HMS Pegasus by Blue Ensign - FINISHED - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64 scale

This is a beautiful ship and your work is great..! The Pegasus is definitely my next work after my current built.

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

BE,

I used to vacation on an island in the middle of the St Lawrence River. It was a classic boat heaven. In fact the cottage I rented was a converted Skiff house. The wood work was amazing, hand beading on the beams, etc. We used to see steam launches like this all the time. I had wanted to refurbish one, but I bought the wrong lottery tickets. 

The Ceremonial Barges, like Greg built are very nice.  I like the superstructure they have. In 1/48 or 1/24 it would be a beautiful model. I'd like to try building one at some point.

What ever you end up doing will be a treat.

Regards,

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Thoughts about Pegasus

This post concludes my build of seven years, and one I have thoroughly enjoyed, as I have enjoyed sharing this journey with my fellow modellers on MSW.

The  beauty of this model is that it is large enough for detail but not so big that it raises any serious display issues. It is also highly decorative and is placed in the period before the Nelson chequer and austerity removed much of the decoration from Georgian ships.

Victory models are the ‘posh’ end of Amati a bit like Lexus and Toyota, and the basic kit produces an attractive model of this pretty bijou Frigate.

Thanks are due to Chris Watton who designed the kit, and to Amati who produced it. Even so, most commercial kit manufacturers make simplifications to extend the appeal to a greater range of modeller ability, and include somewhat out of scale and generic fittings and Amati is no exception.

Much of the enjoyment for me has been in enhancing the kit by use of different materials and fittings and bashing it about a bit with a fair amount of scratch building.

Apart from the basic skeleton and some of the brass etch, very little of the kit provided material and fittings have been used, and I am quick to gloss over the additional costs involved.

Outside sourced materials and fittings.

Boxwood strips and section

http://www.originalmarquetry.co.uk/product_details_335.htm

Rigging blocks and associated attachments

https://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/

http://www.model-dockyard.com/

Rigging line.

http://home.foni.net/~agondesen/left.htm

Guns

http://www.rbmodel.com/index.php?action=products&group=023

Anchors

http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Fitting_Front.htm

lantern

Dowels- Ramin for lower masts

Various suppliers - check online

Additional brass etch.

http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Fitting_Front.htm

Scratched modifications

Stern Gallery style and decoration.

Great Cabin interior.

Beneath the Foc'sle deck.

Foc'sle rail and belfry.

Quarterdeck rails.

Head works and Cat heads.

Capstans, Gallows, and pumps.

Hatch Coamings

Swivel gun posts.

Masts and yards.

Scratched additions

Galley Stove, Galley Chimney.

Binnacle, Steering stanchions, and Tiller.

Rudder head Cover, Rudder coat.

Clerestory Style Companion top.

Hatch railings, Gang planks, Fish Davit.

Pinnace and Long Boat.

Swinging Booms, Flag staffs and Ensigns.

Reference Works.

For references I primarily used Steel and the Fully Framed book series by David Antscherl, cross referred to Lees, and Marquardt.

Particularly in relation to Masting and Rigging I used Steel to work out the dimensions and line sizes.

http://www.hnsa.org/resources/manuals-documents/age-of-sail/the-elements-and-practice-of-rigging-and-seamanship/

I am quite pleased with the end result of my build and there are only a  couple of things I would have done differently were I starting now.

1) I would have reduced the width of the first(Bridle) port to make it narrower than a standard gun port.

2) I would have included the bands of top and butt deck planking on the upper deck.

I would also hope to improve the finish in some of the areas where my knowledge exceeds my skill to carry it out.

I will finally post some completion photo's in the next few days.  :)

Thank you all for following along.

Blue Ensign

8th April 2017.

Thank you for all the references. And thank you for completing and allowing us to  follow along with such a wonderful log.

It's been a real privilege, as well as an education, to follow this build B.E. Thank you for all the extra time and effort you have put into the log for our benefit. A truly beautiful model of which you can be justly proud.

I also would like to Thank You for all your time and effort and for sharing your knowledge and techniques with us all. I will be so looking forward to your next adventure.

Ahh, BE -- I find myself feeling ambivalent about seeing you conclude your fabulous log.  Every day I have looked forward to an update on your Pegasus, to admire your skill and enjoy your English wit as you narrate your procedures and sources. 

Congratulations, and get going on something new SOON!

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

It's both sad and joyous to see this ship finished, B.E.   I've thoroughly enjoyed the voyage.  But... I'm also looking forward to your next venture.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It's a amazing build. Your knowledge and skills are above and beyond most of us mortals (referring mainly of myself).

Thank you taking the time explaining things and showing us what's what etc.

Regards

Doug

Completed: HM Brig Supply - JoKita / Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Fly - Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Sherborne - Caldercraft 1:64

HM Brig Flirt - Vanguard 1:64

Hi B.E.

Thank you for taking us along on your exciting 7-year-adventure (and for rebuilding that outstanding log).

You created a real work of art and a reference for other builds and builders.

I'm looking very eagerly forward to the next adventure.

Cheers

Peter

Wonderful completion photos B.E.

a real Gem in memory of the "Swan Class" and an extraordinary well built model...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Beautiful model. Excellent details and the color scheme is wonderful. Congratulations on a fine model.

Russ

Brilliant work, obviously B.E.  A very richly earned Congratulations.  You must be extraordinarily proud.  I look forward to milking your log and the knowledge contained therein when I pull the Peg down from the shelf and get her underway.

Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us.

B.E., I did not have the time to look in for a while, so I just realized that your Pegasus is finished. Congratulations! What a fantastic model! You did an outstanding job! And the same is true for your build log. It will serve a lot of modelers as a guide when building their own models. At least I know it is and will be true for me. Thank you!

Best regards,

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

• 3 weeks later...