will see the selection area.   This will be important later should you be a full member of the guild....

It will display your choice under the location in each post....you can see how to the left under my location it says NRG Member.   Your NRG number will not be visible except to the staff and to you...

Chuck why is the membership for NRG for International membership more then the US people? By time you add the extra $12.00 US then convert it to my local money it goes up even more.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Cost for shipping the Nautical research Journal overseas.   But at some point there will be a digital version but that is some time off.  But shipping costs for the journal is quite high internationally.  Four issues per year.

Chuck

Oh thanks Chuck I thought it was digital. I will have to sign up when I get some free money.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

8 hours ago, Chuck said:

Cost for shipping the Nautical research Journal overseas.   But at some point there will be a digital version but that is some time off.  But shipping costs for the journal is quite high internationally.  Four issues per year.

Chuck

I'm curious... can the Journal be sent to members overseas as a PDF?  Or even stateside?  Maybe reduce the dues a bit?  By PDF via email it would solve some the delivery problems we've read about like for some, it takes a couple of months to get it to them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

As I mentioned.....an electronic version is coming at some point soon   But as it stands currently, no.  Think about the membership numbers if we were to just save the journal as a PDF and send it out without any protections.   One guy becomes a member and gets a PDF and then emails it to all the folks he knows in his local club or here on MSW for free.   Membership in the NRG would take a big hit.  So they are working on a more traditional and official electronic magazine subscription type thingy.  Its coming!!!  But I dont know too much about the details and Kurt or Toni can probably elaborate when they get more info together and closer to enacting.   But that is for another topic and another day.

Chuck, maybe a trivial question, I have checked both the NRG Member and the MSW Member.  I'm wondering if I should have just checked the NRG Member and left it at that or does it not matter.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

It doesnt matter.   Technically you are a member of both.    In fact its more accurate your way.   There are probably many NRG members who are not members of MSW and by checking both it lets folks know you are actually members for both.  It fine.

Thank you for doing so. :)

11 hours ago, Chuck said:

It will display your choice under the location in each post....you can see how to the left under my location it says NRG Member.   Your NRG number will not be visible except to staff...

So if we put our NRG number in there it looks like it shows up in our profile to the left here.  Is that number blocked out for others?

We are working on a digital version, but as Chuck described, we need to make it secure.  When the digital version is available the non USA members will be able to get the digital for the regular US member price as we do away with the mailing expenses.  Just a FYI - for less than 200 non USA members the mailing fees equal the mailing fees for the entire USA membership!  And the digital version will eliminate the mail lag - with some non USA members telling us that they routinely experience a 90 day delivery time.  Surprisingly, Canada has some of the biggest delays. 

When we get closer with a digital edition we will be explaining to members what is planned and how it will work.  One thing that is very important to many of our members, the print edition is NOT going away.  Members will have a choice of digital or print (or both) but the print edition is NOT going away.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Mind if I ask if there is a problem with your NRG number showing? 

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

James H wrote---

:default_wallbash::default_wallbash::default_wallbash:

---end of quote---

I was running a couple of wikis that were open to the entire world to read, but the only members allowed were those few actually writing them.  Ever get people pi***d off at you for not letting them join when they could have the same thing for free?  I did red, bold type, larger fonts, they still couldn't manage to read the notification.  You guys have my sympathy.

My subscription expired in February, and looking backwards on each issue there is no membership number.

And if I am not wrong I remember that my NRG membership is on hold until renewal of subscription.

Then I can enter my no.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

On 3/3/2017 at 6:15 AM, Chuck said:

Basically it allows you to select if you are a full NRG member or an MSW member only.  If you are a full member of the NRG,  you can enter your membership #.   Your membership number can be found on the label of your Nautical research journal.   It is usually four digits.

I'll enter the number if I remember to look for it the next time I get a journal, but (and maybe I'm strange for this) I certainly don't keep the plastic wrap that the journal comes in, and which the label is on, so I have no idea what my number is!  I even checked the email from when I renewed, but that doesn't have it either.  I also can't find any way on the NRG home site to find a membership number.

Perhaps I got something when I first joined a couple years ago and didn't keep it.  In the mean time, other than the label that gets thrown away with the wrapper when I get my journal, I don't see any way to find my number.

The NRG Membership Number is above your name on the mailing label.  The mailing label is affixed to the Secretary's Newsletter (SNL) facing out from inside the plastic mailing sleeve.  The labels are not affixed to the Journals so that the covers are not defaced. 

An email can be sent to info@thenauticalresearchguild.org  at any time to ask for your number - you will need to tell Mary your name, city and state (we do have duplicate member names) and she will return your email with your number - no later than the next business day.

We provide each member with notice of when their membership is due to lapse, right on that mailing label "EXPIRES VOLUME 62 - ISSUE 4" appears for the first two issues (assuming a January start date) telling the member his membership us up when he receives the issue noted.  With the 3rd issue (2 issues to go) the words 'RENEW SOON" are printed on the label.  The next issue has "LAST ISSUE - RENEW NOW". 

When a member lapses we keep them on the mailing list until time for the next Journal to go out.  At that point they go onto a recently lapsed list so reinstatement is very easy.  We even send emails before somebody lapses yet Mary is kept quite busy reinstating up to 20 or 30 who wind up lapsing each issue, because once the next issue ships w/o the member's renewal they need to pay for mailing of the missed issue - IF we have any in stock.  So, the best way to keep your collection intact w/o missing copies is to heed the messages on the mailing labels and renew early - and this helps keep Mary happy too, and I truly appreciate that.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Brian,

The membership fee reflects postage and handling, as stated on NRG's website

The cost of mailing the Journal affects the cost of your membership (prices are in US Dollars).

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Brian, I suspect it's a balancing act between cost of membership and journal and the number of copies sold/members.  There would always be a certain number who would refuse to continue their association if the price went up, even a little bit, and no matter how well-explained or desperately needed.

That wouldnt exactly be fair either....increasing the price for US members to overcharge for shipping as a way to subsidize international members not willing to pay for shipping.   Its just a matter of waiting for the electronic version....You cant expect others to subsidize international shipping.  Its just not right.

For those trying to find their NRG member number, and who like me had thrown out the packaging and secretary's letter already, I was able to go into the NRG Store and find it (I think). I selected the option to renew membership and (can't quite remember the exact sequence) it took me to a place where I could see when I last updated my membership (June last year). Their was a four digit reference number on this, so I'm assuming that is my membership number (at Ieast, I'm hoping it is!).

Just thought this might help some others (if I'm correct in my assumption about the four digit number).