bundybear1981

3D Printed Planking Clamps

Hi all,

Over the last few days I have been designing and printing a clamp to better hold down the planks for the glue to set.  They cost me about AUD$0.60 each to make (print cost of ABS and cost of nut&bolt) with the print taking about 2 1/2 hours per clip.

They allow more pressure to be applied then some other methods (such as bulldog clips and pegs) making them suitable where some pressure is needed, and being plastic with largish contact surface on the plank (4mm either side of the surface) will leave minimal to no marking on the planks!

Below are images of the clamps in SketchUp and on some scrap to show how they work.

If anyone wants the STL file I'm happy to provide it to them!  The bolts are a M4 35mm with a hex head and a M4 nut.

PlankingClamps.jpg

Clamp-a.jpg

Clamp-b.jpg

Hi Gregory,

I have temporarily place a plank in place to demonstrate how they work (this is my new build, not up to actually planking yet)

If you have any further questions please ask :) 

As shown the clamps grip the bulkheads and hold the planks firmly in place so the glue can dry.

WP_20170310_16_34_11_Pro.jpg

WP_20170310_16_34_24_Pro.jpg

I could do a design for a smaller size.  The current version takes a M4 (4mm thread) bolt and is 47.5mm long, 20.5mm wide in the mid section (25.25 on the head cube), tapered to 9.25mm on the tip of the jaws.  How small were you looking at?

Hi Bundy.  i am currently putting together a small boat (55mm long - so very, very small planks and bulkheads:)) and i am having difficulty keeping pressure on the planks (clinker build) with the usual methods I employ.  They would have to be about a quarter of that size, but that may be simply too difficult?  Rather than a metal screw, have you tried a printed one, or a cam clamp operation?

cheers

Pat

Canute, mtaylor, thibaultron and 1 other like this

I'm not sure how strong they would be getting that small, once you go under 1mm thick the strength drops a lot...  Something that small I'd be looking at pins and rubber bands.

In regards to the screw I thought about printing one but don't know if the printer would be able to give a decent thread (resolution of the printer) with enough strength to get pressure on the bulkhead.  The end user printers have a few limitations with what can be achieved. My printer is currently fitted with a 0.4mm print nozzle which is about the minimum thickness for most lines/textures. 

I'll run a job on the printer tonight with M1, M2 and M3 size bolts and see how they come out, with pictures posted tomorrow.

Thanks Bundy.  It is the combination of pins, balsa blocks (with vinyl tape backing to stop glue) and rubber bands (and the occasional large clamp to hold the block)  that I am trying to use at the moment - seems this may be the best approach :)  Thanks for trying the alternate sizes but don't waste money/time as I think you are right - anything small enough for my needs will not be robust enough.

Appreciate your efforts

Pat 

Hi Pat

Another idea for you -  have you tried the large hose clamps with blocks?

The clamps would allow more pressure to be applied to the model.  Bunnings has ones up to a 152mm diameter but I'd say if you go to a rural supply store / stockfeeds or a plumbing store they would have bigger yet again (think irrigation size!)

Canute, thibaultron, mtaylor and 1 other like this

Thanks for the suggestion Jason, but at the scale I am working that would destroy the boat :)  The OA length is only 50mm at 1:60; each bulkhead is only 0.6mm thick so I need a little care with the clamping.  A balsawood block with plastic tape on one side (to stop glue), held in place with rubber bands is working for the planks on the underside as I can turn the boat upside down on a wood block and wrap rubber bands around it.  the sides will be another story though; still toying with that.

cheers

Pat